4/8/11 - Sox vs. Rays - 7:10 (WCIU)

I'm gonna take s*** for this, but as far as I'm concerned... take Thornton out of the closer's role NOW!!! No more damage needs to be done and his mentality needs to stay strong. Keep him in the role he's an absolute beast at since he doesn't have the variety to be a closer. Santos and Sale both seem better fit for it, so try something else before this has a chance to be a big problem.

Edited by TheBigHurt

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
Did we seriously commit two errors with one out? I don't know how you can blame this on Thornton when that happens.

lmao, he still gave up 5 hits anyways

Yes, the errors were unfortunate.. but Thornton has been terrible as the closer thus far, there is no possible defense for that

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Did we seriously commit two errors with two outs? I don't know how you can blame this on Thornton when that happens.

Because he gave up a couple of singles and a homer with guys on base in a save situation. No matter how those guys got there, you can't do that.

Thornton's body of work will rightfully earn him the benefit of the doubt. But I've never been comfortable with a Farnsworth-like one-trick-pony on the closer role, and his two outings this year have made me even less comfortable.

Thornton's aiming it...when he lets it fly, he's more erratic and effectively wild. It never seemed like he wanted to be the closer, and I know for a fact the Sox organization didn't believe he had closer mentality. Unfortunately, Sale's struggles this spring training made them change their mind.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
lmao, he still gave up 5 hits anyways

Yes, the errors were unfortunate.. but Thornton has been terrible as the closer thus far, there is no possible defense for that

He gave up 4. Two of them were after the errors.

He had a 95 MPH fastball today. All of you just need to relax for crying out loud.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Really, 2 errors and 2 bloops in the 9th and now we're just done with Matt? And yes I know he gave up a bomb to Johnson but the inning should have been over already. Yeesh.

Anyways, this one hurts. Having 2 of your better defenders make errors in the 9th to lose a game is quite painful.

isn't that kind of significant?

You can't blame Thornton for this one, but his confidence and Ozzie's confidence is gone after this one ... 1st error is as much PKs fault and you have to blame him as much as Alexi (as did Harold Reynolds) Even if you miss it, knock it down and save the run. Turning your head? Pierre just plain sucks in every way ...

It's Santos time

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Thornton's aiming it...when he lets it fly, he's more erratic and effectively wild. It never seemed like he wanted to be the closer, and I know for a fact the Sox organization didn't believe he had closer mentality. Unfortunately, Sale's struggles this spring training made them change their mind.

i call BS on that, he's been saying all winter he wants the job and that he's earned the job. Not to mention what reliever in their right mind wouldn't want it? Much more $ out there for closers.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
He gave up 4. Two of them were after the errors.

He had a 95 MPH fastball today. All of you just need to relax for crying out loud.

No I don't need to relax, hes been awful everytime hes come out so far this season.. he was perfect where he was, we have two hard throwers with pretty good stuff in Sale and Santos.. I don't see any reason why Sale shouldn't have been the closer so Matt could have stayed in the role that he was dominant in..

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:32 AM)

I'm agreeing with all of fathom's posts this season. Weird.

Hey is it free mlb.com all weekend? Or ? Thanks.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
isn't that kind of significant?

Yes but the game should have been over by than, would have been quite the easy inning if Alexei and Juan make plays that they usually can make with their eyes closed. When you make the guy throw a bunch of extra pitches because you make 2 errors behind him, sometimes that s*** is going to happen.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
Yes but the game should have been over by than, would have been quite the easy inning if Alexei and Juan make plays that they usually can make with their eyes closed. When you make the guy throw a bunch of extra pitches because you make 2 errors behind him, sometimes that s*** is going to happen.

And unfortunately the game wasn't over by then, and Matt still couldn't get the job done.. We cant afford to let this happen 3-4 more times this month before we realize, yikes, this isn't working!

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
You can't blame Thornton for this one, but his confidence and Ozzie's confidence is gone after this one ... 1st error is as much PKs fault and you have to blame him as much as Alexi (as did Harold Reynolds) Even if you miss it, knock it down and save the run. Turning your head? Pierre just plain sucks in every way ...

It's Santos time

No, Pauly literally had no shot at that ball from where it bounced and who the hell cares if he knocks it down or not? It's not like it was the tying run getting into scoring position.

And Pierre is actually a very good lf who made just a horrendous play in that inning.

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
No I don't need to relax, hes been awful everytime hes come out so far this season.. he was perfect where he was, we have two hard throwers with pretty good stuff in Sale and Santos.. I don't see any reason why Sale shouldn't have been the closer so Matt could have stayed in the role that he was dominant in..

I don't know how you can call him awful. Will Ohman's been awful. You don't judge a player by 3 appearances, especially when there were two errors made behind him in the only blowup he's had so far.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:35 AM)
We probably should've lost the 2nd game in KC so I'll just consider this a wash.

It''s not mathematically easy to blow a 3 run lead in the ninth at home.

And it's almost impossible mathematically to come from behind and win with 2 outs like we did in KC in the ninth.

It may be a wash, but it sucks, cause our opposition on paper has SUCKED this season and we're 4-3.

Blah start.

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
You can't blame Thornton for this one

Bullcrap. Even after the two errors, he still had a two-run lead. You can't allow a single and a three-run homer at that point if you're a closer.

There's plenty of defensive blame to go around, but Matt still takes his share.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
And unfortunately the game wasn't over by then, and Matt still couldn't get the job done.. We cant afford to let this happen 3-4 more times this month before we realize, yikes, this isn't working!

I'll take it you didn't watch either of the blown saves so far.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)
Bullcrap. Even after the two errors, he still had a two-run lead. You can't allow a single and a three-run homer at that point if you're a closer.

People need to have a beer.

As much as I don't like Matt as closer, he can't be blamed for tonight's implosion.

He just can't be.

The defense f***ed him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)

There's plenty of defensive blame to go around, but Matt still takes his share.

It gives Bobby Jenks something to smile about.

I don't think they'll even entertain putting Sale back in the closer role because of their long term plans of using him as a starter as early as next year after Buehrle walks. The Sox wanted to have their closer situation RESOLVED in 2011 so they could go forward as planned with Sale's development. Thornton sucking as closer really hurts this team.

And stop saying Santos as closer. Dude doesn't have enough command of his pitches. He has one good outing, followed by one bad outing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
People need to have a beer.

As much as I don't like Matt as closer, he can't be blamed for tonight's implosion.

He just can't be.

The defense f***ed him.

And then he f***ed the team by blowing the lead. Plenty of blame to go around, but closers need to overcome bad defense. Especially when they still have the freaking lead.

And, yes, I will have a beer. :)

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 9, 2011 -> 03:39 AM)
Will Ozzie try Crain as closer?

Hope not...he's better as 7th/8th inning reliever, as is Thornton. Sale should be the closer or sent down to stretch out as a starter. If you can't pitch him in a game like tonight in the 7th, then he's being wasted.