Jose Reyes anyone?

Fantl916

I, like most out there, agree that this team needs a shakeup. I like most out there, agree than Pierre needs to find his way to the bench. I also understand and we are maxed out salary-wise... yet there is a fix out there...

Jose Reyes

WHAT STEPHEN!? ARE YOU NUTS!?

NAY!

Think about it. When the Mets put him on the market this year they are probably going to field multiple offers of prospects (ie the Giants could offer Wheeler/Crawford/bla bla bla). Wouldn't the Mets be super stoked to nab Alexei?

What Stephen!? You're an idiot!

No, i'm not, I'm just not done yet... It is entirely possible that the Mets don't want a rebuilding phase, especially considering that theyre New Yorkers and the city would massacre them for not winning. If we dangled, say, Alexei and big contract wouldn't they have to bite? Now which contract you ask? Konerko and Dunn wouldn't be the best fits, we probably cant convince them to take Rios, but maybe a SP. Maybe Peavs....

Peavy, Addison Reed, another young arm and Alexei for Reyes with the caveat we sign him to an extension...

The Mets WOULD do this as Alexei is a cheap replacement with immediate credentials and would bring the most sure return amongst any prospect package they could possibly get. Peavy could be another rotation piece for a staff that is sorely lacking and the money might be worth the short term risk.

The Sox SHOULD do this, as I know the Alexei love runs deep (i'm amongst his biggest fans) but SS's like Reyes are few and far between. A benchmark for leadoff hitters, we could plant him up top and have him set the table for this team. We are already operating without Peavs and nobody is going to miss a couple young bullpen arms.

Just my thoughts, it certainly is against the norm, but i think it makes a ton of sense for both sides.

Let the flaming commence!

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Peavy, Addison Reed, another young arm and Alexei for Reyes with the caveat we sign him to an extension...

The Mets WOULD do this as Alexei is a cheap replacement with immediate credentials and would bring the most sure return amongst any prospect package they could possibly get. Peavy could be another rotation piece for a staff that is sorely lacking and the money might be worth the short term risk.

Alexei turns 30 this year and is nearly two years older than Reyes. I wouldn't call him a "prospect". When he's 32 & 33, they would owe him $9.5 mil & then $10 mil. That's not a "cheap" replacement.

Of course the Mets would do that (if they had the money). That's an awful deal for the Sox. Alexei is an elite SS in baseball. Not on Reyes level yet, but I don't think he is too far off overall. So then you add in Jake Peavy who is an elite SP (when healthy, big caveat), and Addison Reed who looks to have some good potential, AND then throw in another young arm? That's a haul and a half for the Mets (again, except for the money issue).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Of course the Mets would do that (if they had the money). That's an awful deal for the Sox. Alexei is an elite SS in baseball. Not on Reyes level yet, but I don't think he is too far off overall.

:unsure:

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
An elite SS? A talented one, yes. A mentally deficient one? Most definitely. Elite? No.

That threw me off, too. They're exactly two elite short stops in baseball. Hanley and Tulo. And Castro looks like he'll be in that category soon. How pathetic is that? The fricken Cubs develop talent internally better than we do.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
That threw me off, too. They're exactly two elite short stops in baseball. Hanley and Tulo. And Castro looks like he'll be in that category soon. How pathetic is that? The fricken Cubs develop talent internally better than we do.

I don't think there was much developing to do with Castro. I think he's naturally talented, even the Pirates couldn't screw him up.

1. Peavy would have to waive his no trade clause and he wouldn't.

2. Peavy has yet to throw a pitch in the majors this year and is going to make over $16m the next two years.

This would be worse than falling for a ponzie scheme.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
I don't think there was much developing to do with Castro. I think he's naturally talented, even the Pirates couldn't screw him up.

Castro is talented, but elite? He's going to hit for a high average but not for above average power, and while he has some speed he hasn't been much of a base stealer yet. I don't see him being anywhere near Tulo or Hanley.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 5, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
Castro is talented, but elite? He's going to hit for a high average but not for above average power, and while he has some speed he hasn't been much of a base stealer yet. I don't see him being anywhere near Tulo or Hanley.

I've seen some scouts project Castro as a .320 type hitter, 20 homers a year. Not superstar caliber, but definitely one of the top 5 SS in the game.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
I've seen some scouts project Castro as a .320 type hitter, 20 homers a year. Not superstar caliber, but definitely one of the top 5 SS in the game.

And if he hits 20 homers for more than 1 or 2 seasons, I will grant him elite status. I don't see it happening outside of maybe 1 or 2 seasons. But he's only 21, so no one can really say with any degree of certainty at this point.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)

Nothing short of injury will stop him from being a star. I look at skillset moreso than I do raw numbers. I'd trade anybody on our team for Castro.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
You don't think the Mets would take Alexei Ramirez, Jake Peavy, Addison Reed, + another good pitching prospect for 4 months+ of Jose Reyes if they had the money? That's insane.

It's moot, they don't have the money, and I don't think if they were trading Reyes they'd say "hot damn, that Alexei Ramirez would be a great get!"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Nothing short of injury will stop him from being a star. I look at skillset moreso than I do raw numbers. I'd trade anybody on our team for Castro.

Considering his age, I think most teams in the league would trade anybody on their team for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 5, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Considering his age, I think most teams in the league would trade anybody on their team for him.

Would the Rays trade Longoria? Would the Rockies trade Tulo? Would the Marlins or Dodgers trade Johnson or Kershaw? That's what I meant. I'm giving love to Castro and hating on our pathetic roster at the same time.