Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
I am developing a lot of empathy for Boehler. He is in about the worst situation that any speaker has had to deal with, and I honestly do not believe it is even 10% his fault. I don't think anyone could have provided a solution that would work in this situation.

Basically as I am now seeing this it's like a poker player getting a crappy hand, no matter how you played it you were going to have to fold.

I don't know. Supposedly he had the support of the other republican house reps to get something down before the lockout. He's pandering to those tea party reps to save credibility, but I don't think he had to.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
The markets are rallying like they think a deal is about to happen.

The markets are rallying because they think the House isn't stupid enough to actually default. But, they may be underestimating the absolute stupidity of what's going on in the GOP right now.

However, I would tell people not to panic regardless ... if anything, look at it as an investment opportunity if they drive it off the cliff ... the market will rebound regardless, as it always does.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
The markets are rallying because they think the House isn't stupid enough to actually default. But, they may be underestimating the absolute stupidity of what's going on in the GOP right now.

However, I would tell people not to panic regardless ... if anything, look at it as an investment opportunity if they drive it off the cliff ... the market will rebound regardless, as it always does.

Yeah, if they don't get a deal done, I would buy back in on the end of the day of panic. We'll get a huge sell-off, which will be wiped out when a deal gets done.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I am developing a lot of empathy for Boehler. He is in about the worst situation that any speaker has had to deal with, and I honestly do not believe it is even 10% his fault. I don't think anyone could have provided a solution that would work in this situation.

Basically as I am now seeing this it's like a poker player getting a crappy hand, no matter how you played it you were going to have to fold.

Boehner could have put a bill that would pass weeks earlier. He's doing this to save his job role (speakership). Considering how many people would actually lose their job, I have no sympathy.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)

Sure just like real estate will always increase in value because land is a finite resource and thus scarce. The problem is that if you get in at the wrong time, you may be forced to sell or take a loss because you simply couldnt "wait for the market to rebound."

There are going to be real consequences because of this. It may not be devastating, but its just like a credit card where you had a low apr, but due to missing a payment it went up 20%. Sure, not the end of your life, but its wasted money for nothing.

And Id have to assume that is really the fundamental principle on being fiscally responsible, not wasting money you didnt have to waste.

The even better part is that to pay off the mistake, eventually someone is going to have to increase revenue (ie raise taxes).

And then we all get lol at ourselves, because we want less taxes, but we cant do the simplest thing to prevent them from being ultimately raised:

PAY YOUR f***ING BILLS ON TIME

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Politicians are becoming more obsolete, it's time to eliminate them.

Congress making a deal so they can leave Washington DC and take another long vacation again till after New Years and they will do the dance all over again.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Congress making a deal so they can leave Washington DC and take another long vacation again till after New Years and they will do the dance all over again.

Thank goodness most of them will be re-elected.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 05:03 PM)

Not to defend congress and all, but their "vacations" consist of meeting with constituents daily for hours. They leave washington to meet back home so their voters concerns can be met, and then brought back to Washington for next session.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Not to defend congress and all, but their "vacations" consist of meeting with constituents daily for hours. They leave washington to meet back home so their voters concerns can be met, and then brought back to Washington for next session.

The people they really care about are in Washington called lobbyists. The meetings with constituents is just a paid pr vacation.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
The Senate has reached a deal. I've yet to see any sign that this will pass in the House.

Oops, sorry. Not sure why yahoo thought it was a big deal to post. I should have read before posting.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 16, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
The Senate has reached a deal. I've yet to see any sign that this will pass in the House.

I've seen a lot of Senate spox quotes saying Boehner has agreed to vote on Senate bill, meaning Dems will pass it with like 20 repubs.

I've seen a lot of Senate spox quotes saying Boehner has agreed to vote on Senate bill, meaning Dems will pass it with like 20 repubs.

I've heard Boehner say a lot of things. I'll believe it when it actually comes up for a vote. I'm sure the Tea Party wing is working overtime to try to find a way to avoid it.