9/11 playoffs

danman31

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
As somebody who has never seen either guy, I wonder this:

Are Leesman and Shirek good enough to pitch in the Sox rotation in a couple of years?

winning baseball?

Leesman can be studly when his control is good. Shirek is probably best suited as a swingman/long reliever.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
As somebody who has never seen either guy, I wonder this:

Are Leesman and Shirek good enough to pitch in the Sox rotation in a couple of years?

winning baseball?

About Shirek... It was a bit of a surprise that they put him back to starting again. All indications the past couple seasons have been that he tires out as the season goes on, and that he really doesn't have a solid 3rd pitch. He's also got a fairly high-effort delivery, but can hit mid-90's with the fastball despite not being a big guy. Does have good sink on his pitches, draws a lot of ground balls. Was actually a very highly sought-after guy in his early college years, but had a bad season (on and off field) and the Sox picked him up as a "bargain" high risk, high ceiling type pick in the draft. Seems to profile as a reliever to me, but the Sox seem to think he may be able to keep starting, so we'll see.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 11, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
How? I thought he would have had to have been on the 25-man roster before Sept 1st to be eligible? No?

If he was part of the organization on 8/31, he is eligible to join parent team for playoffs.