Hurricane Irene & the hurricane season

G&T

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man's working in NJ/NY currently, staying right on the Hudson River.

He's pretty much going to spend the weekend indoors in the apartment his company are renting by the sounds of it. Hopefully it dies down enough by the time it reaches that area on Sunday.

A few years ago this storm would have spun west and nailed Jim. Hurricanes are not fun. And they have to give them tougher names. I was in Hurricane Dolly. WTF? Who is going to run away from a Dolly? This should be Hurricane Kill Your f***ing Ass.

Having lived on the Outer Banks for five years before I went into the Coast Guard, I was around for many hurricane threats. Oddly enough, the only time I was there for a direct hit by a major hurricane was when I was visting my parents when Hurricane Isabel hit. It was pretty wild. The wind was blowing around 100 mph sustained for well over an hour.

I talked to my parents last night, and they're not leaving (very few residents actually leave, mainly because it's very difficult to get back). Their house is about 3/4 mile from the ocean, so there's no real threat of water from the ocean. Wind damage and flying debris are the main concerns.

It's funny to watch the newscasters and weathermen who travel to the places where a hurricane is supposed to hit. They're out on the beach two days ahead of time while behind them people are sunbathing and fishing. During Hurricane Isabel, one of the local restaurants put on their marquee "Jim Cantore - Emmy for Best Drama". Remember he was the one who flipped out during the lightning strikes in the blizzard.

I'm not trying to downplay the severity of the hurricane. There will be a lot of damage. I don't know if it's the same in other hurricane -prone areas, but residents of the Outer Banks take precautions, then they sit tight and ride it out. Their mentality is whatever will happen will happen.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:30 AM)
A few years ago this storm would have spun west and nailed Jim. Hurricanes are not fun. And they have to give them tougher names. I was in Hurricane Dolly. WTF? Who is going to run away from a Dolly? This should be Hurricane Kill Your f***ing Ass.

I agree with that. I've been through a Hurricane Emily, a Hurricane Bob, and a Hurricane Isabel. It's interesting though, after a major hurricane does a lot of damage, that name seems different. Katrina, Hugo, Andrew.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
Wow, I can't remember seeing a hurricane that made it that far north and still packed tropical storm-force winds. It still seems to register high winds all the way to Greenland, according to their predictions.

That's entirely because the eye forecast takes it right offshore.

If it gets onshore a little more that would weaken it a lot.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 05:12 AM)
My old man's working in NJ/NY currently, staying right on the Hudson River.

He's pretty much going to spend the weekend indoors in the apartment his company are renting by the sounds of it. Hopefully it dies down enough by the time it reaches that area on Sunday.

The big issue is going to be flooding from the storm surge if it takes the current track. The Storm Surge is generally proportional to the width of the storm and this one is a big, wide storm. That'll push a lot of water up into the rivers and streams that feed into the ocean.

How high above river level are we talking? If it's 10 feet or less, I'd be out of there. If it's several tens of feet above, then you're out of the flood zone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
That's entirely because the eye forecast takes it right offshore.

If it gets onshore a little more that would weaken it a lot.

Yeah I figured, it looks like the perfect skid - just offshore enough to keep powerful, but close enough to do lots of damage for a long ways. Not a good combo. I wonder if a hurricane/tropical storm has ever actually made it to Greenland while still packing tropical-level winds like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
Yeah I figured, it looks like the perfect skid - just offshore enough to keep powerful, but close enough to do lots of damage for a long ways. Not a good combo. I wonder if a hurricane/tropical storm has ever actually made it to Greenland while still packing tropical-level winds like that.

It would have to be moving really, really fast to maintain power.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
It would have to be moving really, really fast to maintain power.

Typically when a storm makes that north-northeast turn it's forward speed increases. Then it hits the colder water north of the Gulf Stream and it begins weakening rather quickly. I know there have been storms to hit in the Canadian Maritimes, but they are sometimes extra-tropical at that point, meaning they still pack a punch but have lost their tropical characteristics. And, they are usually moving very fast (30+ mph).

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Typically when a storm makes that north-northeast turn it's forward speed increases. Then it hits the colder water north of the Gulf Stream and it begins weakening rather quickly. I know there have been storms to hit in the Canadian Maritimes, but they are sometimes extra-tropical at that point, meaning they still pack a punch but have lost their tropical characteristics. And, they are usually moving very fast (30+ mph).

yeah they can start moving when they hit the jet stream, but they have to have an extra kick to not fall apart when they hit the colder N Atlantic waters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
yeah they can start moving when they hit the jet stream, but they have to have an extra kick to not fall apart when they hit the colder N Atlantic waters.

Yeah, the cold water quickly takes the power out of the storms. I was looking around to see if a true hurricane ever hit Greenland, but I haven't found anything yet. Most storms that made "landfall" were extratropical by then.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah, the cold water quickly takes the power out of the storms. I was looking around to see if a true hurricane ever hit Greenland, but I haven't found anything yet. Most storms that made "landfall" were extratropical by then.

I don't remember Greenland, but it seems like Newfoundland sticks in my mind as being a place that was hit.