Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:35 AM)
I don't think it is something that simple. Carlos doesn't make any sense to deal if you believe you are in a pennant race unless there is something really wrong. Dealing your second best hitter, especially for a pitcher, when your offense has been awful? It doesn't pass the smell test. If Kenny really wanted to open a spot for Dayan, he would find someone to dump Pierre on, and pick up most of his salary the rest of this year. If he is looking to deal Q it means he is looking for an insane amount of money on an extension, having issues in the clubhouse, really worried about an injury problem, or something worse that none of us have heard about (and in this day and age, speculation would always begin there with juicing or worse).

He might think Quentin has reached peak value. I know fans are high on Viciedo but there are fans who have watched his defense and it's not great. You have the potential to make the OF even worse.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
Think about 2012. Without CQ, MB, EJ, and JP, there's like $40m off the books. Jerry won't put us at $127m again, but he'll sure as hell put us at $100m. Now imagine the above scenario with $15m or so for KW to spend on FA.

I think you have to keep the payroll around $120M if you want to be competitive and your farm system sucks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
http://mlb.mlblogs.com/2011/07/06/white-so...antas-pitchers/

Mark Bowman of mlb.com seems to think the Sox are definitely scouting Atlanta's pitching but he hints that the Braves would be more interested in Pierre than Quentin. What? God I hope it's Rios that they are interested in.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, and LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOO

Mark Bowman of mlb.com seems to think the Sox are definitely scouting Atlanta's pitching but he hints that the Braves would be more interested in Pierre than Quentin. What? God I hope it's Rios that they are interested in.

That would be amazing.

There are two scenarios that arise from that article:

1) The most likely, Bowman is an idiot or he is reporting whatever the team tells him too.

2) The Braves are the dumbest organization for even considering Pierre

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
There are two scenarios that arise from that article:

1) The most likely, Bowman is an idiot or he is reporting whatever the team tells him too.

2) The Braves are the dumbest organization for even considering Pierre

Are you insinuating that JP doesn't put the Braves in better position to match up with the likes of Halladay, Hamels, Lee, Oswalt, Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez? If so, then it's a good thing you don't get paid to speculate.

LOL, Selig would veto the deal, fantasy-style.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

O

O

O

O

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, and LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

O

O

O

O

OOOOO

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

http://sportsnews72.com/mlb/mlb-trade-rumo...atlanta-braves/

MLB Trade Rumors: Is Juan Pierre in Play for the Atlanta Braves?

WRITTEN BY: BLEACHER REPORT MLB - JUL• 06•11

Earlier in the day, I touched on a trade rumor that had the Atlanta Braves possibly making a play for Michael Bourn. Since then, another rumor has surfaced that has the Braves looking at another speedy outfielder.

That would be none other than Juan Pierre of the Chicago White Sox. The word from Mark Bowman of MLB.com is that the White Sox are interested in Atlanta’s pitching (who isn’t?), and that the Braves are going to have to consider whether or not it is worth it to acquire an established leadoff hitter like Pierre.

There are a couple of things that suggest Pierre is worth a deal. The first is that the Braves are in need of a true leadoff man, as Jordan Schafer doesn’t appear to be a reliable option. The second is that the Braves need speed, as they are currently dead last in the National League with 26 stolen bases.

And then there are the reasons why Pierre is not the Braves’ guy. For starters, nobody has ever accused Pierre of being great at getting on base, and that has been the case this year. Pierre is batting just .261, and his .322 on-base percentage is nothing to get excited about. Secondly, he has only been successful on 12 of his 22 stolen base attempts. Lastly, Pierre is and always has been a subpar outfielder.

If it were a simply choice between Pierre and Bourn, the latter would no doubt get the nod. The one thing in Pierre’s favor is that he will be much easier to obtain, as two-time Gold Glovers and capable leadoff men like Bourn don’t exactly grow on trees.

At least, Pierre should be easier to get, but it sounds like the White Sox have other ideas. Bowman points out that the White Sox probably have their eyes on Brandon Beachy, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado. Giving up one of them for the likes of Pierre might not be in the Braves’ best interests.

As such, we can safely file this one under “Possible, but not likely.”

-Zachary D. Rymer

OK, so where is the "April Fool"?

The Sox couldn't give Alex Rios away. I hear the Chairman is actually one of Alex Rios' biggest critics. I wonder if that's why Ozzie chose to bench him when he loafed for the 10,000th time while giving all the other loafers a pass.

Rios value just needs to be put in the proper context. The White Sox acquired him for 0 talent, that meant he was clearly high risk. Until he proves otherwise, you arent going to get more than 0 for him.

As for Pierre, that would be a coup if the Sox got anything for him, but maybe Atlanta just wants a short term solution, I just cant imagine they put up good talent for it.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Anything for Pierre would be fine. Hell, take Brooks Conrad, he's at least clutch.

Oh, absolutely.

I've just never seen him pitch. Trying to get some opinions on him from people that have. I read some stuff from preseason lists, but things can always change.