Interesting Trade Possibilities.

balfanman

I try to avoid Phil Rogers, but I did happen to click on his article in the Tribune today and thought that he actually had something interesting. First, he mentions that K.W. only plans on going with a six man rotation for another 2 weeks or so. I do not know if this is true, or how he knows this, but it could lead to some interesting trade possibilities. Has anyone from the Sox said this?

If, big if, Peavey is back, what do you do? He mentions that both the Yankees and Red Sox are desperate for pitching, along with other clubs. Which one of the 6 starters do you trade to bring back some needed offensive help. This could turn into an even bigger trade if you include one of our offensive starters for maybe a leadoff hitter if Pierre continues to struggle.

I would probably go with Jackson as the one to move, but he would command the least in return. Danks would be a strong possibility too.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
I'd package a starting pitcher and Gordon Beckham together and put them out there to see if any team is willing to give up some young talent.

Beckham is young talent. You only trade one of our starting pitchers if you truly get something of equal or better value in return. We shouldn't be engaging in this trade stuff conversation just to dump people.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ May 19, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
I'd package a starting pitcher and Gordon Beckham together and put them out there to see if any team is willing to give up some young talent.

We'd be selling low on Beckham right now but I'm pretty close to losing faith in him ever doing anything significant under Walker. Personally I think the only thing we need to do now is DFA Pierre, Pena, and replace their roles with Humber and Dayan once we go away from a 6 man rotation. Doing that would make us so significantly better it's silly obvious.

You don't trade Beckham yet... But what we're doing now isn't helping. If it was up to me, I'd send him down and tell him he can come back up when he realizes he isn't a big homerun hitter and instead a gap hitter. I'd lock him a closet with nothing but a tv playing Michael young swing clips.

A couple days ago, Hawk and Wimpy were talking about hitters who worry too much about their set up at bat, making sure everything is perfectly aligned, you are just setting yourself up for failure. I think Beckham has fallen into this group.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Beckham is young talent.

True, but maybe the Sox could get even more young talent for him. The Sox might get someone equal PLUS another piece for Beckham.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
You only trade one of our starting pitchers if you truly get something of equal or better value in return. We shouldn't be engaging in this trade stuff conversation just to dump people.

Eh, I see this as more of a "WHAT IF" discussion and not a "THEY SHOULD".

Trades are dumb at this point of the season, especially right now. The Sox are playing much better baseball recently and could easily get back in the race. At the same time, they're still 6 under and 9 games back. There's no clear indication either way which way they're going to go.

A lot can happen either way. Trading right now is dumb.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
We'd be selling low on Beckham right now but I'm pretty close to losing faith in him ever doing anything significant under Walker. Personally I think the only thing we need to do now is DFA Pierre, Pena, and replace their roles with Humber and Dayan once we go away from a 6 man rotation. Doing that would make us so significantly better it's silly obvious.

You don't trade a talent like Gordo right now. He is waaaaaaaaay too young for that. These are the type of guys a general manager like KW should be looking for, not giving up on.

Jackson or Danks would make the most sense to trade. You're right that Jackson wouldn't command as much because he's pricey and will be pricey to re-sign. Honestly, though, I wonder how much the Sox could get from either without attaching another player.

I don't think this team should make any trades, at least not right now.

The two biggest weak points I see are T-Pain and Pierre. In both cases, we have good in-house options in the minors to replace them. If you can get something for them in trade, great. If not, just let them go.

I really do think Beckham and Rios will turn it around.

The 6 pitchers is a great asset, but until Peavy pitches a little longer and we know he's really back to full strength, I'd hold onto them. If the team is in contention at deadline time, then you can look at trading pitching for something of need (whatever that is at that point).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Trades are dumb at this point of the season, especially right now. The Sox are playing much better baseball recently and could easily get back in the race. At the same time, they're still 6 under and 9 games back. There's no clear indication either way which way they're going to go.

Very well put :headbang

Obviously, if this is the case, you get a bidding war between the BoSox and Yankees for either EJax or Danks.. if they offer up something for Danks you can't pass up you take it and smile, but if they're both going for Jackson you're sure to get something usable. Montero or Reddick are both nice starting points from either club.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ May 19, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Obviously, if this is the case, you get a bidding war between the BoSox and Yankees for either EJax or Danks.. if they offer up something for Danks you can't pass up you take it and smile, but if they're both going for Jackson you're sure to get something usable. Montero or Reddick are both nice starting points from either club.

The Yankees will laugh at you. Loudly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
I don't think this team should make any trades, at least not right now.

The two biggest weak points I see are T-Pain and Pierre. In both cases, we have good in-house options in the minors to replace them. If you can get something for them in trade, great. If not, just let them go.

I really do think Beckham and Rios will turn it around.

The 6 pitchers is a great asset, but until Peavy pitches a little longer and we know he's really back to full strength, I'd hold onto them. If the team is in contention at deadline time, then you can look at trading pitching for something of need (whatever that is at that point).

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's a good thing you said it first, because I would have probably gotten flak for being such a downer by pointing it out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)

In two weeks though, it might make sense. Here's why:

1. We'll either continue playing well, or dig ourselves into a virtually insurmountable hole in the division, so we'll know if we need to add or subtract.

2. The pitching surplus cannot continue, it's not good for anyone long term, and we have good trade candidates that are becoming free agents. EJax almost definitely goes, because Buerhle has little value and full NTC. You can't trade Danks now because he still has another year of control and you're already going to lose 1 - 2 SPs to free agency this year, and you have to try to contend for at least one more year with the current contractual situation.

Other things:

You do NOT trade Beckham. He's still way too young to be a bust and you wouldn't get much in return. Even if he doesn't figure it out, you have a plus defender with a streaky bat at a light-hitting position for league minimum.

Yankees would definitely laugh at unloading Montero, since it looks like Posada is done. However, they may unload Romine, especially if they plan on retaining Martin. Don't forget that Cervelli is an excellent backup.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
In two weeks though, it might make sense. Here's why:

1. We'll either continue playing well, or dig ourselves into a virtually insurmountable hole in the division, so we'll know if we need to add or subtract.

2. The pitching surplus cannot continue, it's not good for anyone long term, and we have good trade candidates that are becoming free agents. EJax almost definitely goes, because Buerhle has little value and full NTC. You can't trade Danks now because he still has another year of control and you're already going to lose 1 - 2 SPs to free agency this year, and you have to try to contend for at least one more year with the current contractual situation.

Other things:

You do NOT trade Beckham. He's still way too young to be a bust and you wouldn't get much in return. Even if he doesn't figure it out, you have a plus defender with a streaky bat at a light-hitting position for league minimum.

Yankees would definitely laugh at unloading Montero, since it looks like Posada is done. However, they may unload Romine, especially if they plan on retaining Martin. Don't forget that Cervelli is an excellent backup.

With regards to #1, there is also a possibility that they tread water and remain about 7 games back. The Sox have shown in the past that they really like to do that sort of thing.

With regards to #2, though I am generally opposed to using a 6 man rotation because it leaves you down a pitcher in the pen and is generally inefficient, it's not the worst idea in the world, and the Sox pitchers have shown in the past that they do work much better on 5 days rest opposed to 4. It's a little out of the box, but if all 6 guys continue to pitch pretty well, it's something to consider doing for the rest of the year.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
I try to avoid Phil Rogers, but I did happen to click on his article in the Tribune today and thought that he actually had something interesting. First, he mentions that K.W. only plans on going with a six man rotation for another 2 weeks or so. I do not know if this is true, or how he knows this, but it could lead to some interesting trade possibilities. Has anyone from the Sox said this?

If, big if, Peavey is back, what do you do? He mentions that both the Yankees and Red Sox are desperate for pitching, along with other clubs. Which one of the 6 starters do you trade to bring back some needed offensive help. This could turn into an even bigger trade if you include one of our offensive starters for maybe a leadoff hitter if Pierre continues to struggle.

I would probably go with Jackson as the one to move, but he would command the least in return. Danks would be a strong possibility too.

This is easy. You trade Peavy if somebody is dumb enough to take the risk.

And I love the bulldog Peavy.

But if you can dump the salary, you dump it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
This is exactly what I was going to say. It's a good thing you said it first, because I would have probably gotten flak for being such a downer by pointing it out.

I only gave you a hard time about the chances of some random injury, which I think Peavy is no more at risk of than anyone else. But specific to his injury is something else - we need to see that he's fully normal from that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)

If he pitches like this through July, I bet someone would take the risk if you're selling.

Of course, if he pitches like this through July, the Sox are darn likely to be in the race.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)

Generally speaking, I agree with this, but I'm not sure in this situation.

They need to try to compete next year, and they're definitely going to need to replace Jackson and possibly Buerhle already. Peavy's salary would be nice to dump, but if you do that, you pretty much HAVE to sign a pitcher in the offseason. Would you be able to get a guy better than Peavy at significantly less? Based on what I've seen about the pitching market for this upcoming offseason, I'm not so sure.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Generally speaking, I agree with this, but I'm not sure in this situation.

They need to try to compete next year, and they're definitely going to need to replace Jackson and possibly Buerhle already. Peavy's salary would be nice to dump, but if you do that, you pretty much HAVE to sign a pitcher in the offseason. Would you be able to get a guy better than Peavy at significantly less? Based on what I've seen about the pitching market for this upcoming offseason, I'm not so sure.

If the Sox don't win the division this year, they very likely won't be trying to compete next year.