Osama Bin Laden Dead

SoxFanForever

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
You think college kids need to just get drunk for this and scream about the USA? because I guarantee this is what is happening for 70% of the kids on campuses. I just kind of hate that people use something as important as this just to act like jackasses.

At least you said it's very important.

But yes I think it's OK and good everybody is celebrating this.

Like a WS title I don't condone burning cars or destroying property, but

celebrating like it's a WS title??? f*** yes!

This Bin Laden mother f***er is responsible for HELL ON EARTH.

Families destroyed; our way of life changed forever.

Burn in hell Bin Laden and celebrate all you want, USA!!!

That's how I feel, sorry.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:14 AM)
At least you said it's very important.

But yes I think it's OK and good everybody is celebrating this.

Like a WS title I don't condone burning cars or destroying property, but

celebrating like it's a WS title??? f*** yes!

This Bin Laden mother f***er is responsible for HELL ON EARTH.

Families destroyed; our way of life changed forever.

Burn in hell Bin Laden and celebrate all you want, USA!!!

That's how I feel, sorry.

Hey, never said what you think is wrong. I just don't see important moments like this as a moment to get drunk and scream and say america, f*** yeah every ten seconds. I prefer to remember in a more respectful manner for the victims of his crimes. Not saying you should stop though, have a good time.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
Hey, never said what you think is wrong. I just don't see important moments like this as a moment to get drunk and scream and say america, f*** yeah every ten seconds. I prefer to remember in a more respectful manner for the victims of his crimes. Not saying you should stop though, have a good time.

I'm not out celebrating but I did feel good when I saw the celebrations on TV.

And your 2 posts flipped me out.

Sorry if I offended. But I have personal feelings about this matter because

yes, I know somebody who died on 9-11 and yes she is one who elected to jump out of the

building rather than burn in the building. It's so horrific to think that some people had

to decide whether they wanted to burn to death or jump and die on their own terms,

and that mother f***er was responsible for this and that family will never be the same.

So yes I want to celebrate this big time and I can understand why many hit

the streets to celebrate this.

Edited by greg775

s***. Why even bother with a 2012 Presidential election after this news. The election is over.

Really, your first thought after all those kids who've died, all the billions we've spent and all the division we've seen in our democracy is the f***ing presidential election? You need to take a break from politics man, you've been thoroughly poisoned.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:23 AM)
I'm not out celebrating but I did feel good when I saw the celebrations on TV.

And your 2 posts flipped me out.

Sorry if I offended. But I have personal feelings about this matter because

yes, I know somebody who died on 9-11 and yes she is one who elected to jump out of the

building rather than burn in the building. It's so horrific to think that some people had

to decide whether they wanted to burn to death or jump and die on their own terms,

and that mother f***er was responsible for this and that family will never be the same.

So yes I want to celebrate this big time and I can understand why many hit

the streets to celebrate this.

No offense taken here.

U-S-A chants, fireworks, and partying going on at Tennessee, like the rest of the colleges mentioned in this thread.

Great night. Long-time coming.... One thing I thought was cool was that my brother told me exactly how it went down before it broke on the news. While everyone was saying a missile strike, he was saying it was our "Tier One" Operators (e.g. Delta Force/CIA paramilitary guys) that likely led a ground assault... and then about 30 minutes after he told me that, the actual reports came out confirming that.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:30 AM)
I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I agree. Some of the pictures and videos I've seen make me shake my head. There's a difference between celebrating and throwing an outdoor frat party.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
I'm with you. I'm glad the dude is dead, but the way some people are celebrating this kind of makes me feel gross.

Thanks guys. I'm all for the unity, historic moment and such, but damn. My aunt was at NY at the time. A hug, prayer for the families/loved ones and relief is all we needed to "celebrate".

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
This is a victory, people should celebrate after 9 years of sacrifice that we've all endured (some much more than others).

It is big, but this isn't quite over yet. You want me to bust out my fireworks? Send our troops home/end the war. Maybe then I can act like a 19 year old college student and go crazy.

Edited by SoxAce

The details of the intelligence that brought him down are starting to emerge. It seems the feds found him because of facebook, he kept getting tagged in photos taken at the compound, and his top aids kept answering "15 questions about Osama". The CIA chief said he probably would have been ok when he only friended those closest to him, but once he started playing Farmville, he needed so many friends he was friending just about everyone.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
Really, your first thought after all those kids who've died, all the billions we've spent and all the division we've seen in our democracy is the f***ing presidential election? You need to take a break from politics man, you've been thoroughly poisoned.

Who said that was my first thought? Learn how to read.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but I agree. Some of the pictures and videos I've seen make me shake my head. There's a difference between celebrating and throwing an outdoor frat party.

I thought the same thing, but then I read about people who were in NYC or who lost loved ones, and how emotional this made those people, then I understand it more. Then again, most of the people in the street probably had no connection and are just looking for a party.

On a side note, I woke up in the middle of the night and found out the news. Turned on Fox News, and they had a live feed from Times Square. One of the guys "celebrating" was wearing a red Bulls D-Rose jersey, no joke.

I'm waiting for the middle eastern conspiracies to emerge... "Buried at sea", lol, that one is too easy. Just like there were no Jews in the Towers.

Anyways, glad we finally got our man, but at the sametime it does feel weird to see celebrations for someone's death. The big hope is that this breaks down some of the organizations wills to keep fighting. Plus there is still pleny of AQ senior leadership out there, which means someone could still step in and keep it together.

My other thought is how long until the revenge attack happens? OBL hasnt been able to hit the US for a long time now, I wonder if this is what makes the transition from large and spectacular attacks, to some Palestinian style attacks on anything and everything start to happen?

Wow, so many thoughts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
I'm waiting for the middle eastern conspiracies to emerge... "Buried at sea", lol, that one is too easy. Just like there were no Jews in the Towers.

Anyways, glad we finally got our man, but at the sametime it does feel weird to see celebrations for someone's death. The big hope is that this breaks down some of the organizations wills to keep fighting. Plus there is still pleny of AQ senior leadership out there, which means someone could still step in and keep it together.

My other thought is how long until the revenge attack happens? OBL hasnt been able to hit the US for a long time now, I wonder if this is what makes the transition from large and spectacular attacks, to some Palestinian style attacks on anything and everything start to happen?

Wow, so many thoughts.

My "I don't root for people on opposing sports teams to get hurt" rule has a few exceptions that I'm content with. Tetrahydrogestrinone, the Miami Heat, etc.

My "Killing people doesn't make the world safer" has one or two exceptions as well. That would be one of them.

Anywho...There's only "Senior Leadership" left in the sense of Zawahiri. The #3 guy in Al Qaeda has been killed more times than any of us can count.

And on the "revenge attack" thing...the only way that really makes sense is if AQ totally changes its style now that he's dead. They've still been looking for the big time attack, bringing down a plane or what not.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 1, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
s***. Why even bother with a 2012 Presidential election after this news. The election is over.

Like the 1992 election was over in 1991 when George 1 finished a crushing military victory over Iraq.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 2, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
I'm with you. I'm glad the dude is dead, but the way some people are celebrating this kind of makes me feel gross.

Jeez, where were you guys on 9/11? Osama Bin Laden's death is fantastic news and a great moment for this country. It's something to be prideful for when those occassions have been few and far between lately.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 2, 2011 -> 02:08 AM)
You think college kids need to just get drunk for this and scream about the USA? because I guarantee this is what is happening for 70% of the kids on campuses. I just kind of hate that people use something as important as this just to act like jackasses.

If you can't celebrate about this, what can you celebrate? This is 100x more important than some stupid sports championship that gets celebrated in the same fashion.

A pretty far cry from the cave. With the kinds of items that there are in the area, it's pretty easy to believe that the Pakistani army was directly aiding him.

Abbottabad, an hour's drive from the beautiful tourist town of Nathiagali, has its own airport. That would have made it convenient and easy for visitors to come to Bin Laden, and for him and his team members to leave quickly if they had warning of an attack. And while all of this is preliminary information, it paints a picture of a life lived in luxury, in the shadow of a major military base.

Local reports first indicated there had been a helicopter crash and the sound of heavy gunfire near the Pakistan Military Academy on the Kakul Road. The Military Academy is described as "Pakistan's West Point." Students of military uprisings may remember that a number of coups have been instigated by officer cadres who formed alliances in military academies.

The Frontier Force Regiment, which is based in Abbottabad, contains 67 armored and artillery battalions. It fought in several battles with India over the disputed province of Kashmir, and served as part of the multinational coalition that battled Iraq in the 1991 Gulf War. The Abbottabad base also features the Army Medical Center, a full hospital capable of treating virtually any kind of health problem. (If Bin Laden suffered renal failure, as was widely rumored, this would have been an ideal location.)

The COMSATS Institute of Information Technology was close to Bin Laden's reported compound. A large percentage of 9/11 conspirators were engineers, and Al Qaeda has relied strongly on computer technology. Again, this may be coincidence, but it adds to the impression that Bin Laden was in a prime location from which to lead Al Qaeda worldwide.

We don't know if Bin Laden ever left the house. But if he did, he theoretically could have taken a stroll in the local park, stopped off at the base for dialysis treatment, played a round of golf, then ended the day with some steamed mussels and grilled blackfish. And if Osama didn't care for the menu at the Red Onion, he could always go the Mona Liza, an older local restaurant. "Try their tuti fruity or chicken karahi," suggests an online reviewer.

Abbottabad is located in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the northwest province that borders Afghanistan and the disputed regions of Kashmir and Punjab. That makes it a nerve center for international conflict ... and commerce. Life Afghanistan, the region is primarily Pashtun. There are an estimated 1.5 million Afghan refugees there. By locating there, Bin Laden seems to have been "hiding in plain sight."

The implications of Bin Laden's luxurious life, in a resort town near a military base, are deep and significant. They could affect relationships between the United States and Pakistan, between the Pakistani military and the government, and even among various branches and factions within the military.

The location of Bin Laden's capture adds weight to reports that elements of the military and intelligence services have been helping Al Qaeda all along. That could also hamper Pakistan's efforts to control its own internal terrorism problem. A wave of recent terror attacks have been directed against Sufis and their shrines. Extremists have also carried out several recent assassinations, including that of Salman Tasneer, the governor of neighboring Punjab.

And Bin Laden's capture certainly has implications for the Red Onion in Abbottabad. If its prices are anything like those in the Woodstock Red Onion, how many other people in town could afford to bring a large party to a joint that charges ten bucks for an appetizer and twenty-five for an entree?