Teahen on DL, McPherson recalled from AAA

flavum

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
We just might be digging ourselves out of the hole in a month or two or three. There is stil plenty of baseball left and we have talent. They just need to put things together. The point is there is time. You are in it for the long haul not looking to change your whole team every week because they lose some games.

f*** man, whatever. There is obviously not going to be any meaningful discussion here. You keep right on waiting patiently and making no necessary changes.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
We have seen a lot of things (good and bad) happen after the all-star break. I think we still can turn this ship around

You can't hold onto a team that's 10 games below .500 in June on the hopes that it'll recover after the AS break...not with the level of money that's been committed here.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
f*** man, whatever. There is obviously not going to be any meaningful discussion here. You keep right on waiting patiently and making no necessary changes.

Let me put it this way...I generally think Milkman is way too over the edge and generally disagree with him, and when a person says "There's still lots of time left"...it puts me on Milkman's side.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:40 PM)
You can't hold onto a team that's 10 games below .500 in June on the hopes that it'll recover after the AS break...not with the level of money that's been committed here.

I see your point, but my point is that time will tell

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Let me put it this way...I generally think Milkman is way too over the edge and generally disagree with him, and when a person says "There's still lots of time left"...it puts me on Milkman's side.

I'm there too. We are behind the 8-ball and the only bit of optimism we had was a 6-3 road trip where our offense still sucked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)

Haha :cheers

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
I'm there too. We are behind the 8-ball and the only bit of optimism we had was a 6-3 road trip where our offense still sucked.

04984551596955915.jpg

Gooooood. Gooooood.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)

Does meaningful discussion mean that I have to see it your way? :lolhitting :) I sure understand your point and after some losses feel a lot like you do, but my head tells me that it's a long haul to the end and this team can start putting it back together. We play alot of baseball within our own division

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Does meaningful discussion mean that I have to see it your way? :lolhitting :) I sure understand your point and after some losses feel a lot like you do, but my head tells me that it's a long haul to the end and this team can start putting it back together. We play alot of baseball within our own division

No, it means that you're showing nothing but blind hope. Not optimism, but hope.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
No, it means that you're showing nothing but blind hope. Not optimism, but hope.

No. I am optimistic and truly believe this team can still do it. If it doesn't well then there is always next year - now that is hope. :gosox1:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)

Which is the problem.

The only team we've played well from our own division is the Indians, ironically enough.

To imagine we're going to play well against DET (since we've lost 8 in a row), the Twins (could that happen as bad as they are when we're on a current 6-24 run there, too) and the pesky Royals is almost too much.

It would mean a complete turnaround and reversal of our play the last 2 1/2 seasons against the Central, particularly the scrubby/also-ran teams at the bottom. Maybe since we're now that team on the bottom, things will change!!!

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 17, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
No. I am optimistic and truly believe this team can still do it. If it doesn't well then there is always next year - now that is hope. :gosox1:

No, I think you're being hopeful. Your only basis for your belief that they will turn it around is that there's time.

In order to win 85 games this year, a hopeful estimate for how many wins it will take to finish at the top of this division, the Sox will have to play at a .567 clip for the rest of the year. Say they go on just one more 5-game losing streak, that jumps up to about a necessary .600 clip for the remainder of the year.

The basic point here is that we need to start playing very well and very soon. Dallas McPherson and Juan Pierre are much less likely to help in that endeavor than Dayan Viciedo and, well...anyone.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I don't see what the big issue is with calling up McPherson...

Look at his numbers in the minors this year - nothing to scoff at and actually not worlds apart from TANK like many are assuming.

20110518-trerqsuqrhpq1pjfbbd6a4r32u.jpg

In some categories - he actually has BETTER numbers than Viciedo.

I didn't finish reading all of the posts, but it should be noted that replacing Pierre with Viciedo would require another move.

That's because Ozzie insists on a stolen base threat at the top of the lineup. Lillibridge is the only even slightly viable candidate for that spot.

Therefore, you would have to find a place for Lillibridge in the infield, with Viciedo, Rios and Quentin in the outfield.

As others have stated, McPherson is simply a left handed power bat off the bench, taking Teahen's place. Viciedo is right handed, and needs to play every day. There is nothing wrong with this move. The Pierre issue still has to be addressed, but this move is an entirely different matter.

Is there anybody else around who the Sox could acquire to play either 3RD or 2ND and fill the lead off spot? Beckham could always go back to 3RD. I still like Lillibridge but it appears that Ozzie doesn't want to go that way. Unless we can find a prototypical leadoff hitter, Viciedo will not replace J. P. in LF. What a shame.

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 18, 2011 -> 06:34 AM)
I didn't finish reading all of the posts, but it should be noted that replacing Pierre with Viciedo would require another move.

That's because Ozzie insists on a stolen base threat at the top of the lineup. Lillibridge is the only even slightly viable candidate for that spot.

Therefore, you would have to find a place for Lillibridge in the infield, with Viciedo, Rios and Quentin in the outfield.

As others have stated, McPherson is simply a left handed power bat off the bench, taking Teahen's place. Viciedo is right handed, and needs to play every day. There is nothing wrong with this move. The Pierre issue still has to be addressed, but this move is an entirely different matter.

Is there anybody else around who the Sox could acquire to play either 3RD or 2ND and fill the lead off spot? Beckham could always go back to 3RD. I still like Lillibridge but it appears that Ozzie doesn't want to go that way. Unless we can find a prototypical leadoff hitter, Viciedo will not replace J. P. in LF. What a shame.

Lillibridge is not an everyday option. Take a look at his minor league numbers before proposing that. He can be our 25th man while he's still producing, but do not move him into a role where he will surely fail.

If we called up Viciedo and Ozzie demanded a somewhat speedy leadoff, then go with Vizquel against righties (50% at 2B and 50% at 3B) and Ramirez against lefties. You'll get much better production at the leadoff spot and in LF.

The problem here is obvious. Ozzie manages to personal philosophy and not team strength. He'll continue throw Pierre out there everyday despite better options being clearly available. He's a terrible manager and I'm worried his stubbornness will cost us this season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 17, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
In order to win 85 games this year, a hopeful estimate for how many wins it will take to finish at the top of this division, the Sox will have to play at a .567 clip for the rest of the year. Say they go on just one more 5-game losing streak, that jumps up to about a necessary .600 clip for the remainder of the year.

The basic point here is that we need to start playing very well and very soon. Dallas McPherson and Juan Pierre are much less likely to help in that endeavor than Dayan Viciedo and, well...anyone.

FWIW, that is pretty close to the 7-5 we have played in our last 12 games. (.583)