Interesting Trade Possibilities.

balfanman

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
Does anyone see any trades happening now?

If the Sox hit a losing skid in the next 2 weeks, yes, I expect things to start happening.

KW was quoted today giving June 1 as his date and saying that he does have some things in mind, but he was unusually teasingly vague, even for him. Usually he outright denies everything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
If he pitches like this through July, I bet someone would take the risk if you're selling.

Of course, if he pitches like this through July, the Sox are darn likely to be in the race.

It seems to me a no brainer, but the key is to try to get something good for him besides unloading the salary.

How the heck is he going to stay healthy? He's going to be overworked on nights he pitches well, cause he refuses to come out of the game.

This bulldog is, in my opinion, going to be too injury prone and stubborn the rest of his career.

I love him but if it's true the Sox need the money, deal him in a Greinke-like deal. Get good stuff in return.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
It seems to me a no brainer, but the key is to try to get something good for him besides unloading the salary.

How the heck is he going to stay healthy? He's going to be overworked on nights he pitches well, cause he refuses to come out of the game.

This bulldog is, in my opinion, going to be too injury prone and stubborn the rest of his career.

I love him but if it's true the Sox need the money, deal him in a Greinke-like deal. Get good stuff in return.

Coming off this surgery, no one's offering you anything good for him with that contract until maybe middle of 2012 at the earliest, and that's if he's a leading Cy Young candidate from here until then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
Coming off this surgery, no one's offering you anything good for him with that contract until maybe middle of 2012 at the earliest, and that's if he's a leading Cy Young candidate from here until then.

As a fan, who doesn't live in Chicago and can't come to games anyway, I shouldn't really care about the Sox financial state, since I don't have to pay the outrageous ticket/parking prices.

But if money is indeed important and Peavy has several good starts before the break, he'd be the starter to dump if any team will take on the whole salary.

If as you say we can't get anybody good in return, that sucks, but the smart play if you are a businessman would be to sell the injury-prone player and move on with that money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)

The Yankees pitching situation makes them a wild card when it comes to pitching. We all know they will take on bad contracts in an attempt to win now.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
Does anyone see any trades happening now?

That's because teams don't make trades in May when the season just started.

I have been saying for a long time that failure is not an option with this payroll. If we fall apart in the next two weeks, there will be a fire sale. No ifs, ands or buts, about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
The Yankees pitching situation makes them a wild card when it comes to pitching. We all know they will take on bad contracts in an attempt to win now.

If Jake Peavy stays healthy through the end of July, and pitches like he did yesterday, I'd strongly bet they'd take the contract on.

But they'll laugh at you if you ask for Montero or something else useful back.

They'd probably trade him straight up for Posada.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
If Jake Peavy stays healthy through the end of July, and pitches like he did yesterday, I'd strongly bet they'd take the contract on.

But they'll laugh at you if you ask for Montero or something else useful back.

They'd probably trade him straight up for Posada.

Dealing the contract fully is probably a victory at this point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Dealing the contract fully is probably a victory at this point.

Unless the White Sox want to compete. That's the catch-22.

If the Sox hang around the race, they're hanging around because Peavy's performing. Dumping that contract means throwing in the towel on this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

If the Sox hang around the race, they're hanging around because Peavy's performing. Dumping that contract means throwing in the towel on this year.

That was obvious to me. We aren't dealing anyone if we are in it. If we are out, we are dealing everyone in sight.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:53 PM)
That was obvious to me. We aren't dealing anyone if we are in it. If we are out, we are dealing everyone in sight.

What are you guys talking about? Maybe you didn't get the memo but we're ALL IN!

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
In two weeks though, it might make sense. Here's why:

1. We'll either continue playing well, or dig ourselves into a virtually insurmountable hole in the division, so we'll know if we need to add or subtract.

2. The pitching surplus cannot continue, it's not good for anyone long term, and we have good trade candidates that are becoming free agents. EJax almost definitely goes, because Buerhle has little value and full NTC. You can't trade Danks now because he still has another year of control and you're already going to lose 1 - 2 SPs to free agency this year, and you have to try to contend for at least one more year with the current contractual situation.

Other things:

You do NOT trade Beckham. He's still way too young to be a bust and you wouldn't get much in return. Even if he doesn't figure it out, you have a plus defender with a streaky bat at a light-hitting position for league minimum.

Yankees would definitely laugh at unloading Montero, since it looks like Posada is done. However, they may unload Romine, especially if they plan on retaining Martin. Don't forget that Cervelli is an excellent backup.

That's exactly why you would trade Danks. Teams would give up more for him because he's our best pitcher and they would control him for another year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
I only gave you a hard time about the chances of some random injury, which I think Peavy is no more at risk of than anyone else. But specific to his injury is something else - we need to see that he's fully normal from that.

I actually wasn't referring to you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
If the Sox hit a losing skid in the next 2 weeks, yes, I expect things to start happening.

KW was quoted today giving June 1 as his date and saying that he does have some things in mind, but he was unusually teasingly vague, even for him. Usually he outright denies everything.

I thought June 1st was just the date for the 6 man rotation, then they'd just decide to continue with it.

How are they going to deal 3 years of underperforming Dunn and 36 year old Konerko? If everyone continues to play badly, we can't get rid of those guys, which is why we have to try to compete next year. Otherwise we're the Astros. $21m comes off the books in EJax and Buerhle. That covers the ALL IN payroll increase.

I really don't think we'll sell off important pieces before early to mid July. I honestly believe Reindsdorf will give this team an extended chance before blowing it up. I'm sure he realizes how painful the rebuilding process would be if we had a legit firesale. Based on the state of our farm system, we're talking four or five years minimum before you are competitive again. That could cripple the franchise for years to come. Even if he may have to take a financial hit this year, he's got to take that risk if there's even a small chance of making the playoffs. Plus as soon as you sell off parts and admit defeat, you can kiss most fan interest and walkup sales goodbye, so any loss in salary will partially be offset by a loss in revenue. All things considered, Reinsdorf should stick with this team until closer to the deadline even if they hit another slump in the near future.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

Plus he has a NTC.

The catch 22 for KW is if the guys play well enough to earn their money, they will win, but if they don't he'll have to try to move them, and it will be tough to move high priced guys who aren't performing.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ May 19, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
If they decide to add a piece and try to win, I think #1 on my wish list would be David Wright. Not saying we could get him because I realize we don't have the chips, but he would just look so nice at 3rd..

Why? Ozzie would just bench him.