Sox scouting Brandon Beachy

BaseballNick

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...week/?page=full

Brandon Beachy, RHP, Braves - His success (20 strikeouts, two earned runs in his last 12 innings) since returning from the disabled list may accelerate a possible deal to improve the Braves’ offense. Whether Beachy would be trade bait is anyone’s guess, but his emergence could make a veteran such as Derek Lowe available. The White Sox recently sent Dave Yokum, their fine assistant general manager/pro scout, to watch Beachy and Braves’ pitching, so we’ll see if there’s any match, and whether the White Sox would ever consider dealing Carlos Quentin.

Speculation, indeed. But interesting to think about.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:36 AM)
How much money does McLouth have left on his deal? I'd rather just trade Rios for him, but I don't think the money is nearly equal.

$6.5 million this year and then a club option for 2012 at $10.65 million with a $1.25 million buyout.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
I went ahead and put all of the posts together in one thread.

Sorry, just noticed the catch-all convo. Posted too quickly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Lowe for Rios?

This would be horrible. Who is going to play CF? Lillibridge?

Rios is having a horrible year, but why sell him low, when we have no reasonable replacement, for an older player to add to an already crowded pitching rotation, and get no salary relief in return?

Rios is better than he has been playing, no use for a bad contract swap here.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
Sorry, just noticed the catch-all convo. Posted too quickly.

This would be horrible. Who is going to play CF? Lillibridge?

Rios is having a horrible year, but why sell him low, when we have no reasonable replacement, for an older player to add to an already crowded pitching rotation, and get no salary relief in return?

Rios is better than he has been playing, no use for a bad contract swap here.

Maybe the Sox just want to get him off the roster? And also maybe they have a good deal lined up for Danks they want to execute, but they don't want to do it and rely on Peavy's health? You want to know who our CF could be? Long time Sox killer Melky Cabrera is supposedly on the market.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
Maybe the Sox just want to get him off the roster? And also maybe they have a good deal lined up for Danks they want to execute, but they don't want to do it and rely on Peavy's health? You want to know who our CF could be? Long time Sox killer Melky Cabrera is supposedly on the market.

Man, that turns into a big complex deal awful quick. That is the type of thing that gets done at the winter meetings, not in July.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Man, that turns into a big complex deal awful quick. That is the type of thing that gets done at the winter meetings, not in July.

Think of it this way...you're not trading Quentin for another pitcher if you're planning on having 7 starters on the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)

Unless they are named Hosmer or Moustakas, I would like to stay away from the Royals please.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:13 AM)
Think of it this way...you're not trading Quentin for another pitcher if you're planning on having 7 starters on the roster.

That was my whole point originally. Unless we are punting on 2011, Quentin isn't going anywhere, but especially for another pitcher.

Now if we get to the point where we sell off, Danks and Quentin could very well by the top of the list of guys to get dealt, as they would bring the biggest returns by far.

4 years/$60M (2009-12)

signed by Atlanta as a free agent 1/15/09

09:$15M, 10:$15M, 11:$15M, 12:$15M

Lowe is currently the Braves' highest paid player.

The problem is that Rios is signed through 2014, right? It would have to be something like Beachy & Lowe for Rios, Quentin and one more piece from the White Sox (Jackson maybe, although they'd ask for Floyd/Danks).

Seems too complicated to pull off.

On one hand, you get rid of Rios and you might not even want to pay Quentin $8-9 million in 2012, but the only way they're (Braves) going to take Rios' contract for that many years is if you give them Danks, Jackson or Floyd as well. They don't need Viciedo AND Quentin, and we can't possibly give up both of them anyway. That also leaves the starting outfield as Pierre, Lillibridge/DeAza (Danks if DeAza flops) platoon and Viciedo.

But I just can't imagine KW biting the bullet on the Rios deal in such a manner.

Edited by caulfield12

Lowe for Rios makes more sense than Quentin for Beachy. But I'm skeptical about either. If Rios goes away, there is a hole in CF. I don't think Pierre can play there anymore, so the only other options are Lillibridge and De Aza...and I'll defer to those who know more and at least no argue that neither are everyday CFers.

Unless there's some secondary trade that will bring us more offense, or we can get rid of Rios, we don't improve our team in this deal at all. Trading Quentin, especially for pitching, is a bad idea. I'm guessing this won't go anywhere.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Trade way a 30 homer 100 RBI man who just got named to the All-Star team. Makes a lot of sense.

How many times has he done this?

point being, if you can get fair value for CQ then you can do it when you have Viciedo tearing it up in the minors waiting for his callup. CQ has played 130, 99, and 131 games in the past 3 seasons, he isnt exactly a picture of durability. We all would love to dump pierre/rios/teahen/Dunn but it isnt realistic.

Beachy is a good get. Lowe, eh, I am not so excited about the contract but whatever

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
Trade way a 30 homer 100 RBI man who just got named to the All-Star team. Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, I think the point is that KW has seen this before. CQ can be a monster, but he's proven that he's streaky and prone to long stretches of bad. That being said, his value is currently at a premium and he's setting himself up for a big arbitration raise or contract extension. Given that Viciedo is essentially the same type of player, it makes a ton of sense to consider dumping the more expensive and still risky CQ while we can maximize the return.

Now, it absolutely makes us worse right now, but it's an opportunity to be in much better shape going forward, and it's an opportunity that won't last for very long. I don't know if it's the right move, but I think it's something you have to consider.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
If thats the case then I hope our pitching staff would be like this: Peavy, Buerhle, Danks, Beachy, Lowe

Someway we get rid of Jackson and Floyd for prospects or offensive help

I highly doubt the both Lowe and Beachy go, as much as I highly doubt that both Rios and CQ go. I think it's either a Rios/Lowe or CQ/Beachy situation, with some add-ins here or there.