Hawk and Wimpy Reunite

dmbjeff

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 12, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
Who could hate the Wimperoo? I'm going to enjoy the broadcasts if I luck out and Extra Innings picks up the Sox feeds.

Is Sunday a WGN broadcast?

There is a story that Hawk said something really offensive to Wimpy years back, and that was why he left the booth in Chicago. I can't remember the details anymore, but it seems like it was something with the church abuse stuff, though I am not sure that is right.

I think the story was that Wimpy confided in Hawk about the abuse, and Hawk couldnt take it and turned on him.

I think the hatchet was buried, last season when Wimpy filled in, Hawk had nothing but nice things to say about him. IIRC, Hawk gave a somewhat anonymous apology on air, but I was pretty sure he was speaking about Wimpy.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 13, 2011 -> 03:19 AM)
Who could hate the Wimperoo? I'm going to enjoy the broadcasts if I luck out and Extra Innings picks up the Sox feeds.

Is Sunday a WGN broadcast?

No the only game I see on WGN is Friday nights. The duo should be entertaining

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 13, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
I think the story was that Wimpy confided in Hawk about the abuse, and Hawk couldnt take it and turned on him.

I think the hatchet was buried, last season when Wimpy filled in, Hawk had nothing but nice things to say about him. IIRC, Hawk gave a somewhat anonymous apology on air, but I was pretty sure he was speaking about Wimpy.

Yeah, as I recall the story, Wimpy was molested as a child. Hawk made jokes about the abuse to other people, thereby spreading the news on top of mocking Wimpy.

All in all, Hawk is a piece of human garbage. I can't wait until he's gone, one way or another.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Yeah, as I recall the story, Wimpy was molested as a child. Hawk made jokes about the abuse to other people, thereby spreading the news on top of mocking Wimpy.

All in all, Hawk is a piece of human garbage. I can't wait until he's gone, one way or another.

I'd pay to have you replace Hawk in the booth.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I'd pay to have you replace Hawk in the booth.

I wouldn't last a day. Even if it were a good game for the Sox, I'd drop about 15 F-bombs just out of habit.

In all honesty, I think Hawk actually died or retired years ago. They just have a technician in the booth working a soundboard with Stone. It has a bunch of pre-recorded rants and uninteresting stories and all of his standard sayings.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I wouldn't last a day. Even if it were a good game for the Sox, I'd drop about 15 F-bombs just out of habit.

In all honesty, I think Hawk actually died or retired years ago. They just have a technician in the booth working a soundboard with Stone. It has a bunch of pre-recorded rants and uninteresting stories and all of his standard sayings.

:lolhitting I think you may be right about that last part.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)

:hawk:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)

Yikes. The whole thing between Hawk and Wimpy is pretty low of Hawk, but to call the guy a piece of human garbage? Did he run over your dog or something? It's one thing not to like his announcing, but that doesn't make him a bad guy.

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Yikes. The whole thing between Hawk and Wimpy is pretty low of Hawk, but to call the guy a piece of human garbage? Did he run over your dog or something? It's one thing not to like his announcing, but that doesn't make him a bad guy.

IF true, and he actually did make jokes about a man getting molested when that man was a child, then yes, he is a piece of human garbage.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)

Indeed. If only he could be replaced in the booth with John Rooney. A Rooney/Stone combination would be superb.

Back in the day, when the Sox played in Milwaukee, Hawk and Wimpy would often stay at the Abbey on Lake Geneva where I worked at the front desk. They liked to play golf in the area. I worked nights and checked the both of them out several times early in the morning. Wimpy was especially nice and I talked with at great length one particular morning. I told him I was an avid Sox fan and that got the ball rolling. I told him how much I always liked a commercial for Sox games he did for channel 44 back when he was playing (he did a Dracula impression, I think the promo may have been for bat day). It was a classic. He talked about his kids and I talked about mine and he offered me tickets to that day's game which I declined because 1. I was tired (I was tired all the time for the 15 years I worked there...working nights sucks) and 2. I had to go home and take care of my kids while my wife worked. I always wished I could have taken those tickets. Anyway, Wimpy is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet and certainly one of my favorite announcers ever.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
IF true, and he actually did make jokes about a man getting molested when that man was a child, then yes, he is a piece of human garbage.

The good thing is...it does appear that the Hawk realized he'd done something wrong and apologized and made amends. That's something we approve of in this country.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Back in the day, when the Sox played in Milwaukee, Hawk and Wimpy would often stay at the Abbey on Lake Geneva where I worked at the front desk. They liked to play golf in the area. I worked nights and checked the both of them out several times early in the morning. Wimpy was especially nice and I talked with at great length one particular morning. I told him I was an avid Sox fan and that got the ball rolling. I told him how much I always liked a commercial for Sox games he did for channel 44 back when he was playing (he did a Dracula impression, I think the promo may have been for bat day). It was a classic. He talked about his kids and I talked about mine and he offered me tickets to that day's game which I declined because 1. I was tired (I was tired all the time for the 15 years I worked there...working nights sucks) and 2. I had to go home and take care of my kids while my wife worked. I always wished I could have taken those tickets. Anyway, Wimpy is one of the nicest guys you could ever want to meet and certainly one of my favorite announcers ever.

Wow that's awesome! I used to go to the Abbey after Christmas every year as a kid, I loved it (my parents had their honeymoon there and kept going back because they would get killer deals around Dec. 27th every year).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
The good thing is...it does appear that the Hawk realized he'd done something wrong and apologized and made amends. That's something we approve of in this country.

As much as an apology is appreciated, I will still question a person's judgement and character when they make comments like that.

Almost everyone slips up at some point, but it really does call into question on what type of person they are if they make comments like that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
As much as an apology is appreciated, I will still question a person's judgement and character when they make comments like that.

Almost everyone slips up at some point, but it really does call into question on what type of person they are if they make comments like that.

You're correct, it does.

But it takes a bigger man to make a mistake and then admit he was wrong later.