Southwest Region

They are underrated because they got a 9 seed when they were ranked top 20 by the 2 ratings systems that people who actually know college basketball trust the most. But you guys can knock yourselves out with RPI and the coaches poll.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:09 PM)
lol, underrated teams dont lose 9 conference games in a season.

Also love how you dismiss the polls others bring up because they dont support your opinion.

4th place in the Big Ten. Oh, and you know who else lost 9 games in conference? UCONN

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 12:14 AM)
4th place in the Big Ten. Oh, and you know who else lost 9 games in conference? UCONN

I must have missed the part of Illinois winning the B10 tournament.

You can say people may be overlooking Illinois but they not underrated. They are exactly where they should be.

Illinois has 14 losses to UConn's 9 (out of conference games also count), and also has Kemba Walker. They also have quite a few more quality wins than Illinois, and I'm not sure how anybody watches those two teams and doesn't conclude UConn is a much better team.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
I must have missed the part of Illinois winning the B10 tournament.

You can say people may be overlooking Illinois but they not underrated. They are exactly where they should be.

Yeah they got knocked out of the tournament by a team who won by 30 yesterday.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
Illinois has 14 losses to UConn's 9 (out of conference games also count), and also has Kemba Walker. They also have quite a few more quality wins than Illinois, and I'm not sure how anybody watches those two teams and doesn't conclude UConn is a much better team.

UCONN is definitely better than Illinois. I only brought up UCONN to show 9 conference losses is a ridiculous thing to judge teams on.

Illinois played 18 games against teams in the tournament. They beat Wisconsin and North Carolina and destroyed Gonzaga (who was favored today vs BYU, wtf?). They played very well against Purdue x2, OSU, and Texas among others. Yeah they lost to UIC and Indiana but s*** happens especially when you live by the 3. Heck Florida lost to Jacksonville and Syracuse got crushed by Seton Hall. Illinois was like 1-8 in games decided by 5 or less or in OT. Win a few of those and they are a 4/5 seed easy.

Again, I'm not saying Illinois is going to win. Heck I'm not even saying that they're good. But they are no worse than Cincinnati or Washington. They are an incredibly inconsistent team, but you can say that for most of the teams in the tournament this season.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
ok, youre trolling. You did pretty good.

Trolling? You must not know the definition of trolling. And did they or did they not lose to Michigan in the BTT? And did Michigan win by 30 on Friday?

Ok I'm gonna pull rank here and tell everyone to end this conversation. This is a pointless argument. We'll have more than enough Illinois talk for the actual game tomorrow so drop this one please. If you absolutely have to argue with someone over the internet then PM each other.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Someone is offering to give me Illinois +19.5 (actual line is +8.5). I'm not trying to be a homer but think I have to take it...

Yeah, anytime someone is willing to give you 11 extra points, you take it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
Someone is offering to give me Illinois +19.5 (actual line is +8.5). I'm not trying to be a homer but think I have to take it...

Here's hoping you didn't take it. I think Self is going to take vengeance on Illinois for the crap they threw at him (the way the AD treated him on the way out, the mock funeral)....

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
Here's hoping you didn't take it. I think Self is going to take vengeance on Illinois for the crap they threw at him (the way the AD treated him on the way out, the mock funeral)....

The funeral thing has taken on a life of its own. It wasn't even directed at Self. It was weber's way of getting his team (and the fans) to stop b****ing about Self leaving and to move on. Clearly it worked.

Couldn't be less surprised at what happened to Purdue, never bought what they were selling. Needed Robbie Hummel, and even then, I'm not sure how much noise they'd have made in the tournament. Not sure why he was crying on the bench either, he'll be back next year to play with a roster vastly inferior to the one they have this year!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Couldn't be less surprised at what happened to Purdue, never bought what they were selling. Needed Robbie Hummel, and even then, I'm not sure how much noise they'd have made in the tournament. Not sure why he was crying on the bench either, he'll be back next year to play with a roster vastly inferior to the one they have this year!

Illinois playing pretty solid D, but the offense (mccamey) hasn't shown up to play. Kansas is just killing them inside.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
illinois taking it to the rim, drawing contact, and not getting the foul calls.

They got jobbed for 2 possessions in a row. They need those calls to fall their way if they are going to have a chance.

Edited by RockRaines