Casey Anthony Verdict

Kyyle23

once OJ is free he and Casey will be joining forces to find the real killers

OK so the child drowns and it is an accident. If true isn't there some kind of crime there? The whole case seems kind of bonkers to me.

I also gotta tell ya. The state of Florida itself scares the s*** of me. There are some backwards ass f***s down there.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
The defense had the grandmother testify that it was SHE, not Casey, who made the searches. The prosecution later showed that the grandmother was on to her work computer at the time, so she pretty blatantly perjured herself.

Well shouldn't granny go on trial?

What was granny's reason for looking up information on that kind of stuff?

It is sad that the prosecution did indicate after the trial that there are 100 more cases now to work on that are just as horrible but haven't received the news attention. All these horrible crimes.

One has to wonder what would have happened in this case with no publicity at all.

Crimes against kids are so sad.

So people ... how did this child die? If she's innocent ... what the f*** happened?

It's like the OJ case? Who else coulda done it? Uh, nobody so case closed??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
once OJ is free he and Casey will be joining forces to find the real killers

OK so the child drowns and it is an accident. If true isn't there some kind of crime there? The whole case seems kind of bonkers to me.

I also gotta tell ya. The state of Florida itself scares the s*** of me. There are some backwards ass f***s down there.

this is true

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)

The grandmother said she searched for "chloroform" because she was looking up information about chlorophyll. She couldn't explain the "how to make chloroform" and "neckbreaking" searches.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)

It's not illegal to google chloroform

Edited by kev211

If by new, you mean old.

Our entire criminal system is created so that the benefit of the doubt goes to the accused. Could have easily had the standard "preponderance of the evidence" standard. In which case it just had to be more likely true than untrue.

The only thing the prosecutors could have done differently was not gone for the jugular with a first degree murder charge. Maybe charge the family with manslaughter or something that is easier to pitch to a jury.

Without really being active in the case its hard to second guess, you can only rely on what newspapers report and Id say 50% of that is fact at best.

Here is an article that talks about some of the issues with going for the Death Penalty.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2011070...?p=1&tc=pgp

Personally I probably wouldnt have gone for it, Id have let the Defense make their arguments that Casey was abused by her father, etc. and say while that makes her sympathetic, while it makes her a victim, it doesnt make her daughter any less of a victim, and the evidence is clear, the child died because of someones negligence, someone has to be responsible, whether its the grandfather, grandmother or daughter, someone let the child drown.

I think you can convince a jury to give out 3 manslaughter charges and call it a day.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
It's too bad what happened today.

Unfortunately, somebody will probably try to take the law into their own hands. She better have some good security, or get in the witness protection program.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
The only thing the prosecutors could have done differently was not gone for the jugular with a first degree murder charge. Maybe charge the family with manslaughter or something that is easier to pitch to a jury.

Without really being active in the case its hard to second guess, you can only rely on what newspapers report and Id say 50% of that is fact at best.

Here is an article that talks about some of the issues with going for the Death Penalty.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2011070...?p=1&tc=pgp

Personally I probably wouldnt have gone for it, Id have let the Defense make their arguments that Casey was abused by her father, etc. and say while that makes her sympathetic, while it makes her a victim, it doesnt make her daughter any less of a victim, and the evidence is clear, the child died because of someones negligence, someone has to be responsible, whether its the grandfather, grandmother or daughter, someone let the child drown.

I think you can convince a jury to give out 3 manslaughter charges and call it a day.

1.) Really? You really believe somebody will harm the mom? Nobody hurt OJ.

2.) Great great post. Makes real sense to me. Why did they get greedy?

Serious question:

Why is this case now closed? OK, a jury said mom didn't do it? Well, Florida, who did?? So the government is saying, 'We KNOW mom did it but jury wouldn't convict. Case closed.'

State of Florida could bring a case against another defendant, but they can not charge Casey with the same crime (double jeopardy). Thus if Florida wanted,they could charge the grandmother and grandfather for the death, which at this point wouldnt be the worst idea.

The biggest problem with the shotgun approach is that it gives credence to the Defense's case. When going up against "beyond a reasonable doubt" you cant really have multiple theories (Casey killed her with chloroform or she drowned her) because that leads to the jury doubting what happened. Its just a sloppy case in terms of the murder. Casey was smart about lying, because at the end of the day 4 perjury/obstructing justice convictions are a hell of a lot better than 1 murder conviction.

I really am not sure why they didnt go after a bunch of different charges, but I am not privy to what they were thinking.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 10:12 PM)
Why would granny take the heat for her granddaughter? Didn't she feel terrible for her greatgrandaughter?

It was Casey's mom, Caylee's grandmother. Doesn't want to see her daughter get the death penalty, I imagine.

I agree with Badger.

I think its hard to overcome the natual instincts of ordinary folks to not want to accept or believe that a sane mother would murder her own, beautiful child with pre-meditation, let alone convince a jury of that beyond a reasonable doubt with no concrete, direct evidence.

They should not have pursued the dealth penalty for murder one.

Is there any chance the judge could give the mom/alleged murderer the strictest sentence on the minor charges she was found guilty of?

I mean in a f***ing murder case you shouldn't be lying to the police.

I assume she could get a few years in jail if the judge goes max. sentence.

He'd also be a fricking hero. Can he do that?? Will he do that??

Serious question here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
Is there any chance the judge could give the mom/alleged murderer the strictest sentence on the minor charges she was found guilty of?

I mean in a f***ing murder case you shouldn't be lying to the police.

I assume she could get a few years in jail if the judge goes max. sentence.

He'd also be a fricking hero. Can he do that?? Will he do that??

Serious question here.

I think it's like a year max for each of those 4 lying charges, and she's already been in jail almost 3 years, so....not likely.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
I agree with Badger.

I think its hard to overcome the natual instincts of ordinary folks to not want to accept or believe that a sane mother would murder her own, beautiful child with pre-meditation, let alone convince a jury of that beyond a reasonable doubt with no concrete, direct evidence.

They should not have pursued the dealth penalty for murder one.

Exactly get three counts of manslaughter and have them each look at 7 years and sort it out

that fact she did not report the death and covered it up should get her a couple of years in jail at a minimum

She can get 4 years max on the obstruction charges

I am not sure I would convict for the death penalty but he otehr charges seemed to stick.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
1.) Really? You really believe somebody will harm the mom? Nobody hurt OJ.

I think the difference here is this is about a mother and her child. I think OJ's celebrity wasn't relatable to the average person.

With this chick, there could be a bunch of women that might want to take her out. I definitely think Casey Anthony will get in fights with women. You never know how far somebody will take it.