Are you in or out?

kjshoe04

113 members have voted

1. 1. Well, What are you?

• In
    • Out

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Seems to me from his reaction to the first question that now he wants an extension beyond 2012. LOL, he is more likely to get a kick in the ass on the way out the door when we deal him to the Marlins in the offseason for a bag of baseballs. Good luck Ozzie, your time has run out here in Chicago. I really liked your fire and personality as a manager but your decision making, pigheadedness and family dramatics led to your demise. Thanks for 2005, now beat it.

Ozzie better be gone after this season. This team is massively underachieving and has zero energy. They've even said it themselves that they have a tough time getting up for games.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamondbacks

Indians if the Sox are out of it, although they're falling off now too

Pirates, although that ship looks like it has already sailed

Brewers (I think most are sick of the Cardinals)

Nationals (although Harper is far from likeable, Strasburg is coming back this weekend for a rehab start)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
That is a bright spot. It is ova officially finally.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I don't even know anymore) it's not over. And it won't be over, mathematically, for quite a while. We know it's over, but we're going to hear the clips and buzzwords soon. "The team needs to go on a run", "The tools are there", "Loaded with talent", etc. It's going to be a long painful ride to elimination. Even up until the beginning of this series I had a glimmer of hope that the team could fight its way to the top (with some help from the other bad teams in the division), but I just don't see it now.

By the way, Rongey finally admitted in the post-game that the Sox MIGHT need more leadership in the clubhouse.

Someone the other players respected who could get on everyone...and also with a sense of humor, I guess in the Rowand/Everett mode. He was having a little bit of difficulty articulating exactly what it was, but you just have the sense there's something terribly off with the chemistry, clubhouse, atmosphere around this team. You don't get the sense that most of the players enjoy being around each other much or want to stay after games. Obviously, it can't be Jake Peavy because he's been hurt so much and has pitched more like a fifth starter than an ace for the majority of this season. Beckham was also supposed to be that Jeter-esque leader and franchise cornerstone and we know where we're at with Gordon at this point in time.

This is the danger of KW's approach...these players didn't all come up together and weather adversity and learn to win as a unit. They've always been a collection of spare parts and castoffs and former 1st round draft picks from other organizations. That approach can work every once in a while, but it's simply not a recipe for developing a consistently successful winning franchise.

During this five-game losing streak, there have been NUMEROUS mistakes from a fundamentals standpoint that aren't being addressed or corrected. The only player who was supposedly called out for this was Lillibridge, and yet Rios does it 2-3-4 times per game without being held accountable. Quentin and Ramirez should or could be superstars under the right instruction, but they just do whatever they feel like doing at the plate and don't seem to be "team first-oriented" in terms of advancing runners or changing their approach with runners on base or 2 strikes.

Fine, Walker doesn't teach "pull/hook," but he can't at least TRY to get some of these guys to take outside pitches to the opposite field instead of trying to go around them...resulting in weak grounders to 3B and SS. It's been the same story all season long.

Doesn't matter if it's KW's fault or Ozzie's, both need to go. The sooner the better.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:56 AM)
By the way, Rongey finally admitted in the post-game that the Sox MIGHT need more leadership in the clubhouse.

Someone the other players respected who could get on everyone...and also with a sense of humor, I guess in the Rowand/Everett mode. He was having a little bit of difficulty articulating exactly what it was, but you just have the sense there's something terribly off with the chemistry, clubhouse, atmosphere around this team. You don't get the sense that most of the players enjoy being around each other much or want to stay after games. Obviously, it can't be Jake Peavy because he's been hurt so much and has pitched more like a fifth starter than an ace for the majority of this season. Beckham was also supposed to be that Jeter-esque leader and franchise cornerstone and we know where we're at with Gordon at this point in time.

This is the danger of KW's approach...these players didn't all come up together and weather adversity and learn to win as a unit. They've always been a collection of spare parts and castoffs and former 1st round draft picks from other organizations. That approach can work every once in a while, but it's simply not a recipe for developing a consistently successful winning franchise.

During this five-game losing streak, there have been NUMEROUS mistakes from a fundamentals standpoint that aren't being addressed or corrected. The only player who was supposedly called out for this was Lillibridge, and yet Rios does it 2-3-4 times per game without being held accountable. Quentin and Ramirez should or could be superstars under the right instruction, but they just do whatever they feel like doing at the plate and don't seem to be "team first-oriented" in terms of advancing runners or changing their approach with runners on base or 2 strikes.

Fine, Walker doesn't teach "pull/hook," but he can't at least TRY to get some of these guys to take outside pitches to the opposite field instead of trying to go around them...resulting in weak grounders to 3B and SS. It's been the same story all season long.

Doesn't matter if it's KW's fault or Ozzie's, both need to go. The sooner the better.

We just saw an article the other day about what Walker things Rios should be doing, and Rios isn't doing it. What does that tell you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
We just saw an article the other day about what Walker things Rios should be doing, and Rios isn't doing it. What does that tell you?

It tells me Rios isn't listening to Walker. Whether that's because Rios is a total jackass or because players are tuning Walker out seems irrelevant in this situation, because it would seem that no one on the team, save Konerko and maybe Quentin, is listening to him.

(with Rios, I'm going to guess it's because he's a total jackass. I don't feel the same about Beckham, Morel, or Dunn though)

Yeah it is pretty ridiculous at this point that Kenny is sitting back watching Ozzie & his staff sink the ship. Enough is enough.

And right now I don't care what Walker is or is not doing. Skiles was a good coach but the players had enough and stopped playing for him, and maybe the same thing is happening with Ozzie and his whole staff.

I also find it especially difficult to blame Rios or Dunn for being lazy asses after the latest Oney gate. Between Ozzie's kids, the KW-Ozzie marriage from hell, etc, there's no reason for the players to give a s*** anymore. I mean, if the players are supposed to be following the examples set by their GM, manager, and coaching staff, then they're doing a fantastic job sleepwalking through the day and showing up just for the paycheck.

I would like to see KW clean house right now and be the GM he is supposed to be. I definitely still believe that he can be one of the best GMs in the league IF he does things his way. But if he is so intent on keeping things they are, to the point of wasting the rest of this season, then I want no part of him. This division is so abysmal that even now a reinvigorated Sox team can make a run, or if not, at least change the clubhouse atmosphere so you don't bring up the kids in this environment.

I would like to see KW clean house right now and be the GM he is supposed to be. I definitely still believe that he can be one of the best GMs in the league IF he does things his way.

Are you serious? KW has had the whole run of the place for many years. If he's not the entire problem then he's at leats 75 % of it.

The White Sox roller coaster is almost as extreme as the stock market. The team got owned by the two best teams in the league, and now has looked solid again against two of the worst. That just reafffirms that things are never as bright or dim as they seem at the time.

What's most encouraging to me is that Rios and Beckham are looking better, and Ozzie has finally shown willingness to platoon and demote Dunn.

The Sox are still in striking distance and control their own fate. If they can carry this momentum into and through the next homestand against an Indians team they've beat up on so far, it might be time to really get excited again.

I'm up for it and "In."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 04:56 AM)

Someone the other players respected who could get on everyone...and also with a sense of humor, I guess in the Rowand/Everett mode. He was having a little bit of difficulty articulating exactly what it was, but you just have the sense there's something terribly off with the chemistry, clubhouse, atmosphere around this team. You don't get the sense that most of the players enjoy being around each other much or want to stay after games.

Wow, Rongey said that? That's pretty remarkable that he would bring that sort of thing to light, I wouldn't have expected it from him. And it's a surprise, too, since earlier guys like Danks, Konerko and even Ozzie made mention of what a solid clubhouse it is. Kudos to Rongey for blasting the team and outing this turn of events. Surprised the print guys haven't picked up on it, though. What's up with that?

I'm with this guy, it's perfect:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/10/hog...-you-buying-in/

Baseball Prospectus gives the White Sox a 25.7 percent chance of making the playoffs — up 5.7 percent from Tuesday — but here’s the approach I’m taking with this team (and I advise you to do the same): I’m not going to let myself get fully re-invested in the White Sox until the calendar flips to September. If on September 1 the White Sox are within three games of first place or better, I’ll buy in. If not, the college football season kicks off that night and the Bears play their final preseason game against the Browns. Let’s play some football.

That’s not to say I’m not watching the games or don’t care if the they win or lose. But I’m not going to put any expectations on the White Sox until September. They could very well rip off a great couple weeks and be in first place by the end of their next home stand, but even then, I’m going to look at the fact that their offense ranks towards the bottom of Major League Baseball and have my reservations.

September 1st. That’s the date we re-evaluate this team and decide if should expect them to make the playoffs.