Sale the new closer?

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi-ball/2...new-closer.html

Phil Rogers thinks Ozzie Guillen will turn to Chris Sale as his new closer.

Can't wait to hear what Ozzie Guillen says before Friday's game against the Angels. He left U.S. Cellular Field on Wednesday with about 36 hours to draw up a plan to fix his bullpen, and no one should be too surprised if it involves a player move or two. But the one thing I expect to hear him say is this: Chris Sale is now my closer.

Sale, of course, was part of the ninth- and 10th-inning messiness against Oakland on Wednesday but he is the best non-Matt Thornton option. He essentially walked off the Florida Gulf Coast University campus to pitch in the AL Central race a year ago and didn't seem bothered by late-game heat. He's not a guy any opposing team would want to face. He should get the ball in the ninth inning Friday, and probably -- barring a trade to bring in a veteran -- the rest of the season.

Had Sale been Guillen's closer, he probably wouldn't have gotten into Wednesday's game. He had worked two scoreless innings to get a 10th-inning win Tuesday, throwing a career-high 34 pitches. He may have told Don Cooper he could pitch, but I have to believe he would have been protected if he was the closer. No matter his role, he probably shouldn't have pitched. This was an April 13 game against Oakland, not the playoffs.

It's obvious that Matt Thornton is just not cut out for the closer role. It happens all the time in baseball.

A guy who thrives in the 7th and 8th, but just can't get it done in the 9th. Sometimes it's not having the stuff, sometimes it's the guts.

La Troy Hawkins memories anyone?

With Thornton I don't think it's a stuff issue. It has to be mental.

Thornton lobbied for the role in spring training, but his control has suffered since. Even with some suspect defense behind him, it just hasn't worked.

Now you have to hope Thornton can jump back into his comfort zone as an all-star set-up man.

Rogers thinks Sale has the stuff and the make-up to get it done.

If not, Sergio Santos you are up next.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chi-ball/2...l#ixzz1JVzqXCag

I like Santos but there's no guarantee he'll be a good closer either.

You need an overpowering guy uh like Thornton was last year and the year before.

He's lost something.

How bout the Royals' Jeffries (sp) in the Brewer deal? Wow. Throwing 99 in setup role. Oh how I wish we had a guy with a heater to close.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
The article begins with "Phil Rogers thinks...", and provides no actual information from Ozzie or the Sox. This is meaningless, its just Rogers making a guess, no different than us guessing.

Not true... we're much better at guessing than Phil is.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)

You need an overpowering guy uh like Thornton was last year and the year before.

He's lost something.

How bout the Royals' Jeffries (sp) in the Brewer deal? Wow. Throwing 99 in setup role. Oh how I wish we had a guy with a heater to close.

You mean like Chris Sale, Sergio Santos, and Matt Thornton?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)

He's lost something.

Seriously?

Of course there is no guarantee, there are no guarantees with any of these guys.

Overpowering guy like Thornton? You mean like Santos or Sale, who both throw a fastball with similar velocity, but both have better secondary stuff?

And if he has lost something, its not power - his velocity is dead on the same as in previous years. He may have a mechanical issue that causes his stuff to miss or flatten out, but he's not lost any gas.