2011 White Sox Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
No mention of September call-ups anywhere?

Per Doug Padilla

CHICAGO – More will be known about the White Sox’s expanded roster just before Friday’s make-or-break series at Detroit.

The one obvious move will be to activate A.J. Pierzynski from the disabled list where he spent nearly three weeks with a bone compression in his left arm. The White Sox are expected to move forward with three catchers in Pierzynski, Tyler Flowers and Donny Lucy.

The club is also expected to add right-hander Shane Lindsay and infielder Eduardo Escobar from Triple-A Charlotte. Left-hander Hector Santiago is also expected to be called up from Double-A Birmingham.

Triple-A right-hander Addison Reed could also get the call, although his promotion isn’t as certain. Reed is having a standout season, posting a 1.26 ERA with four different White Sox minor-league clubs this season over three separate levels. In 11 outings (21 1/3 innings) at Charlotte, he has a 1.27 ERA with two saves.

Manager Kenny Williams said this week that he is prepared to recall Reed only if the White Sox are in contention. It’s possible that Williams might wait to make a decision on Reed until he knows where the team stands after this weekend’s series against the Tigers.

One move Williams doesn’t seem prepared to make is to call up outfielder Jordan Danks, the brother of pitcher John Danks, who will start in the series opener Friday. Williams believes the White Sox have enough outfield coverage at this time.

Interesting no Milledge.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)
Wow, how can they not call up Milledge? I mean, he is on the 40-man, and he can definitely help this team win.

I hate to say it, but...

Where would he play?

Pierre is playing. Period. Merit can be debated but we all know nothing will change. De Aza deserves to play over Rios - whether he will or not who knows. Quentin is going to play when healthy. Then there's Lillibridge who has earned PT, Flowers who will probably DH some and Dunn will play once or twice a week. Milledge is not a good defender so he wouldn't really get any at bats. The only OF I thought that might come up was Danks and only because of his brother and defensive ability.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 07:23 AM)
I hate to say it, but...

Where would he play?

Pierre is playing. Period. Merit can be debated but we all know nothing will change. De Aza deserves to play over Rios - whether he will or not who knows. Quentin is going to play when healthy. Then there's Lillibridge who has earned PT, Flowers who will probably DH some and Dunn will play once or twice a week. Milledge is not a good defender so he wouldn't really get any at bats. The only OF I thought that might come up was Danks and only because of his brother and defensive ability.

Well said. Being a terrible defender and nothing special on the bases is what kept him out of Chicago. We have plenty of DH type OFers on this team. We don't really need another.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 01:12 AM)
I listen to his podcast religiously, and only borderline Cy Young contenders are aces to him. Not that much of a slight, really.

So in other words, there's maybe 1 pitcher a year who comes up through the minors that he'd say profiles as a #1.

From what I've seen, Sale has #1 stuff. Will his stuff out of the pen translate to 8 innings and 100+ pitches exactly the same? Probably not. Will he stay healthy as a starter? Maybe, maybe not. But I think the potential is there. More likely he ends up as a 2/3, which would be fine, but I don't think it's unrealistic to say he could become a legit #1 in a couple years

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Which means he is going to be one of your back ups. And lets face it, he is faster, runs the bases better, and is a much better defender that Milledge.

Frankly...I'm not quite sure. Rios has been bad in CF this year. He may still be average as an RF. And I dont' know why I should think that he runs the bases better...I can't recall having been obviously impressed by his baserunning skills.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Frankly...I'm not quite sure. Rios has been bad in CF this year. He may still be average as an RF. And I dont' know why I should think that he runs the bases better...I can't recall having been obviously impressed by his baserunning skills.

You saw Milledge this year right? He was Carlton Fisk bad in the OF. He also was bad on the bases. This isn't a complement to Rios, it is slap at the terribleness of Lastings at anything but hitting, and even that isn't as special as it has been made out to be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
Which means he is going to be one of your back ups. And lets face it, he is faster, runs the bases better, and is a much better defender that Milledge.

Rios offers nothing offensively. There's nothing wrong with having Milledge around in the event we need a RH pinch hitter.

And to be honest, I don't like Rios being used as a defensive replacement, at least not this year. Not only has his effort been terrible, but he just seems clueless out there as of late. With September callups, I'd most likely give him and Dunn permanent spots on the bench.

Speaking of which, if the Sox somehow pull off a miracle and make the playoffs, does Dunn even make the roster? I think you'd have to be crazy to include him on there at this point. The question is would KW/Ozzie be willing to add more embarrassment to his already sensitive state.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
I have to agree. Milledge isn't an improvement

Depends on what we're using him for.

Compared to Juan Pierre's bat, he might well be an improvement, and you can't defend Juan by saying "But Milledge has been terrible on defense!" because so has Juan.

If you're trying to put him in CF, yeah, that's a defensive mess...but the guy who has played CF for most of the season has been worse in almost every way.

Milledge/Lillibridge or De Aza/Viciedo >> Pierre/Rios/Viciedo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Depends on what we're using him for.

Compared to Juan Pierre's bat, he might well be an improvement, and you can't defend Juan by saying "But Milledge has been terrible on defense!" because so has Juan.

If you're trying to put him in CF, yeah, that's a defensive mess...but the guy who has played CF for most of the season has been worse in almost every way.

Milledge/Lillibridge or De Aza/Viciedo >> Pierre/Rios/Viciedo.

Juan's hitting over .280.

He's good.

He was only bad defensively for one month and he's demonized by Sox fans.

I'll never get the Juan hate.

Just saving greg the time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Juan's hitting over .280.

He's good.

He was only bad defensively for one month and he's demonized by Sox fans.

I'll never get the Juan hate.

Just saving greg the time.

Hes better than Milledge