Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
FWIW ;) The cross country coach for one of our other middle schools is from Chicago and a White Sox fan. Imagine that, two guys a few miles from the Mexico border, chatting Sox baseball. Last season we were both wearing Sox caps at a race. Anyway, we always talk a little baseball while our teams are running. He likes the hiring. Thinks Robin will manage more conservatively and add some professionalism and a working harder ethos to the organization.

So, when does he get his chance at managing the Sox?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF Ventura gets an experienced bench coach and hires Frank Thomas as hitting coach (pleaZZZE...lol)) won't he be pretty well set up. Definitely would help him with his on the job training . lol! With Baines and Cooper in place, seems like this could work.

I liked Ventura as a player. Have to give him a chance and cheer him on.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
I know that's what he insinuated, but it was more like a "every manager has to go at some point." Completely PC. He's never going to call someone out, especially his new manager, even if it were Satan himself.

In Konerko-speak, that is calling out the manager. Some guys don't need to drop an F bomb to get their point accross.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Ryan raised/s longhorn steer for a hobby. He probably could still beat up most 26 year old baseball players.

True.

You just have to wonder how smart a guy Robin Ventura is to charge Nolan Ryan.

I'm not flaming. I know nothing about him personally and wish him well as our skipper, but he deserves all the ridicule he gets for that fight.

He got owned.

QUOTE (Cali @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I've calmed down a bit, but I plan on having a s***-fit once it's announced who hired Martinez (probably the Red Sox, ugh)

Don't rule out DeMarlo Hale, but, in a town like Boston....well, we shall see if they have the cojones to hire an African-American manager.

In the 70's or 80's, it would have been unthinkable. That team was always famous for having the fewest black players of any team in the majors. I remember Ellis Burks having some comments about this from his playing days there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
True.

You just have to wonder how smart a guy Robin Ventura is to charge Nolan Ryan.

I'm not flaming. I know nothing about him personally and wish him well as our skipper, but he deserves all the ridicule he gets for that fight.

He got owned.

He knew he was going to lose, but he had to do it anyway to defend himself and his teammates. I recall an interview where he said that he was running to the mound thinking, "What am I doing?" the whole time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 05:03 PM)
He knew he was going to lose, but he had to do it anyway to defend himself and his teammates. I recall an interview where he said that he was running to the mound thinking, "What am I doing?" the whole time.

Heat of the moment. Got pissed and while running he probably realized "What am I doing?". But at that point you have to finish it. Kinda wish that he would be remember for more than this..but he probably gets a good laugh at this. Maybe Ryan and Ventura can meet up in the playoffs in the near future...well hopefully..lol!

I watched the video again and saw Guillen in there. Not doing much though.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)

The second article by Morrissey is pretty right on but the first article by Potash is horses***.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

Unless Ventura is some kind of baseball guru/genius and he doesn't strike me that way, how in the hell will he know how to handle a pitching staff and know who to bring in and all that?

If the Sox are truly thinking outside the box, I hope they give Coop the authority to make all the pitching moves.

Coop should revolutionaize the position of pitching coach and have the authority to make ALL the pitching calls including in-game decisions.

Let Ventura make out the lineups and decide when to hit and run and steal.

I wonder how closely he's followed other teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
Unless Ventura is some kind of baseball guru/genius and he doesn't strike me that way, how in the hell will he know how to handle a pitching staff and know who to bring in and all that?

If the Sox are truly thinking outside the box, I hope they give Coop the authority to make all the pitching moves.

Coop should revolutionaize the position of pitching coach and have the authority to make ALL the pitching calls including in-game decisions.

You simply can't have two managers. I'm sure Cooper will provide a tremendous amount of input, especially in spring training and the first half of the season, but Robin will learn quickly enough.

Cue Dick Allen response that Greg Walker should have been able to make out the line-ups and decide on pinch-hitters.

I like the hire. Robin is a true student of the game. I'm sure it was just a matter of getting Robin to commit to coming back to the game full time. He'll help our hitters next year regardless of who we hire as hitting coach. Plus, we have Coop for our pitching staff.

Assistant coaches, I would like Harold as bench coach & bring back Rock Raines. That or have Buddy Bell as bench coach.

Third base coach, Lance Johnson?.. Joe Crede as hitting coach. Any thoughts?

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 05:44 AM)
I like the hire. Robin is a true student of the game. I'm sure it was just a matter of getting Robin to commit to coming back to the game full time. He'll help our hitters next year regardless of who we hire as hitting coach. Plus, we have Coop for our pitching staff.

Assistant coaches, I would like Harold as bench coach & bring back Rock Raines. That or have Buddy Bell as bench coach.

Harold as bench coach is interesting. He's another quiet guy like Robin, but Harold has been in a dugout a long time as well. I guess I'd have nothing against that hire.

No on Crede as hitting coach.

Lance would be good to bring back; Crede too but not as hitting coach.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)

I don't think EVERY single coach on our staff should or has to have White Sox ties.

From everything I've read, Rock Raines and Razor Shines burned a lot of bridges and won't be welcomed back with open arms.

Lance Johnson would be a good base-running coach, although his "on point" style might not exactly be replicable. Presumably, Baines would return to 1B coaching duties.

Based on his health, I would doubt Crede would feel well enough to be around the game and standing up so much for 8-9 months a year. Maybe a spring training "advisor" like Ventura has been in the past.

That still leaves 3B, bench coach and hitting coach. Probably at least 2 of those guys will come from outside the organization (HOPEFULLY).

Edited by caulfield12

I am finding it amusing that folks in Florida are so excited that Ozzie is their new manager. World Series win, .500+ winning percentage, he's their salvation. We've run him out of town. And who did many of us here want? Francona. World Series winner, glitzy winning percentage that Boston is running out of town. Seems like fans want guys that recently had epic failures as their new manager. Because a "new team will fix 'em"™

Trademark™ used by permission of Don Cooper, all rights reserved.

I could go out on a limb right now and say there is no way the Sox will win another WS title with Don Cooper as their pitching coach. I think Don's a hell of a coach and if assistants made the HoF more regularly, he should probably be there. But it's so damn easy to say it won't work because only one team wins the WS.

And, if you are going to take another run with the same 25 man roster, wouldn't you go with a new manager that is 180 degrees from the last? We wanted a guy that will manage more from the book and less from his gut, I am going to see how he manages before passing judgement.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 06:45 AM)
And, if you are going to take another run with the same 25 man roster, wouldn't you go with a new manager that is 180 degrees from the last? We wanted a guy that will manage more from the book and less from his gut, I am going to see how he manages before passing judgement.

Steve Phillips addressed that when he was giving the Dave Martinez lacks presence interview, he said inevitiably, most teams hire the exact opposite when replacing a manager. Ozzie took over for Jerry Manuel. When Robin's tenure ends, look for a loudmouth to take over.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)

Here is a little secret. Ozzie had nothing to do with the pitching staff. He just did what Don Cooper told him to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
Here is a little secret. Ozzie had nothing to do with the pitching staff. He just did what Don Cooper told him to do.

You believe Ozzie didn't make the calls on relievers he put in?

Like Jenks? Santos? Thornton? Ohman? You think Coop made those calls on which pitchers to bring in in certain situations?

Coop decided to pitch the starters the whole game in the postseason?

Give me a break.

I'm talking about Cooper making all calls on which pitchers to use and when to demote a closer, etc.

Ozzie is a lot smarter than you guys give him credit for as his ring proves.

It's all on you right now to show us your credibility.

Yes or no. Did Cooper make all the pitching calls for Ozzie?

Anxious to see the answer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 8, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)

How is running out to the mound to get the s*** beat out of you by badass Nolan Ryan defending "his teammates."

Nolan Ryan is going to hit whoever the f*** he wants to hit.

He's Nolan Ryan.

Defending himself? I guess.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
How is running out to the mound to get the s*** beat out of you by badass Nolan Ryan defending "his teammates."

Nolan Ryan is going to hit whoever the f*** he wants to hit.

He's Nolan Ryan.

Defending himself? I guess.

This is so very ignorant.