Interesting Trade Possibilities.

balfanman

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 22, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
I wonder if the Rocks would sell low on Ian Stewart.

Yes, but Stewart is a head case. Massive uppercut swing, has to pull everything. Needs a brain transplant. Rockettes would like to dump his contract and clear up a 40 man spot.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think our most likely trade partner woulkd be the Yankees and it's either Danks or Jackson for a couple talented youngsters. Not that I condone that idea, but really what else is there? Pierre maybe later on to someone needing a veteran? I hope we are fighting for the title come September and all this was just idle speculation

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 22, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
I would think our most likely trade partner woulkd be the Yankees and it's either Danks or Jackson for a couple talented youngsters. Not that I condone that idea, but really what else is there? Pierre maybe later on to someone needing a veteran? I hope we are fighting for the title come September and all this was just idle speculation

Juan Pierre is a DFA candidate if anyone actually wanted him, and people's backups to their backups are outplaying him. The Rangers had 3 of their OF's out when we faced them, they were on their 6th OF (Endy Chavez), and Chavez completely outplayed Pierre.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
Juan Pierre is a DFA candidate if anyone actually wanted him, and people's backups to their backups are outplaying him. The Rangers had 3 of their OF's out when we faced them, they were on their 6th OF (Endy Chavez), and Chavez completely outplayed Pierre.

This DFA stuff is crazy regarding Juan.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
This DFA stuff is crazy regarding Juan.

We're not going to actually DFA him...but you can pick people up off the scrap heap for the league minimum who will perform better than him. No one's trading anything for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
We're not going to actually DFA him...but you can pick people up off the scrap heap for the league minimum who will perform better than him. No one's trading anything for him.

Speaking of which, Pods just signed with the Phillies to a minor-league deal, per Ken Rosenthal.

I would like at least partial credit for starting this thread and for the Sox playing better recently. Last year I started a thread similar to this, I think that it may have been on the Future Sox board the day before they started their 25 - 5 run or whatever it was. :headbang

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)

I think we can lay off Pierre for a little bit, hes at .261/.322 right now which is nothing special, I know, but his OBP is around .350 for May so far which is encouraging.. Who exactly can be picked up off the scrap heap and put into the leadoff spot for us tomorrow?

Adam Dunn deserves way more haters than Pierre.. At least Pierre has been somewhat productive, Dunn has been miserable for his standards and its really crippled us so far..

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
It seems to me a no brainer, but the key is to try to get something good for him besides unloading the salary.

How the heck is he going to stay healthy? He's going to be overworked on nights he pitches well, cause he refuses to come out of the game.

This bulldog is, in my opinion, going to be too injury prone and stubborn the rest of his career.

I love him but if it's true the Sox need the money, deal him in a Greinke-like deal. Get good stuff in return.

If Reinsdorf is having those kinds of financial problems, why doesn't he do us all a favor and just sell?

Maybe most of you are satisfied at being great every one hundred years but I'm not.

And based on what immediately preceded and what has transpired since 2005, that WS championship was indeed a fluke.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ May 23, 2011 -> 07:57 PM)
If Reinsdorf is having those kinds of financial problems, why doesn't he do us all a favor and just sell?

Maybe most of you are satisfied at being great every one hundred years but I'm not.

And based on what immediately preceded and what has transpired since 2005, that WS championship was indeed a fluke.

Financial problems? We boosted salary by $25 mil this year. He just doesn't want to lose money on the team, and no owner would.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ May 23, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)

Yawn...how annoying. They had the best record in baseball and won it all. It's very hard to repeat in baseball. We don't even see it in the NFL anymore with even fewer roster changes. Please, no more of this silliness.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
Yawn...how annoying. They had the best record in baseball and won it all. It's very hard to repeat in baseball. We don't even see it in the NFL anymore with even fewer roster changes. Please, no more of this silliness.

Seriously, how can you win 99 games and go 11-1 in the playoffs and yet be a fluke?

The Yankees will laugh at you. Loudly.

What are you talking about?

I live in NY - they'd love to have either of these 2 over Nova, Garcia, and a backup to the sure to fail success of Colon.

They have 1 f***ing starter and know they've been lucky to get away with it.

Burnett sucks; no Hughes... Dunno - Yankees are in no position to laugh. Like - At ALL.

*Disregard - I'm responding to a way old past from almost a week ago... My bad.

Edited by Andrew

I think we can lay off Pierre for a little bit, hes at .261/.322 right now which is nothing special, I know, but his OBP is around .350 for May so far which is encouraging.. Who exactly can be picked up off the scrap heap and put into the leadoff spot for us tomorrow?

Adam Dunn deserves way more haters than Pierre.. At least Pierre has been somewhat productive, Dunn has been miserable for his standards and its really crippled us so far..

Would way rather see Lillibridge take Pierre's spot at this point. He plays right, center, and can likely mange left too. He's got web-gems all over the f***ing place defensively while Pierre has cost us at least 3 games dropping routine fly balls and then (sometimes in the same play), f***ing up throws.

Lillibridge also has a higher OBP.

So in conclusion, f*** Pierre.

Edited by Andrew

QUOTE (Andrew @ May 23, 2011 -> 10:34 PM)
Would way rather see Lillibridge take Pierre's spot at this point. He plays right, center, and can likely mange left too. He's got web-gems all over the f***ing place defensively while Pierre has cost us at least 3 games dropping routine fly balls and then (sometimes in the same play), f***ing up throws.

Lillibridge also has a higher OBP.

So in conclusion, f*** Pierre.

And I agree with you, ide rather see Lilli out there as well

OK I was thinking about this tonight after the loss and Cleveland's win.

Sox main goal ASAP should be to deal Rios, Peavy and Dunn. If it takes til the All Star break, fine, but start working on it now.

Get rid of those guys and try to reassess what to do with the money.

Also trade Mark or Danks or Jackson, one of the starters.

I guess Mark would be the smartest to deal.

OK you get rid of all that salary in Mark, Rios, Peavy and Dunn. Start rebuilding from there.

Hopefully the Yankees and Red Sox will give us something good for Peavy/Dunn/Rios and Mark. Those 2 teams should want all those guys.

I guess I should include Paulie but for sentimental reasons I keep him on the team. Obviously Mark is an all time favorite as well. There's absolutely no reason to move forward with Rios, Dunn and Peavy IMO.

Edited by greg775

Sox main goal ASAP should be to deal Rios, Peavy and Dunn. If it takes til the All Star break, fine, but start working on it now.

OK you get rid of all that salary in Mark, Rios, Peavy and Dunn. Start rebuilding from there.

Hopefully the Yankees and Red Sox will give us something good for Peavy/Dunn/Rios and Mark. Those 2 teams should want all those guys.

I guess I should include Paulie but for sentimental reasons I keep him on the team. Obviously Mark is an all time favorite as well.

Greg, not sure (bein real) if any team will take Dunn unless we eat some salary which would not be a total loss. If (which is highly likely) he keeps putting up big fat retarded goose eggs at the plate til early June then dealing him is a no brainer. I would deal both Danks and Jackson and try and get something back. Don't think we will be able to afford jackson even if we wanted to. Danks looks like he may just run out of here if we keep up this mess of no run support. But I gotta believe this won't work unless we make some major changes. If we nose dive on this road trip then our fate should be sealed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2011 -> 11:05 PM)

No one is going to want to take on Rios and Peavy's contract right now. You're most likely going to have to eat a very good portion of that money, which, if that is the case, is not really accomplishing anything since you have no one waiting in the wings that they are blocking.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 24, 2011 -> 05:21 AM)
No one is going to want to take on Rios and Peavy's contract right now. You're most likely going to have to eat a very good portion of that money, which, if that is the case, is not really accomplishing anything since you have no one waiting in the wings that they are blocking.

Why wouldn't Boston and NY want Peavy and Mark for sure?

And we make them take Rios and Dunn. Demand it for the deals to go through.

Those teams have money to burn.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 23, 2011 -> 11:21 PM)

Unless you simply DH Viciedo and played Jordan Danks on the OF, but that's a huge stretch.

I don't think they'd want to make Dayan a full-time DH at this point in his career...and that leave a huge gap not having a LH power hitter in the line-up.

Greg, as for the Yankees taking Rios/Dunn, they're already stuck with Posada's contract, I can't see where they would allocate $30 million THIS YEAR (plus 3 more guaranteed years for Dunn) for the DH position until/if Dunn proves he can hit, in which case he's probably more valuable to the Sox to retain anyway.

As far as Rios goes, they already have Swisher/Granderson/Gardner for the OF, and we've already covered the DH issue. And you certainly don't trade for Rios to DH him...you'd have to DH Swisher and play Rios in the OF. That's a bit more logical for the Yankees to do, but I'm not sure they're ready to just give up on Posada yet or eat his contract. Maybe in another 4-6 weeks a better picture will emerge there. Or Colon/Garcia will go down for the rest of the season and their hands will be forced to find another starter.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 24, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
Why wouldn't Boston and NY want Peavy and Mark for sure?

And we make them take Rios and Dunn. Demand it for the deals to go through.

Those teams have money to burn.

Every guy you want to trade other than Dunn has some level of no-trade protection as well.