IHSA playoff thread hoops

My Benet Redwings lose to East Aurora to halt an undefeated season way too early!

My theory is Benet should never have agreed to play Simeon in the regular season. Benet was not the same team after that game.

From afar, my feeling is that game was Benet's state title game. And in reality it didn't mean squat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)
My Benet Redwings lose to East Aurora to halt an undefeated season way too early!

My theory is Benet should never have agreed to play Simeon in the regular season. Benet was not the same team after that game.

From afar, my feeling is that game was Benet's state title game. And in reality it didn't mean squat.

Also doesn't help when you have to play a team like East Aurora on their home floor.

All I know is the Rockford East E-Rabs are headed to the sectional final! :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
How is beating Simeon bad? Sobolewski good, Kaminsky overrated.

Sobolewski is really good, not sure how that's going to translate at NU but that kid can definitely play. I actually like Kaminsky as well, he's not exactly a banger down low but he's decently athletic for a 7 footer and can shoot as well, he'll be just fine at Wiscy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 02:56 PM)

Being from Aurora I know East is a good team, especially on their home floor. I'm pretty sure kshoe04 was at the game so I will wait for his response on his thoughts on the game.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
How is beating Simeon bad? Sobolewski good, Kaminsky overrated.

My Warren Blue Devils should make it to state barring a choke.

Well my theory (which could be off base) is that Benet was so looking forward to that rematch against Simeon that, upon winning, the team lost some of its edge. Benet avenged that loss and didn't really play well again. Naperville North lost to Benet 42-40 in double overtime in the game before the E. Aurora game. 40 points?

Boatright kicked some major ass. Why in the world is he going to UConn???

Tomcats! That Boatright is a heck of a player. Looking forward to seeing EA play against redbird recruit Jon Hill on Friday. The place was electric on tuesday night. One of the most exciting games I've seen there in the 20 years I've been going.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Well my theory (which could be off base) is that Benet was so looking forward to that rematch against Simeon that, upon winning, the team lost some of its edge. Benet avenged that loss and didn't really play well again. Naperville North lost to Benet 42-40 in double overtime in the game before the E. Aurora game. 40 points?

Boatright kicked some major ass. Why in the world is he going to UConn???

You say that like he's going to some D2 program. He's only going to the best conference in college basketball.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:15 AM)
You say that like he's going to some D2 program. He's only going to the best conference in college basketball.

Yeah UConn has 3 final fours and two championships in the last 11 years. I'd say it's a pretty decent program.

I LOVE Chicago high school basketball.

My De La Salle Meteors once again bowed out earlier than they should have. Yes, it's always a tough road because of how unbalanced it is with simeon, whitney young, De, farragut, mount carmel, ignatius, and a bunch of other top teams always in the same sectional, but this should have been the year with Shaw and Henley as seniors along with the sophmore trio of Foster, Tate, and Ellis. Oh well. I'm excited to see the trio for the next 2 years and am happy that De will continue to be a hoops powerhouse.

As for benet, I went to that game at uic when they beat simeon, and it was one of the best live games I've seen in a while. From the moment I saw the teams come out and their layup lines, simeon with all 10 dunking, benet in their all white warmups with a couple of kids missing layups, I thought it might be a rout. But benet played the game of their lives. And their student section was amazing. I loved their chants. You can't fault that win at all. It was just their night. Yes, there's that theory that you'd rather lose during the season so you don't carry that into the playoffs, come back hungry from a loss, learn from a loss, etc., but it was just their night that night. And boatright is an amazing player. I don't understand that uconn comment at all.

2011 class has been amazing to watch...davis, Shaw, Henley, blackshear, boatright, randle, egwu, abrams, brooks, sobeleski, kaminski, all live. I just watched anthony davis play my Meteors this year. He is a big-time talent talent; perspectives was so bad he had to lob it off glass to himself a couple of times. Fun to watch blackshear live from his freshman year at curie playing at the holiday classic at DePaul to playing against boatright at Chicago state to playing against randle at uic this year. Watching my Meteors at home, on the road, at loyola against detroit country day in an EPIC overtime game, one of the best live games I've ever seen, where Henley was being called the top player in the state after he stepped up, along with Needham outplaying mccallum, even though they lost, at northwestern for the city suburban showdown beating north lawndale, at uic last year beating simeon, etc., etc., etc.

Gonna be fun to watch the 2013 class. Parker is ridiculous. And I'm excited about the De trio :)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 9, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Also I haven't seen a high school player in the past ten years that I like or respect less than Sobolewski. He seems like a spoiled baby.

He seems like a complete douche, doesn't he? I got that same vibe from him.

Warren gets to blow Mundelein out again this season on Friday in the Sweet 16. Expecting them to play Niles North next Tuesday. Warren should make it to the title game in Peoria before playing a better team in Simeon or Young. I actually fear Whitney Young more than Simeon right now.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 01:27 AM)
I LOVE Chicago high school basketball.

My De La Salle Meteors once again bowed out earlier than they should have. Yes, it's always a tough road because of how unbalanced it is with simeon, whitney young, De, farragut, mount carmel, ignatius, and a bunch of other top teams always in the same sectional, but this should have been the year with Shaw and Henley as seniors along with the sophmore trio of Foster, Tate, and Ellis. Oh well. I'm excited to see the trio for the next 2 years and am happy that De will continue to be a hoops powerhouse.

That sectional is ridiculous.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Where can I find the location for these games? I'd like to watch Young play a playoff game.

ihsa.org Young will be playing friday at york high school in elmhurst. If they win they will most likely be playing Simeon tuesday at hinsdale central high school.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
ihsa.org Young will be playing friday at york high school in elmhurst. If they win they will most likely be playing Simeon tuesday at hinsdale central high school.

Kinda of ironic locations for two city teams to play in huh?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Kinda of ironic locations for two city teams to play in huh?

It really is. If Thornton from Harvey wins on Friday they have to travel to ISU for their Super Sectional, where they could be playing East St. Louis. I'm glad I only have to go out to Dekalb if East Aurora wins on friday.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
True story. Two classes was so much better.

The crowds at Peoria are awful. Public League teams bring nobody. If the IHSA is going to keep 4 classes, 3A and 4A state needs to be moved further north.