Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I highly doubt the both Lowe and Beachy go, as much as I highly doubt that both Rios and CQ go. I think it's either a Rios/Lowe or CQ/Beachy situation, with some add-ins here or there.

ya prolly not since that would take out 2 regular starters out of the Braves rotation, maybe we add in Jackson/Floyd and they add in a prospect

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:35 AM)
ya prolly not since that would take out 2 regular starters out of the Braves rotation, maybe we add in Jackson/Floyd and they add in a prospect

Also leaves us with a ton of extra starters and an OF of Pierre/Lilli/Viciedo

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
omfg... Pierre stays but Quentin goes? this is exactly the type of stupid bulls*** I'd expect of the Sox tbh

Ozzie allegiance to juan is the only reason he is still playing on the sox. :notworthy De Aza is tearing it up in AAA. He out does Juan in every aspect of the game except name recognition and Ozzie's love.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
It's worth noting that Steve Stone floated the idea of trading CQ to Atlanta on the Score just now. Such a trade doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense IMO but Steve Stone doesn't just say things to say them.

He probably read it on the Internet as well.

Trading Quentin for next season probably does make sense so that Viceido can move into RF. Trading him during the season doesn't make as much sense - as streaky as he is, he's still one of our best offensive players.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Yeah, I think the point is that KW has seen this before. CQ can be a monster, but he's proven that he's streaky and prone to long stretches of bad. That being said, his value is currently at a premium and he's setting himself up for a big arbitration raise or contract extension. Given that Viciedo is essentially the same type of player, it makes a ton of sense to consider dumping the more expensive and still risky CQ while we can maximize the return.

Now, it absolutely makes us worse right now, but it's an opportunity to be in much better shape going forward, and it's an opportunity that won't last for very long. I don't know if it's the right move, but I think it's something you have to consider.

I can understand folks wanting to make what some may think is an impact trade, but I really see the need for two trades. Lowe is a starter and we have six now. We are in a pennant race and only 3 1/2 games out and we want to trade away a solid hitter and a guy with a lot of upside and then turn around and trade a starter for "young talent." I don't see what we are really benefiting. Maybe a relief pitcher. Ok then now we have a surplus of releif pitchers. People are quick to low ball our own talent and raise the stakes on someone elses. It wasn't too long ago we heard calmoring for the trades of Paul Konerko, AJP, Beckham and others.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
He probably read it on the Internet as well.

Trading Quentin for next season probably does make sense so that Viceido can move into RF. Trading him during the season doesn't make as much sense - as streaky as he is, he's still one of our best offensive players.

My guess is Juan is either gone next year or is the 4th OF'er. So Viciedo moves to right and CQ to left. Trade CQ and you just open up another hole IMO

We need Q very badly on this team . Maybe KW gets creative and we end up with a few pieces for next year without hurting the club for this year and dump some salary and in the process bring up Tank and lose Pierre. I know how impossible that all sounds . I just know I want Q to stay and Viciedo up . If any pitcher goes its Jackson. It would suck to see Q go to make room for Vicedo while Pierre stays.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
The Braves want and need to open a space for Teheran, Delgado, and Minor. If they can acquire offense for both Lowe and Beachy, they wouldn't hesitate.

OK, but maybe we should hesitate

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I can understand folks wanting to make what some may think is an impact trade, but I really see the need for two trades. Lowe is a starter and we have six now. We are in a pennant race and only 3 1/2 games out and we want to trade away a solid hitter and a guy with a lot of upside and then turn around and trade a starter for "young talent." I don't see what we are really benefiting. Maybe a relief pitcher. Ok then now we have a surplus of releif pitchers. People are quick to low ball our own talent and raise the stakes on someone elses. It wasn't too long ago we heard calmoring for the trades of Paul Konerko, AJP, Beckham and others.

I agree 100% that it hurts our chances this year. I think it's one of those things where you get presented with an opportunity at a time that isn't quite ideal. I highly doubt KW was shopping CQ to Atlanta, it seems more likely that Atlanta, who has a very public need for a good OF bat, inquired about CQ/Rios instead. Now KW has to decide if it's worth it to rely on Viciedo for the rest of the season in order to make a trade now that he would really love to make in the offseason, but won't likely be available then.

Since Dunn and Rios really can't be benched... and since I do believe Beckham is showing some positive signs... the only starting position players who I'd be interested in upgrading are Pierre or Morel. And then, yes, one more RH bullpen arm could be good, depending on who it is.

But trading away Quentin seems like a silly way to accomplish any of this. I'd rather bench Pierre and bring up Viciedo for RF (TCQ to LF), and then look at what can be done for 3B and/or RH Relief. Trading for a starting pitcher just seems stupid to me, I'd rather trade one AWAY at this point then trade FOR one.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Since Dunn and Rios really can't be benched... and since I do believe Beckham is showing some positive signs... the only starting position players who I'd be interested in upgrading are Pierre or Morel. And then, yes, one more RH bullpen arm could be good, depending on who it is.

But trading away Quentin seems like a silly way to accomplish any of this. I'd rather bench Pierre and bring up Viciedo for RF (TCQ to LF), and then look at what can be done for 3B and/or RH Relief. Trading for a starting pitcher just seems stupid to me, I'd rather trade one AWAY at this point then trade FOR one.

If I am Kenny the only deal I am looking to make is for a righty arm in the pen without killing the farm.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
It was mentioned in other outlets that he was just throwing a name out there because ATL needs hitting. They arent trading TCQ.

Just some idiotic speculation, good to see. That would made zero sense otherwise.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Alex Rios would look handsome in a Braves uniform. He somewhat resembles Dave Justice.

He would look downright Carey Grant-esque. But unfortunately we will be stuck with Mr. Apathy for the next few years.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
If I am Kenny the only deal I am looking to make is for a righty arm in the pen without killing the farm.

That's what Ozzie wants -- says he needs another Santos. Is there anyone down on the farm who shows any promise?