Hawk signs a 4 yr deal..

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy Hawk if the team is playing well, otherwise he gets too quiet. He also incredibly repetitive and the "can of corn" drives me nuts sometimes. Still, he's so incredibly White Sox-biased that I just don't worry much about all the repetitiveness. Home bias is SO importan t to me and I don't think any replacement would be able to beat that currently.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
I just think you could have a Hawk soundboard every game and push buttons since he never says anything new or bring anything to an individual game outside of his homerism.

I don't think a new voice on TV would of been a bad thing.

I advocated the soundboard years ago, and I agree.

People are just so used to him now that they are afraid to lose him and don't know what a game would be like with a non-gimmick, non-complete homer announcer. And I'm not talking homer like rooting for your team, I'm talking about the constant b****ing about the umpires and where was that pitch every 6 pitches.

Soundboard would get it done at this point, have Stone control it. I mean he's basically a slightly upgraded version of Santo, really.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
...in the booth.

Ugh. I've really grown to dislike Hawk, he's just so irritating and he has no rhythm with Stone.

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the time its stones fault. I find myself understanding where hawk was going, and wondering why stone said what he did. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of hawk. I just feel that stone lacks some understanding - he probably hasn't listened to hawk for as many years as most of us. So who is to blame? Both? Neither? The person who decided that they would make a good team?

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
Steve Stone, who has another three years left on his contract (IIRC), has had the rather unique opportunity of partnering with not one but two legendary Chicago broadcasters late in their respective broadcasting careers in Hawk, and then of course, the one and only, Harry Caray.
e

Harry should have never been forced to leave...going to the Cubs changed the baseball landscape in this city.

One in the line of many epic blunders by current ownership

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Not to mention, I doubt there has ever been a biggest White Sox fan on this planet.

Never been a bigger brown noser that's for sure.

The only thing I find entertaining about the Hawkeroo is when Stone gives him those Grand Canyon size moments of pause when he says something off the wall which by the way he's been doing with increased frequency.

Edited by mcgrad70

Hawk pisses me off sometimes, but I do love him. I love that I know what he's going to say before he says it. My buddy and I have the game on and we say what he's going to say seconds before he says it and our wives freak out. His umpire criticism bothers me, his looking the other way bothers me. He was quite critical when he was a Red Sox announcer, but he loves the Sox. Would anyone really prefer a guy like Len Kasper?

I'm glad he's going to be here, but it really wasn't news. He'll announce the Sox as long as he's physically capable doing it. He's stated it many times and they aren't going to fire him.

Edited by Dick Allen