2011-2012 OFFICIAL NBA LOCKOUT thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
I guarantee over 1/8th of the players could get an advanced degree if they wanted to. It's really not all that difficult. Basketball pays way better than a masters degree though.

Ok, a little hyperbole. But I'd draw the the line at 1/4.

Some players come off as exceedingly dumb.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
I guarantee over 1/8th of the players could get an advanced degree if they wanted to. It's really not all that difficult. Basketball pays way better than a masters degree though.

C'mon now, less than 5% of this country has a masters degree, and 7/8 of players are borderline retarded. It ain't difficult for many, probably including yourself, but that doesn't make it easy for the average NBA player...

Link

Commissioner David Stern blamed "greedy" NBA agents Saturday for trying to scuttle a new labor deal and believes they are trying to push their clients into a "losing strategy" of decertification.

And Stern says neither the threat of that process nor any request from the union will change the league's negotiating position, repeating that there would be no further discussions about the revised proposal it offered Thursday. If players don't accept it, Stern reiterated that he would move to the harsher proposal that is waiting.

Stern is aware of the numerous comments from players criticizing the proposal, and fears they aren't getting the proper information about its contents because agents worry it will cost themselves money.

"By some combination of mendacity and greed, the agents who are looking out for themselves rather than their clients are trying to scuttle the deal," Stern said in a phone interview. "They're engaged in what appears to be an orchestrated Twitter campaign and a series of interviews that are designed to deny the economic realities of the proposal."

"Yes, I am worried," Stern said, "because they're talking up this thing called decertification which is not a winning strategy on the one hand. On the second hand, it'll take three months to teach them it's not a winning strategy, which would not augur well for the season.

"The agents misunderstand it and all it does is delay things. They themselves think that if the players decertify, then the league will change its offer. And that will not happen as a result of decertification. It's a losing strategy for them."

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 13, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)
C'mon now, less than 5% of this country has a masters degree, and 7/8 of players are borderline retarded.

seriously... just laughed out loud at this.

Also, I was interested enough in the actual number to check it out:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 9.4% of the U.S. population holds a graduate degree.

hmm, I'm surprised it's that high.

Edited by SouthSideTeacher

It's game over man, game over.

NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter says the union will not accept the owners' proposed collective bargaining agreement and will seek to decertify.

The union, whose members have been locked out since July 1st, also plans to pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
The players are just getting terrible advice. They are not going to get a better deal than the one they've been offered.

I totally agree. They could probably have gotten some slight improvements around the edge...but that was effectively the deal that everyone thought the owners would eventually put on the table back in July when this thing started.

NBA Players Association executive director Billy Hunter says the union will not accept the owners' proposed collective bargaining agreement and will instead seek to disband the union, a move that likely jeopardizes the 2011-12 season.

The union, whose members have been locked out since July 1st, also plans to pursue an antitrust lawsuit against the NBA.

"As of this moment, we're going to be in the process of converting the NBA Players Association into a trade associaton," Hunter said Monday.

Hunter said the union has negotiated in good faith over two years and feels that they have given enough, while the NBA was "not willing and prepared to negotiate."

"The players feel that they are not prepared to accept any ultimatums," Hunter said.

"Going forward, collective bargaining will not be how this process continues for us," added union president Derek Fisher. "We'll let our legal team really lead the charge."

"We continue to want to get to work, to get back to work, to negotiate, but that process has broken down," Fisher added.

Link

So, players were denied hard copies of the proposal, not allowed to vote, and the union dropped them immediately post meeting.

This has been the NBA vs. the NBAPA vs. The NBA Players

They won't win a lawsuit.

Also, chances are all contracts get voided.

f*** the players union.

Edited by Quinarvy

Big mistake both sides.....................NBA is not like the NFL people are not going to go nuts with no NBA season, alot of people I know prefer NCAA to NBA already. If the Union allows the agents to dictate anything they are a piss poor union! Stay out all year!

Edited by Soxfest

The Union has brought in some heavy legal hitters here. The 2nd name stands out to me.

Jeffrey Kessler and David Boies (NFL lockout, Al Gore's recount) will represent the players in an antitrust lawsuit against the league, which is expected to be filed in the next couple days. The players obviously rejected the latest offer from the owners and instead of making a new offer, disbanded the union, refusing to accept an ultimatum from David Stern and company. We have no idea if or when a season will begin this year, but it's safe to say today's news couldn't have been much worse. The hope of the players now is to prove the owners were not negotiating in good faith and win a deal in a court room.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
The Union has brought in some heavy legal hitters here. The 2nd name stands out to me.

It really seems like the Union wasn't negotiating in good faith.

Kessler is they're lawyer, the same man who implied Stern was a plantation owner.

Oh and Billy Hunter is the Executive Director of the National Basketball Trade Association.

Woop-dee-f***ing-doo.