2011 White Sox closer

justBLAZE

116 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the closer this year?

• Matt Thornton
    • Chris Sale
    • Someone else
    • combo/commitee

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Totally pulling this out my ass. But I wonder what it would take to land Soria? His contract runs through next year. They're certainly not going to resign him. The Royals are about set to unleash their farm soon. They've got Crow, Jeffress and Collins.

i know youll appreciate this comment, at least more than those who like to jump down throats of anyone who bashes our minor league system....but outside of mitchell, i can't even comprehend that their stacked system would even want anything from ours.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
i know youll appreciate this comment, at least more than those who like to jump down throats of anyone who bashes our minor league system....but outside of mitchell, i can't even comprehend that their stacked system would even want anything from ours.

Yeah. Simple case of fantasy vs reality. Reality wins in a knockout.

Just going with pitchers in the Sox organization, this is the pitching staff I'm looking forward to:

Starters: Danks, Peavy, Buehrle, Jackson, Floyd

Bullpen:

Humber--long relief

Pena-- long relief and slop

Ohman--LOOGY and slop

Carter-- inning here and there and setup when Crain and Thornton are taxed

Thornton--lefty setup

Crain--righty setup

Santos--CLOSER

I want Sale to be in the minors starting and I'm going to be consistent about this the rest of the season.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Just going with pitchers in the Sox organization, this is the pitching staff I'm looking forward to:

Bullpen:

Humber--long relief

Ohman--LOOGY and slop

Thornton--lefty setup

Crain--righty setup

Santos--CLOSER

I want Sale to be in the minors starting and I'm going to be consistent about this the rest of the season.

Makes perfect sense. We are 2 1/2 and 2 games up on the Twins and Tigers respectively despite our bullpen doing everything it can to cost us games, so you want to send Sale down and call up some average right-handed relief prospect who isn't ready for the majors. I'm sure that will solve our bullpen problems and help us maintain our lead over our real rivals.

We need to drive through this, full steam ahead...as bad as it's been, we are a 7-5 team.

The more rational side of myself says we need to make a change at closer, but not start demoting guys to AAA or looking elsewhere...yet. Crain or Santos should close at this point. Return Thornton to being the setup man, and see if it resolves his issues...and move on.

It's easy to get heated and angry at each other right now...I know I did with BigHurt earlier, and it was silly of me to do so.

We can't take this out on each other...we need to keep focused and remember it's a marathon.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Makes perfect sense. We are 2 1/2 and 2 games up on the Twins and Tigers respectively despite our bullpen doing everything it can to cost us games, so you want to send Sale down and call up some average right-handed relief prospect who isn't ready for the majors. I'm sure that will solve our bullpen problems and help us maintain our lead over our real rivals.

Yes.

I want a decent arm to be in middle relief. Thornton and Crain in setup roles, where they belong. And Santos to close, because he has closer stuff and a closer demeanor.

I think Sale is best served starting in the minors, and I'm not changing my opinion.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)

Bullpen:

Humber--long relief

Ohman--LOOGY and slop

Thornton--lefty setup

Crain--righty setup

Santos--CLOSER

Pretty much exactly how I feel, but I'd like to think that Kenny might be shopping around for bullpen help too.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Pretty much exactly how I feel, but I'd like to think that Kenny might be shopping around for bullpen help too.

Eh... I doubt if he's looking this early. Remember last year when the Sox got off to a bad start, he was the voice of reason telling everyone to 'calm down... it's way too early in the season'..

It was nice to see Ozzie stop being a diplomat and start showing his aggravation in the post game interview today.

Looks like it's Sanots time - we really have no other options it seems. Man, it was disappointing to see Sale unable to lock it down - I was happy to see him coming in at the top of the ninth... Disappointing to say the least but I really think that this will get worked out and we will look back at the start of the year as our worst ball of the year.

Hopefully it turns around right now though because 7 and 5 isn't bad at all...

We just need to turn the corner with the pen and our D

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 12, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
This sure is a telling statistic:

• The White Sox have two losses in games during which they led after eight innings. The team finished 76-3 in 2010 when leading after eight.

Make it 3

It's funny. I'm not nearly as worried as most are about the 'pen. Well, at least of our pitchers that actually have talent. I'm gonna give Ozzie (yes, this will shock you) the benefit of the doubt here. As we all know by now, bullpens make no f***ing sense a lot of the time. They're more unpredictable than when I'm drunk. And that's pretty bad. Let's give Ozzie a chance to get this straightened out. And this really is J4L posting. Ranger did not hack into my account.

J4L-- I'm giving Ozzie and Kenny the benefit of the doubt, because I absolutely believe both should be fired if the Sox don't make the playoffs this year of "all-in".

Plenty of time to figure this out and there's plenty of talent on this team, but at the end of the season they have to be on top of the standings, or it's time to make organizational changes.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
J4L-- I'm giving Ozzie and Kenny the benefit of the doubt, because I absolutely believe both should be fired if the Sox don't make the playoffs this year of "all-in".

Plenty of time to figure this out and there's plenty of talent on this team, but at the end of the season they have to be on top of the standings, or it's time to make organizational changes.

The late inning meltdowns are no doubt a major pain in the ass, as has been the defense. But I'm really pleased with the offense and SP to this point. The offense in particular. CQ and Beckham overall look infinitely better than they did this time last year. PK looks like he told the regression police to f*** themselves. Ramirez is having a good April. And then there's Dunn. Adam Dunn. And I look at this division, though I obviously have to respect the Twins, and I truly believe failure of '94 Sonics proportions would have to occur for us not to win it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 13, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
It's funny. I'm not nearly as worried as most are about the 'pen. Well, at least of our pitchers that actually have talent. I'm gonna give Ozzie (yes, this will shock you) the benefit of the doubt here. As we all know by now, bullpens make no f***ing sense a lot of the time. They're more unpredictable than when I'm drunk. And that's pretty bad. Let's give Ozzie a chance to get this straightened out. And this really is J4L posting. Ranger did not hack into my account.

I am predicting you are drunk at 11:46 AM next Tuesday, the 19th