2011 MLB Catch-All Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/6...y-embolism-back

BOSTON -- Boston Red Sox pitcher Bobby Jenks has been diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism in his back, but he's doing fine and it's not career threatening, according to manager Terry Francona.

Doctors found the embolism, which occurs when the main artery of the lung or one of its branches becomes blocked, during the course of all the testing Jenks had on his back.

More On The Red Sox

Gordon Edes and the rest of the ESPNBoston.com team have the Red Sox covered for you. Blog

"Bobby's doing fine, and he's on the proper medication. He's doing great," Francona said.

Jenks, who remains with the team, is shut down from all physical activities for the foreseeable future, according to Francona. Francona reiterated, however, that this situation would not end the pitcher's career.

"I don't believe so," he said. "It's not something to mess around with, but it was a very small embolism and they have it under control. Certainly they want it to go away, but I they feel like he's in good shape."

Jenks has made three trips to the disabled list this season, twice because of back tightness. The right-handed reliever is 2-2 with a 6.32 ERA in 19 appearances this season, his first with Boston after six seasons with the White Sox.

"It's certainly nothing to mess around with, there just needed to be a lot of testing," Francona said. "Bobby was put on the proper medication, and that's probably going to slow down the efforts to look at his back a little bit, but in a hurry the back becomes secondary."

Joe McDonald covers the Red Sox for ESPNBoston.com.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)
Rivera's postseason numbers: 8-1, 0.71 ERA, 139.2 IP, 2 homers, 21 BB, 109 K

But that one was oh, so sweet.

Does anyone else think it would be cool if Rivera got just one more save this season and retired so that he and Hoffman would be tied? I respect both highly and it would just be the coolest ending to me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)

Does anyone else think it would be cool if Rivera got just one more save this season and retired so that he and Hoffman would be tied? I respect both highly and it would just be the coolest ending to me.

Personally, I want Mariano to not only break it, but destroy it. Love Hoffman, but Mariano is the best and will permanently put an end to those homer Padre fans who was really the best closer to ever do it. (since the saves record is their only argument they got left and also no disrespect to Eck who is another one) I can still see Mariano pitching for another 2-3 years (possibly more) IF he wanted to. 41 years old and still putting up a 0.93 WHIP.. amazing. (then again.. Hoffman put up a 0.90 WHIP at the same age which was his lowest since like 1998 which is even more ridiculous)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Personally, I want Mariano to not only break it, but destroy it. Love Hoffman, but Mariano is the best and will permanently put an end to those homer Padre fans who was really the best closer to ever do it. (since the saves record is their only argument they got left and also no disrespect to Eck who is another one) I can still see Mariano pitching for another 2-3 years (possibly more) IF he wanted to. 41 years old and still putting up a 0.93 WHIP.. amazing. (then again.. Hoffman put up a 0.90 WHIP at the same age which was the lowest since like 1998 which is even more ridiculous)

I can't disagree with any of that.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)

Frankly...no, because Mariano Rivera deserves to have that record for a while.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz...at-marlins.html

CHATTER

The Marlins cut outfielder Mike Cameron late Monday night for conduct detrimental to the team. Two sources on Wednesday gave the reason: Cameron got into a verbal altercation with a flight attendant on the team's charter flight from Pittsburgh to Atlanta on Sunday.

The altercation did not turn physical, but the charter company filed a complaint. The Marlins' front office believed it could not keep Cameron after the incident. He wasn't in the team's longterm plans, anyway, and his release gives the Marlins a chance to give Bryan Peterson (.280) more at-bats over the final two weeks of the season. Cameron was hitting .238.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz...l#ixzz1Xwys2qo2

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 14, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)

I think that would be awful cause Mariano >>>>>> Hoffman as a pitcher.

Check out the Braves interleague schedule next year...

at TB

vs Tor

vs NY

vs Bal

at NY

at Bos

Uhh, when did the Braves start playing the Yankees twice?

Which means the Yankees play the Braves and Mets twice, plus Reds and Nationals.

Bring back the BALANCED SCHEDULE!

Edited by flavum