113 members have voted

1. 1. Well, What are you?

• In
    • Out

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
I can't believe that I hate a team so much that I love, if that makes any sense...

Seriously, this current team can go f*** themselves. I really do hope they sneak into the playoffs but I f***in despise this group.

This. I have to stop watching games because every guy that comes to plate I just rip and sarcastically talk about. It's making me miserable.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 02:26 AM)
This. I have to stop watching games because every guy that comes to plate I just rip and sarcastically talk about. It's making me miserable.

All I can say is that it's a good thing this site has a "no wishing injury upon Sox player" policy.

I remain indifferent.

Wuoldn't it be great to have this lineup the rest of the season though.

LF - Dayan.

CF - DeAza/Danks platoon.

RF - CQ

3B - Do we have anybody in AA or AAA? If not Morel I guess.

SS - Lexi

2B - Beckham (with new hitting coach)

1B - Paulie

C - Flowers

DH - AJ 6 days a week; Juan once a week out of loyalty.

P - Make Sale a starter and let that guy we got in the Jackson trade start as well.

Let Rios coach third base; Let Dunn coach first base. If they screw up that, fine them.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 09:16 PM)
Funny how Sox and Twins might have the bleakest futures in the AL Central.

Maybe so, but both franchises have had their runs at the division the past 6-8 years. Things change. Plus at least the Twins have a few prospects that might be legit. It's pretty bleak for the White Sox.

So who is everyone else picking to be their teams to root for over the next 3 months? For me

AL: Texas - I love watching this team. Power, speed, young arms. A lots more talent still to come

NL - Atlanta - Again with the young arms. I'm tired of the Phillies and Giants. I would pick Milwaukee but has anybody seen the left side of their infield? Their pen? yeeessshhhh

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:11 AM)
So who is everyone else picking to be their teams to root for over the next 3 months? For me

AL: Texas - I love watching this team. Power, speed, young arms. A lots more talent still to come

NL - Atlanta - Again with the young arms. I'm tired of the Phillies and Giants. I would pick Milwaukee but has anybody seen the left side of their infield? Their pen? yeeessshhhh

Hard to root hard for anybody else.

I guess there'd be worse things than Cleveland winning it all.

OUT! Completely pathetic brand of baseball being thrown out there right now...and doesn't look to get any better. The spirit of this team is non-existant...they have zero fight. I can't ever remember being so completely disgusted with a White Sox team in my life...EVER!

OUT.

I've said it long time ago (which was probably an overreaction at the time). I've said this team is not winning s***. I truly believe. We keep on telling ourseleves that AL Central is up for grabs (and sure it is) beaing a weak divison. But 2011 White Sox (offense) have no business in the playoffs.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
You picked the wrong organization. With Kenny as GM he's already got the system were a rebuild would take a loooooooooong time.

I would just like to suggest that rebuilding can be done pretty quickly and relatively on the fly, if done properly. There is enough young or long-term cost controlled talent on the roster that trading a few key guys could result in a pretty quick turnaround. The main problem arises when a certain GM thinks his team is 1 piece away from being a big time contender, trades a ton for that 1 piece, and then turns around within 12 months and trades said piece for cents on the dollar.

That's actually happened twice in the last 4 years with this organization, and I actually thought the return on Jackson was fair market value - good pitching prospect, kill salary, get back MLB help that will result in the same draft pick compensation.

I understand that you cannot simply translate Gio Gonzalez and Dan Hudson's success to the White Sox exactly as they have done, but if Williams isn't quite so trigger happy and is patient, perhaps making smaller moves instead of swinging for the fences at all turns, they may have had the pieces to acquire Cabrera or had the rotation depth to not have to deal for Jake Peavy (and then the subsequent set of injuries) and then having the young talent within the system to allow you to trade a John Danks or Gavin Floyd to help restock the farm system.

The first place the Sox can cut salary at this point is the bullpen, and they can still do that. I imagine Crain and Thornton will pass through waivers and you can probably get 1-2 decent to good prospects for both of them (the Rangers gave up Hunter, Davis, Wieland, and Erland for Uehara and Adams, which is a 25-30 homer corner infielder and 3 mid to back of the rotation types or potential relievers themselves). That may leave Ohman as a possibility to be traded as well, and I imagine they can get a decent prospect back for him too. Then they can try any assortment of lefties from the minors while getting extended looks at Reed, Infante, Nunez, Carter, or whoever else they like. The bullpen is an especially important area, but because of the volatility of relievers, they can be built, torn down, and rebuilt within a year's time and still be relatively effective so long as the manager manages it properly and the team can find the arms to do so.

Beyond any of that, the one area that the White Sox have generally excelled beyond the average and perhaps among the best in the majors is with regards to finding and developing bullpen arms into excellent pitchers. It would make sense at this point, then, not to keep those expensive arms but to trade them and begin to develop more arms.

These won't happen this week. Probably won't happen at all to be perfectly frank. But, should they fall behind Minnesota, they should begin to make wholesale changes and start shedding some money. If someone claims any of Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, they absolutely need to let them go (they'll clear though). And if someone claims Danks, Quentin, or Floyd, try to work out a trade for some younger players. I believe that the only way Ozzie can save his job is to win this division, but he's too stubborn to make the necessary changes. Thus, I think the only way Williams can save his job (or save a position within the organization) is to cut as many losses as possible. And really, Williams isn't a bad guy to have in the organization. He just shouldn't be running the organization anymore.

Edited by witesoxfan

Agreed. Get what you can for everyone in the pen not named Sale/Santos.

To imagine anyone would claim Peavy/Rios/Dunn...no way. In fact, I'd say at this point we're better with Peavy for 2012 if we have any possibility of competing, because there's a 75% chance he can finally rebound and give us one very good complete season (and questions are starting to multiple about Humber's viability going forward).

It all rests with Buehrle. If there's no way to bring him back, you almost have to start saying goodbye to AJ, Danks, Quentin and really restocking the entire organization

If Buehrle wants to come back, then you have to scramble to keep Danks/Quentin for 2012....and cut salary to $110-115. Not easy at all.

At this point, unless there's a clear managerial change, you'd have to imagine Buehrle would want to part ways with the Sox.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:40 AM)
Agreed. Get what you can for everyone in the pen not named Sale/Santos.

To imagine anyone would claim Peavy/Rios/Dunn...no way. In fact, I'd say at this point we're better with Peavy for 2012 if we have any possibility of competing, because there's a 75% chance he can finally rebound and give us one very good complete season (and questions are starting to multiple about Humber's viability going forward).

It all rests with Buehrle. If there's no way to bring him back, you almost have to start saying goodbye to AJ, Danks, Quentin and really restocking the entire organization

If Buehrle wants to come back, then you have to scramble to keep Danks/Quentin for 2012....and cut salary to $110-115. Not easy at all.

At this point, unless there's a clear managerial change, you'd have to imagine Buehrle would want to part ways with the Sox.

I imagine the White Sox have lost far too much money and have seen far too disastrous of a season to commit anywhere near that amount to the payroll for next year. It'll be closer to $90-95 mill, and they'll still be losing money.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 2, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)

AL - I like Texas as well.

NL - Pittsburgh. I grew up a Pirates fan, but I haven't had a reason to cheer for them (except when they play the Cubs) in almost 20 years. I don't know if they can pull off a division win, but a winning season looks promising.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 05:15 AM)
I imagine the White Sox have lost far too much money and have seen far too disastrous of a season to commit anywhere near that amount to the payroll for next year. It'll be closer to $90-95 mill, and they'll still be losing money.

If that really is the case, the cost-benefit analysis of possibly winning the division VERSUS white-flagging it to get the best possible return for Danks/Floyd/Quentin/Buehrle/Thornton/Pierre/AJ/Ohman/Frasor/Crain/Konerko should have been decided by Reinsdorf. Probably it was.

Because if winning the division was the only possible way to maintain even a $105-115 million dollar payroll, statistical probability should have told them to start the savings process ASAP (and they've cut about $10 million with Jackson and Teahen)....

If it was KW arguing for his job, then maybe it is best that we bring in someone else to do whatever they can to fix it in the offseason.

There's at least 10 players on that list that could be on the way out, and possibly Alexei Ramirez or Beckham as well (change of scenery move, although it would be insane to sell so low without at least trying to pair him with a new manager and hitting coach).

And if Buehrle or Konerko is claimed and traded, probably they both should go and deal with all the pain in one fell swoop. It wouldn't be fair to either one to keep them around for mass rebuild at this point in their careers.

The only untouchables (or untradeables, is more like it) right now:

Ramirez ???

Santos

Sale

Beckham ???

Dunn

Rios

Peavy

Humber

Viciedo

Zach Stewart

Addison Reed

Trading Humber now, it's too late....we have to hold onto him and hope he can at least be a productive back-end starter and eat innings. And possibly shut him down...if it becomes necessary with his "hitting a wall" issue in the 5th-6th-7th innings.

Morel should be given one more shot to win/keep the position over the rest of the season and early 2012.

If we're really going to be down at that $90-95 million mark, then the math beyond Peavy/Dunn/Rios simply won't add up.

It will be very interesting. The next 8 months will decide the next 5 years of White Sox baseball. Manager, GM, hitting coach, everything is up for grabs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
If that really is the case, the cost-benefit analysis of possibly winning the division VERSUS white-flagging it to get the best possible return for Danks/Floyd/Quentin/Buehrle/Thornton/Pierre/AJ/Ohman/Frasor/Crain/Konerko should have been decided by Reinsdorf. Probably it was.

Why?

The GM is supposedly like the CEO in this situation right? The owner sets the parameters for how much he's willing to spend/lose, and the GM makes the call on players, managers, etc.?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 3, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/...nDepth/26116801

Ozzie is IN, maybe OUT?

This is the headline MLB video/story about Guillen right now at yahoosports, at least the baseball page.

Seems to me from his reaction to the first question that now he wants an extension beyond 2012. LOL, he is more likely to get a kick in the ass on the way out the door when we deal him to the Marlins in the offseason for a bag of baseballs. Good luck Ozzie, your time has run out here in Chicago. I really liked your fire and personality as a manager but your decision making, pigheadedness and family dramatics led to your demise. Thanks for 2005, now beat it.