Gamethread: White Sox vs Angels

Kyyle23

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not ready to say we can't contend next year just cause Rios and Dunn are on the roster. The biggest concern though is the gigantic public relations issue the Sox easily might face this offseason if Buehrle leaves and fan favorites like Quentin/Danks are traded just to ease payroll concerns while fan "non-favorites" like Dunn and Rios stay on the team.

So I just had to post after watching this on TV at the gym tonight.

This performance thus far has been the epitome of the 2011 White Sox Season.

We have seen the following -

1. Bad fielding by Juan Pierre

2. Bad fielding by Alex Rios

3. Adam Dunn, one of the most prolific long flyball hitters of the last decade, hit into another crushing double play.

4. Bad luck - two up-the-middle rockets killed by the mound in the same inning.

5. A terrible decision to attempt bunting by De Aza after he had got a hit in his previous at bat, when we already had one out in the inning. This wasn't crucial but we just gave away a strike for no apparent reason.

6. Solid, but unspectacular solid pitching. The type of pitching you should win games with.

7. And as I type this, horrific baserunning by Flowers.

It's only the 7th inning!

Perfect, the White Sox suck and at least posters are all simultaneously wondering if maybe Rios/Dunn/Peavy can be involved in a hunting accident, lol.

Fitting, though.

I'm about ready to send good 'ol boys Harrelson and Beckham with them on that trip, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:57 PM)
Applaud nothing, that was a terrible decision

It wasn't too bad of a choice, obviously it was out of the ordinary, but high chopper he was already rounding 2nd when the infielder got rid of the ball so might as well try.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
It wasn't too bad of a choice, obviously it was out of the ordinary, but high chopper he was already rounding 2nd when the infielder got rid of the ball so might as well try.

He's a catcher, and getting to third base with 2 outs isn't all that important.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
I'm not ready to say we can't contend next year just cause Rios and Dunn are on the roster. The biggest concern though is the gigantic public relations issue the Sox easily might face this offseason if Buehrle leaves and fan favorites like Quentin/Danks are traded just to ease payroll concerns while fan "non-favorites" like Dunn and Rios stay on the team.

I think trying a new hitting coach wouldn't hurt either.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

Except he was the tying run there in the late innings and the advantage of being at 3rd base with two outs isn't significant.

Maybe Santana could throw another pitch in the dirt, but that's not enough of a justification to take the risk.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:56 PM)
1.) We can't contend with Dunn and Rios. So we are in for a long season again next year.

2.) People that think Dunn can rebound ... well we have no argument against you cause he can suck and suck and you can always say, "He'll turn it around."

It's like people who this year said "it's early" all year long. Hell a lot of people think we're still in the race cause "there's time." It'll finally run out and then the word will be wait til next year when Dunn and Rios return to form. At some point you have to accept facts: Dunn and Rios are done.

It's almost like you have never heard of Adam Dunn before this season and this is the first you've seen him. If you want to believe he will be a .160 hitter with about 15 HR each of the next 3 years, then that's fine, I'll be sure to buy you some more coloring books and crayons for X-mas then.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
Perfect, the White Sox suck and at least posters are all simultaneously wondering if maybe Rios/Dunn/Peavy can be involved in a hunting accident, lol.

Fitting, though.

I'm about ready to send good 'ol boys Harrelson and Beckham with them on that trip, too.

Hahahaha ya we all wish they got attacked by a grizzly bear.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
I think trying a new hitting coach wouldn't hurt either.

And even that won't matter much in the "doomsday" scenario described.

About the only thing that would be worse from a fan standpoint would be losing Buehrle AND Konerko in one offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 03:59 AM)

But having automatic outs in Rios in center and Dunn at DH are automatic outs at terribly important spots in the order. These guys will open April batting in the middle of the order.

You have to figure third base and catcher won't light the world on fire hitting wise either, so that's four slots of bad hitting and automatically we cannot win the division. Hopefully Beckham will get it together and that won't be five sub par slots of hitters.