Casey Anthony Verdict

Kyyle23

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
You still get paid your work salary + time off, + a tiny jury pay check. I believe its illegal for your work to fire you or punish you for being on a jury.

That's a luxury only certain companies give. It's definitely not mandatory to pay you.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
My job pays me... I just have to input hours under a different code for "Jury Duty" is all.

i was at one company who would pay you, but you had to sign over your jury check to them in order to get paid.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
i was at one company who would pay you, but you had to sign over your jury check to them in order to get paid.

That seems kinda draconian but I don't think it is... considering you probably make significantly more in one day than you ever would on a jury.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
That seems kinda draconian but I don't think it is... considering you probably make significantly more in one day than you ever would on a jury.

Oh I know. I was just making the point that it usually isn't work pay+jury pay.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)

I'd hope so, since a full day of Jury Duty pays you like, what, 17$?

The media circus around the Casey Anthony trial just reached its climax yesterday with the reading of her "not guilty" verdict. I have for the most part avoided the trial altogether, but it is often hard to miss even when briefly browsing mainstream news outlets. I find it mostly offensive, not because so much attention is focused on the murder of an innocent child, but because of the lack of attention given to the hundreds of other children who either go missing or are found murdered each year. It seems that only if the victim is a cute white child and/or their parents are famous, beautiful or rich will they be given more than a passing mention, if any at all, on a national news outlet. Where are the stories of on-going trials or searches for murdered or missing black, Hispanic, poor, orphaned, ugly, etc. children? Caylee Anthony, JonBenet Ramsey and Elizabeth Smart (through no fault of their own, of course) tend to garner thousands of hours of coverage, where as the disappearance of little Luis Alberto Amaya of Fresno, California is not even mentioned on the local news.

via

Edited by BigSqwert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Seriously the American public has a bizarre fascination with attractive white women.

I bring this up often, but Girl X's incident happened around the same time as Jonbenet Ramsey, everybody knows who Ramsey is but hardly anybody remembers Girl X. One of them got weeks, months, years of speculation about the case, the other got mentioned on the 10 o'clock news a couple times.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I'd hope so, since a full day of Jury Duty pays you like, what, 17$?

I got $10 when I went. It just about covered my lunch and parking expenses. I also missed an entire day's worth of pay at work.

I had to make up a lie that I was biased against police officers so they wouldn't pick me.

I wish now that I would have just told them that I really didn't want to be there and my only goal was to get out as soon as possible. That if it meant agreeing with the other 11 jurors even though I didn't believe it I would.

Which would've been completely unfair to everyone involved. It was easier to just lie...

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)

Seriously the American public has a bizarre fascination with attractive white women.

I bring this up often, but Girl X's incident happened around the same time as Jonbenet Ramsey, everybody knows who Ramsey is but hardly anybody remembers Girl X. One of them got weeks, months, years of speculation about the case, the other got mentioned on the 10 o'clock news a couple times.

Was Girl X the case where two boys saw her dead body and then told people they had killed her?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Was Girl X the case where two boys saw her dead body and then told people they had killed her?

They found her beaten, raped, and poisoned in the stairwell in Cabrini. I actually think she survived, but was in a coma and unable to communicate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
They found her beaten, raped, and poisoned in the stairwell in Cabrini. I actually think she survived, but was in a coma and unable to communicate.

Yeah, I remember that part. I must be remembering a different case where two boys were brought to the grand jury before semen was discovered.

She's alive. She's like 20 now but basically paralyzed and she can't speak, she can hear you but to talk to you she does this long, elaborate series of spelling out words by blinking.

edit: her real name is Toya Currie. They called her Girl X because at the time she was a minor, I think she was 7 or 8.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
Yeah, I remember that part. I must be remembering a different case where two boys were brought to the grand jury before semen was discovered.

I remember a case like that too. I think it may have been a different one, where a dead girl was found in an abandoned lot or building.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:57 AM)

I didn't understand the insane amount of coverage either. Maybe it has to do with her being a sort of typical average suburban American? She wasn't a gang member who killed someone, she wasn't some hillbilly house wife that shot her abusive husband. She was the sort of "everyday" girl that the majority of people in the country could relate too that did something truly awful in killing her own child. It's almost straight out of one of those Dateline crime shows.

Also, I agree 100% with her attorney:

Anthony's attorney Cheney Mason blasted the media after the verdict.

"Well, I hope that this is a lesson to those of you having indulged in media assassination for three years, bias, prejudice and incompetent talking heads saying what would be and how to be," Mason said.

"I'm disgusted by some of the lawyers that have done this, and I can tell you that my colleagues from coast to coast and border to border have condemned this whole process of lawyers getting on television and talking about cases that they don't know a damn thing about."

The jurors — seven women and five men — would not talk to the media, and their identities were kept secret by the court.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
I got $10 when I went. It just about covered my lunch and parking expenses. I also missed an entire day's worth of pay at work.

I had to make up a lie that I was biased against police officers so they wouldn't pick me.

I wish now that I would have just told them that I really didn't want to be there and my only goal was to get out as soon as possible. That if it meant agreeing with the other 11 jurors even though I didn't believe it I would.

Which would've been completely unfair to everyone involved. It was easier to just lie...

You can use financial hardship as a reason to get out of jury duty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)

The company I work for is the exact same way. I had to serve a few days a couple years back. It was pretty sweet tho, two of the days I didn't get picked so was outta there in like 30 minutes. I still got the entire days pay from work tho.

The reason this case got any attention is because of how Casey Anthony looks. It's no secret. This is just different and interesting to 'Merika. Just like OJ was no different than any other domestic abuse/murder case, except he was a celebrity.

casey-anthony-party-dress.jpg

That's absolutely the only reason this matters... she's hot.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
I didn't understand the insane amount of coverage either. Maybe it has to do with her being a sort of typical average suburban American? She wasn't a gang member who killed someone, she wasn't some hillbilly house wife that shot her abusive husband. She was the sort of "everyday" girl that the majority of people in the country could relate too that did something truly awful in killing her own child. It's almost straight out of one of those Dateline crime shows.

You mentioned two situations where the outcome wasnt a surprise. An avg good looking woman like her sadistically killing her daughter and then partying for a month before reporting her missing is not an everyday occurrence. Thats why it got a ton of press.

And I watch a s***load of mysteries on ID channel with really f***ed up plots and stories and many of those were never reported like this case. This just happened to be one of those where the public reaction fueled the coverage.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
You mentioned two situations where the outcome wasnt a surprise. An avg good looking woman like her sadistically killing her daughter and then partying for a month before reporting her missing is not an everyday occurrence. Thats why it got a ton of press.

And I watch a s***load of mysteries on ID channel with really f***ed up plots and stories and many of those were never reported like this case. This just happened to be one of those where the public reaction fueled the coverage.

Again, us in the midwest have no idea how big this trial was in Florida.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 6, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
Again, us in the midwest have no idea how big this trial was in Florida.

True. I only saw it covered like crazy when I went to Michigan. It was only a passing story to me here to be honest. I have been more worried about getting robbed at the taste.