Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Haha man I was pissed....

I still stand by the fact that I think they should have interviewed more people before deciding on Ventura. He's worked out amazingly, but still a horrible hiring process that confused and angered the fanbase.

He's proven you need no experience at all. Sandberg should be pissed at teams for not hiring him as well. I heard Sandberg is not as sharp or smart as Robin, though, from somebody who knows both of them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Who? I don't remember that much outrage. Most people wanted somebody with experience, but I sure didn't want some of the coaches whose names were tossed out there like martinez and Alomar. If Sox weren't going to go with a guy like Francona, Robin was as good as anybody. It did seem like Robin was going to be a Jacque Vaughn type hire, though. A guy to manage the team through rebuilding. The Sox didn't go that way fortunately, instead keeping most of the main players. Of course nobody wanted Dunn, Rios or Peavy in trades.

There was a ton of outrage.

As sox fans we were all angry at the organization at the time of this thread but the overreaction here was pretty comical.

I also like bmags 1st post in this thread, I obviously know what he was referring to but it's funny how that has worked out.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
I don't think there was a ton of outrage at the hire, but moreso at the hiring process. Honestly, it was a very awful awful process that no one can defend. KW lucked out. And I'm a huge KW fan, but just terrible.

Agree that it's a bad hiring process. Disagree with the bolded. There was probably a fair amount of character evaluation that led KW to believe that Ventura was a good clubhouse fit, and probably a lot of statistical analysis to show that the rest of a manager's job is relatively unimportant. That's not luck, that's good work leading up to the interviews.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Agree that it's a bad hiring process. Disagree with the bolded. There was probably a fair amount of character evaluation that led KW to believe that Ventura was a good clubhouse fit, and probably a lot of statistical analysis to show that the rest of a manager's job is relatively unimportant. That's not luck, that's good work leading up to the interviews.

And the thing is, no one else hired those guys either...there very well could be something we don't know that is known in industry circles...or it could just have not been their time.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Man I really cant believe that people are negative on this move. Most people have assumed that Robin would be a hot coaching option as soon as he decided that he wanted to coach. The fact that the Sox were actually able to convince him to coach is pretty impressive.

Im not sure what experience has to do with coaching baseball. This isnt football where you call plays, its baseball and Im pretty sure that I could program a computer to make better decisions than Ozzie.

"IF A stats against LHP > B stats against LHP replace B with A."

Robin is exactly the opposite of Ozzie, which is exactly what this team needs. This is one of the few hires that Id actually be interested in.

It really isnt difficult to be a baseball manager, and its almost impossible to be worse than Ozzie "I make the line ups" Guillen.

I could go back and read this thread all day :)

Soxbadger the voice of reason. Post #63

Man I really cant believe that people are negative on this move. Most people have assumed that Robin would be a hot coaching option as soon as he decided that he wanted to coach. The fact that the Sox were actually able to convince him to coach is pretty impressive.

Im not sure what experience has to do with coaching baseball. This isnt football where you call plays, its baseball and Im pretty sure that I could program a computer to make better decisions than Ozzie.

"IF A stats against LHP > B stats against LHP replace B with A."

Robin is exactly the opposite of Ozzie, which is exactly what this team needs. This is one of the few hires that Id actually be interested in.

It really isnt difficult to be a baseball manager, and its almost impossible to be worse than Ozzie "I make the line ups" Guillen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)
Steve,

NBA and MLB are apples and oranges. Im pretty sure that Robin can read stat sheets and make better decisions than Ozzie.

Im pretty sure that in a year or 2 people are going to wonder why they ever questioned Robin. The guy is legit, he just never wanted to be a coach before, otherwise hed have a ton of useless experience.

This was better though.

I had to fight a lot of people in this thread. I really believed in Ventura and even I have to admit I did not expect this much of a turnaround. In my head I felt that Ozzie was costing the Sox about 5-10 games a season, so I figured if Ventura was just neutral the Sox would do a lot better.

This isn't as bad as 2005 when people wanted Konerko off the team midseason because he was selfish and only cared about hitting homeruns. I remember one reaction by I think a poster called soxfan1 or something where konerko popped out and he posted GET OFF MY TEAM. Its one of those odd things where I know I'll never forget reading that and being flabbergasted.

At least with Ventura you can understand why people would be upset over hiring some guy with no experience.

QUOTE (TheHammer @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
This isn't as bad as 2005 when people wanted Konerko off the team midseason because he was selfish and only cared about hitting homeruns. I remember one reaction by I think a poster called soxfan1 or something where konerko popped out and he posted GET OFF MY TEAM. Its one of those odd things where I know I'll never forget reading that and being flabbergasted.

At least with Ventura you can understand why people would be upset over hiring some guy with no experience.

Ugh. I remember when people turned on Paulie. It made me ill. Even moreso than the fans' rips of some of my faves: Jenks, Wise, Pods, Pierre, Dye.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Nokona @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Do you people ever not act like a bunch of children?

Robin hasn't left the game, he's been doing various announcing jobs all over the place, most prominently at the CWS.

He's very intelligent, very personable, and was a great ball player.

Calm the f*** down.

:headbang

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
People are freaking out because they're afraid Robin might bunt in the wrong situation, pull a pitcher too late, etc. Well if those were the main problems we had last year then we wouldn't have finished where we did. And we ALL know that Davey Martinez would have never made a bad move, or at least if he did, he wouldn't get criticized much at all over the course of a season because he's so smart and Maddon and Rays way and fap fap *splurt*....

ATM the players don't seem to give a s*** and the last manager was a distraction that made things even worse. Players that needed to play weren't even put in the lineup. Robin is as good a bet as anyone to remedy those areas, and if he does that, I really don't care if he's a poor in-game manager at first because we'll still end up being a much better team than we've been.

holy s*** this guy is f***ing brilliant

I remember, not sure if on here or elsewhere, that I really wanted Francona and then Bobby Valentine as a consolation prize. Remember reading twitter at the college parking lot and seeing Robin got the nod, and being all "what the f*ck, dude!?".

Robin has his faults, yes, but he keeps the place positive, the "give 'em hell" White Sox supposedly never concede defeat or let a blown game mentally disable them, which is awesome.

Way to early to tell for the long term, but so far Robin has been a great hire.