2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuation of the previous thread....

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Under the current rules, the Bulls have 3 players under contract after 2012: Boozer, Deng, and Noah. Problem is, that alone is $41 million against the cap. In addition, the Bulls have a 2013 option on Taj Gibson they'd be likely to pick up, and there's this point guard that they need to extend.

But if they traded for Howard, wouldnt that change the equation? I dont know if Orlando wants Boozer, Deng, or Noah. But one or two of them would match salaries.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Continuation of the previous thread....

But if they traded for Howard, wouldnt that change the equation? I dont know if Orlando wants Boozer, Deng, or Noah. But one or two of them would match salaries.

Yes...BUT then Orlando is stuck with at least 1 of those contracts, which they probably don't want if they're losing Howard. Plus, they'd, you know, have to actually trade Howard to a team that can't sign him as a FA, which means that the Bulls would have no leverage in the situation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Yes...BUT then Orlando is stuck with at least 1 of those contracts, which they probably don't want if they're losing Howard. Plus, they'd, you know, have to actually trade Howard to a team that can't sign him as a FA, which means that the Bulls would have no leverage in the situation.

If Orlando trades Howard, they are going to want assloads of picks and expiring contracts. Either that or young, cheap players. For my two cents any deal for Howard would have to involve a third team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
If Orlando trades Howard, they are going to want assloads of picks and expiring contracts. Either that or young, cheap players. For my two cents any deal for Howard would have to involve a third team.

Aside from Noah and rose, what player on the bulls would bring back those assloads of picks and young players?

The Magic can ask for a lot for Howard, ya know, because he's a legitimate MVP candidate, the top center in basketball, the top defensive player in basketball, and extremely marketable.

That being said, I think both side are really wanting to work something out in Orlando.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
The Magic can ask for a lot for Howard, ya know, because he's a legitimate MVP candidate, the top center in basketball, the top defensive player in basketball, and extremely marketable.

That being said, I think both side are really wanting to work something out in Orlando.

Right now the ball's definitely in Otis Smith's court. All he has to do is surround Howard with enough decent talent for them to go back to the finals, and the only way that's probably possibly is by adding a 2nd star. Smith thought that would be Arenas, which was ludicrous from day one.

It's not like a Melo situation where he's got his heart set on playing somewhere in particular from 12-13 onwards.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
Right now the ball's definitely in Otis Smith's court. All he has to do is surround Howard with enough decent talent for them to go back to the finals, and the only way that's probably possibly is by adding a 2nd star. Smith thought that would be Arenas, which was ludicrous from day one.

It's not like a Melo situation where he's got his heart set on playing somewhere in particular from 12-13 onwards.

Did he really think that would be Arenas, or did he think "There's a 5% chance it could be Arenas, which is better than what I'm getting from the post-steroids Lewis, and since my whole franchise is on the line, if I have to choose between a 1% chance and a 5% chance I'll take the 5% chance".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Did he really think that would be Arenas, or did he think "There's a 5% chance it could be Arenas, which is better than what I'm getting from the post-steroids Lewis, and since my whole franchise is on the line, if I have to choose between a 1% chance and a 5% chance I'll take the 5% chance".

Howard needs to get out of the GMs business if that is the case, because if he really did force those deals, he f***ed his team last year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Howard needs to get out of the GMs business if that is the case, because if he really did force those deals, he f***ed his team last year.

Even if he didn't personally say "Make this deal"...think of it this way...you've got $10,000 to gamble, you've got the odds stacked heavily against you, but if you don't make the bet, someone's going to rob you and take away your $10k.

In that case, you'd make bets that you otherwise wouldn't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
Even if he didn't personally say "Make this deal"...think of it this way...you've got $10,000 to gamble, you've got the odds stacked heavily against you, but if you don't make the bet, someone's going to rob you and take away your $10k.

In that case, you'd make bets that you otherwise wouldn't.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
:lolhitting

Laugh all you want...that's the reality in the NBA for a team like the Magic. We saw the same stuff on the Cavs before Lebron left.

They have a team that is a playoff team, with a star, but a star who has the ability to leave as a FA in a couple years. They start gambling...everything...to try to win while that star is there to make him willing to stay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
Laugh all you want...that's the reality in the NBA for a team like the Magic. We saw the same stuff on the Cavs before Lebron left.

They have a team that is a playoff team, with a star, but a star who has the ability to leave as a FA in a couple years. They start gambling...everything...to try to win while that star is there to make him willing to stay.

Which is making my case why the best thing for Orlando is to deal him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
Which is making my case why the best thing for Orlando is to deal him.

Why would that be the best thing for them? So that they can have enough talent to take the 7-8 spot and be stuck in limbo for half a decade while their fanbase walks away?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
Why would that be the best thing for them? So that they can have enough talent to take the 7-8 spot and be stuck in limbo for half a decade while their fanbase walks away?

Versus being in the lottery in two years and be stuck in limbo for decade while all of their fanbase walks away?

Yes. That is better than the lost decade that the Bulls had when their superstars left, and we tried to "rebuild".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
Versus being in the lottery in two years and be stuck in limbo for half a decade while their fanbase walks away?

Yes. That is better than the lost decade that the Bulls had when their superstars left, and we tried to "rebuild".

And yet, the Bulls only really finally recovered once they hit the Lottery.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
they didn't recover the first year after their team was dismantled.

I could take the easy out here and just reply to that with "Tim Floyd."

In fact, that's what I'm doing for now.