Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scotgregor Scot Gregor

Ventura on Dunn, Rios, Beckham: "They need a break. I'm not sticking a bad year on any guy coming into spring training"

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

Ventura on fixing Dunn, Rios and Beckham: Right now they just need a break. ... I don't think it's anything I can do right away.

scotgregor Scot Gregor

Ventura still sorting through candidates for bench coach, hitting coach, 3B coach

whitesox Chicago White Sox

Ventura: “I’ll be honest and upfront. Every player is accountable. I don’t change from day-to-day, they’ll know what to expect.”

whitesox Chicago White Sox

Ventura: “As a player it’s hard to sit there & think you’re going to be a manager. But later in my career, I felt confident I could do it.”

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
I'm so glad The Score decided to air a Doug Buffone rant instead of a press conference introducing the new White Sox Manager. Way to go, guys.

You didn't miss anything. There was literally nothing new broken in those 11 minutes that wasn't said before in the call-ins on the radio.

ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

Kenny Williams says that Harold Baines will be working more with hitters on the mental side of the game.

scotgregor Scot Gregor

GM Kenny Williams said #WhiteSox will "retool" in 2012, not "rebuild."

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Kenny did consider Konerko as a player/manager but never talked to him about it. Wanted Konerko just to focus on playing

CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen

Robin on Ozzie era: I enjoyed it as much as anybody else

ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla

Coaching staff to be finalized in a day or two. Parent expected as bench coach, McEwing at third base.

Can't wait to read Kenny's autobiography some years down the line after Jerry has passed on and Kenny is out of baseball to find out what REALLY happened in the 2011 off-season because nothing is at all what it seems. Something is fishy and when Robin quits or is fire in 2 years time that will only confirm it.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
I don't think I like this direction they seem to be going in with the hitting coaches. Having three people telling our hitters what to do at one time is not a good thing, in my opinion.

They certainly would have a hard time getting our hitters to perform worse...

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Can't wait to read Kenny's autobiography some years down the line after Jerry has passed on and Kenny is out of baseball to find out what REALLY happened in the 2011 off-season because nothing is at all what it seems. Something is fishy and when Robin quits or is fire in 2 years time that will only confirm it.

Why? Think back to Ozzie's staff. What was any different? It was a bunch of guys with organizational connections and no major league coaching experience, if any experience at all. What had Harold Baines done before the Sox?

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm happy it didn't happen, as I would hate to eventually dislike my favorite Sox player of all time

Great post. Glad to see you admitted that. Refreshing post.

That is the danger of hiring a former player. It's why the Royals wouldn't let Brett or White ever manage.

Ventura will be hated at some point just as Ozzie is despised.

That is a given.

Hopefully he'll win a WS though as that will give him some love no matter what. But it will end badly. It almost always does.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
That is the danger of hiring a former player. It's why the Royals wouldn't let Brett or White ever manage.

Ventura will be hated at some point just as Ozzie is despised.

That is a given.

Hopefully he'll win a WS though as that will give him some love no matter what. But it will end badly. It almost always does.

You're really overplaying the hatred angle. Even the biggest Ozzie haters around will be indifferent to him within a matter of months if not weeks. All is forgotten with time.