Sox fielding calls for Edwin Jackson

Baron

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:20 PM)
whom is realistically tradable? I think to anwser that you have to look at seasons coming down the road. The White Sox only have four starters signed going into next season with Jackson and Buehrle being free agents, so looking at that you certainly don't trade Danks, Floyd, Peavy or Humber. You can move either Jackson or Buehrle however, but given the two, Jackson is much more likely to be moved.Rumors are swirling that the Yankees, and other teams, are calling for Edwin Jackson. White Sox will probably want either MLB-ready player or a regular starter from the Yankees or anyone else for that matter. I would love Brett Gardner on the South Side but just Jackson probably wouldn't cut it

Looking at the line-up, the White Sox have most of them coming back next season with only Pierre being a free agent after this season. However, after 2011 Carlos Quentin is a free agent. If you move Quentin, you have to find someone to replace him, obviously. You assume Viciedo replaces Pierre, and you can probably put Alejandro De Aza in for Quentin if he's moved. The White Sox could also want to resign him with roughly 14 million coming off the payroll after 2012.

Rumor was flying that Carlos Quentin could be sent to Atlanta for minor league starter Brandon Beachy. Looking at his stats, adding Beachy would be a solid pick up, but then you lose a guy who usually has a high OBP, and when heathy, a guy who can club hit you around 25 home runs. Plus you still have Edwin Jackson.

If they do move Quentin then don't re-sign Pierre this offseason, which they wont, then Sox can put two young pieces in the two corner spots in De Aza and Viciedo. Its kind of lame that four players take up 55MM on the payroll, but if they produce then you're getting what you pay for. If not, then its dead money. And so far only Konerko is being what we paid for.

I assume Quentin is getting moved because even though they can probably re-sign him after next season, I don't think they do I reckon they're content with Viciedo in RF and its less money the brass has to shell out, and I assume Jackson is moved because he's not resigning and they want something for him instead of letting him walk.

No, you want to trade Danks + Floyd to try and get talent in return. Sale will be in the rotation and Buehrle will probably resign.

Beachy isn't a minor leaguer, he's a MLB pitcher.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
No, you want to trade Danks + Floyd to try and get talent in return. Sale will be in the rotation and Buehrle will probably resign.

What would we realistically get for them though? We're not going to get much back for Floyd, Jackson and Danks. Are we going to get three starters or MLB-ready starters in return? I don't think the Sox are as bad off next season like a lot of folks do.

Side question: Isn't Sale's mechanics not good for starting? I thought I remember that being an issue last season.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
Beachy isn't a minor leaguer, he's a MLB pitcher.

Whoops. My bad.

:P

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 10:51 PM)
What would we realistically get for them though? We're not going to get much back for Floyd, Jackson and Danks. Are we going to get three starters or MLB-ready starters in return? I don't think the Sox are as bad off next season like a lot of folks do.

Side question: Isn't Sale's mechanics not good for starting? I thought I remember that being an issue last season.

Whoops. My bad.

:P

What you want to do is spin at least one of Q/Floyd/Jackson/Danks for a young, good SP, like Beachy.

The longterm plan with Sale is for him to be a starter.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 09:20 PM)
whom is realistically tradable? I think to anwser that you have to look at seasons coming down the road. The White Sox only have four starters signed going into next season with Jackson and Buehrle being free agents, so looking at that you certainly don't trade Danks, Floyd, Peavy or Humber. You can move either Jackson or Buehrle however, but given the two, Jackson is much more likely to be moved.Rumors are swirling that the Yankees, and other teams, are calling for Edwin Jackson. White Sox will probably want either MLB-ready player or a regular starter from the Yankees or anyone else for that matter. I would love Brett Gardner on the South Side but just Jackson probably wouldn't cut it

Looking at the line-up, the White Sox have most of them coming back next season with only Pierre being a free agent after this season. However, after 2011 Carlos Quentin is a free agent. If you move Quentin, you have to find someone to replace him, obviously. You assume Viciedo replaces Pierre, and you can probably put Alejandro De Aza in for Quentin if he's moved. The White Sox could also want to resign him with roughly 14 million coming off the payroll after 2012.

Rumor was flying that Carlos Quentin could be sent to Atlanta for minor league starter Brandon Beachy. Looking at his stats, adding Beachy would be a solid pick up, but then you lose a guy who usually has a high OBP, and when heathy, a guy who can club hit you around 25 home runs. Plus you still have Edwin Jackson.

If they do move Quentin then don't re-sign Pierre this offseason, which they wont, then Sox can put two young pieces in the two corner spots in De Aza and Viciedo. Its kind of lame that four players take up 55MM on the payroll, but if they produce then you're getting what you pay for. If not, then its dead money. And so far only Konerko is being what we paid for.

I assume Quentin is getting moved because even though they can probably re-sign him after next season, I don't think they do I reckon they're content with Viciedo in RF and its less money the brass has to shell out, and I assume Jackson is moved because he's not resigning and they want something for him instead of letting him walk.

Jackson is free to walk as a Free Agent whether we offer him arbitration or not. Right oow, we'd get back a sandwich pick as he's classified as a Type B FA (as a Boras client, he's likely to be able to sign for more than his current salary with at least 2-3 other MLB teams).

We control Quentin's rights for one more season. Probably, if it went to arbitration, he'd receive $7.25-8.25 million for next season, assuming he puts up another season of 25-35 homers and 85-110 RBI's.

Danks, Floyd and then maybe Sale have the most value to other organizations....Buehrle would probably net you a Top 10-15 prospect in another organization, but mostly it would be a salary dump. And the odds would be at least 50/50 we could get him back in Chicago again, although a lot of posters believe he only would go to St. Louis in a trade. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out, like in 2007.

Peavy's almost more unmoveable than Dunn or Rios....unless he features his 95 MPH fastball for 3 starts in a row...or he keeps pitching that well through August and another team does a waiver claim.

Then you're still left with a big hole in your rotation for 2012. At this point, the organization seems wedded to the fact that Peavy will finally be 100% again in 2012 and it's too early to cut bait on that contract (along with the insurance subsidy we're getting)....that the odds on him justifying that contract have to turn in our favor soon.

We'll probably take a much longer look at Hector Santiago as a 5th starter as well if he continues to pitch as well as he did the first two times out of the pen...featuring the same quality of stuff with 3-4 different pitches and the changes of speed he was able to command.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
http://www.beerleaguer.com/whitesox/2011/0...in-jackson.html

Some good arguments why Edwin won't be traded b4 the deadline. Maybe they can run him through waivers in August and still work out something, but that's a lot less likely.

Apparently not a big fan of the Hudson/Holmberg deal!!!

I would understand why/if they didn't trade Jackson. As was mentioned, Peavy is always questionable at best, and the starting rotation has been the least of the concerns for the White Sox. Trade Jackson, you go back to 5 starters, but it could be 4 rather quickly if Peavy doens't hold up. A dependable starting rotation, also including Humber who hasn't done this over a full season and the erratic Gavin Floyd, then becomes a possible issue.

On the other hand, the White Sox have about 15 days to decide if they want to move Jackson via trade. If they think they can survive the madness of Peavy for about 1 month, if they think getting back to a 5 man rotation actually strengthens the rotation (vs the 6 days), and pick up a piece who can help next season (given the constraints of the White Sox payroll, Wiliams is going to need to find cheap help, and, in this case, could be a solid prospect as well).

If this team continues to flounder about 3 games under .500 like it's done most of the last month or so, and Williams concludes that this team is what he's been seeing all season (as opposed to what he thought he had), I think it's a smart move to look at dealing both Jackson and Quentin.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Atlanta seems to be a significantly better trade partner for Rasmus. However, if you can trade Danks for Rasmus and Quentin for Beachy, then sign me up.

The Braves are looking for a RH bat I think...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 11:32 PM)
A shutout vs. DET? Who would want this guy?

is this a serious post? look at his season overall... Peavy CGSO the tribe this year didnt he? his numbers still arent anything but mediocre

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
The Braves are looking for a RH bat I think...

IMO Quentin or Viciedo gets dealt to the Phillies if we deal anybody significant, they need RH power badly

and either/or, will be a s***ty day to be a Sox fan

If you look at all of Jackson's peripherals, he's head and shoulders over Peavy.

Just the eye test....Jackson's stuff right now and Peavy's aren't even in the same ballpark. And when you factor in Jackson's FA status and the fact that any team picking him up willl surely get the compensation/sandwich pick, it's a no brainer to at least pursue him.

If nothing else, the guy has a rubber arm and is a dependable 4th/5th innings eater.

When he's on, like he was for DET two years ago or with us in the 2nd half, he's a frontline starter, at least a #2 with the arsenal of an ace. He's one of the few pitchers out there who can still post quality starts when he has command of just one of his pitches.

For any team (ironically, like the Tigers), he'd be a perfect addition. Even more amusing is that they could really use Matt Joyce right now with the lack of production they're getting from Magglio, not to mention his high price tag.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:18 AM)
is this a serious post? look at his season overall... Peavy CGSO the tribe this year didnt he? his numbers still arent anything but mediocre

That is my point. Jackson has the stuff, but the trade always upset me cause he is so unpredictable. If he keeps pitching these shutours though, he can make me a believer.

You don't get too excited over one start. His next one might be a dud. Edwin Jackson to me, although their styles are different, is the second coming, results-wise to Jose Contreras. Up and down, up and down, if he ever puts it together for a long stretch, he's an ace anywhere, but he's not going to re-sign at a figure JR and KW would be comforable with, so if a team wants to give you something useful for him, make the deal. 6 man rotations aren't going to work. If its just for some minor league scrap that probably will top off at batting 6th or having a 4.84 ERA with the Charlotte Knights, you might as well keep him.