Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
You believe Ozzie didn't make the calls on relievers he put in?

Like Jenks? Santos? Thornton? Ohman? You think Coop made those calls on which pitchers to bring in in certain situations?

Coop decided to pitch the starters the whole game in the postseason?

Give me a break.

I'm talking about Cooper making all calls on which pitchers to use and when to demote a closer, etc.

Ozzie is a lot smarter than you guys give him credit for as his ring proves.

It's all on you right now to show us your credibility.

Yes or no. Did Cooper make all the pitching calls for Ozzie?

Anxious to see the answer.

Ozzie might have learned after some years, but yes, I think it was about 99.44% Cooper when it came to the pitching staff.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
Ozzie might have learned after some years, but yes, I think it was about 99.44% Cooper when it came to the pitching staff.

I think you are totally wrong on this one.

Cooper didn't decide when to bring in relief pitchers in games.

If you can prove that one you are the smartest baseball mind of all time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)

I would be glad i it was all Ozzie because he certainly sucked at it.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Are you suggesting then if it was Coop, he sucked at it?

If it was coops fault that ty never had anyone up in the 6th inning for Humber and peavy in June and July, then yeah...hed get some serious blame. That was the most obvious mistake in the pitching staff all season.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 09:08 PM)
Did anyone see this? Please tell me this was a joke: Konerko Considered for Player/Manager

I thought they would also give consideration to Omar Vizquel as a player/manager as well, but apparently he's too loyal to Ozzie to stick around.

It would have been interesting. Like Alomar Jr., he has a lot of the same qualities you look for in a coach/manager.

As far as Konerko being able to push the likes of Dunn and Rios, forget it. Might as well name Jim Thome manager just to spite Ozzie...would have been about the same effect.

The White Sox's stunning hiring of Robin Ventura to replace Ozzie Guillen as manager Thursday came as a result of board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf instructing his general manager, Kenny Williams, "to think outside the box on this one - no retreads."

And how would Alomar Jr. or Dave Martinez been considered retreads?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
I thought they would also give consideration to Omar Vizquel as a player/manager as well, but apparently he's too loyal to Ozzie to stick around.

It would have been interesting. Like Alomar Jr., he has a lot of the same qualities you look for in a coach/manager.

As far as Konerko being able to push the likes of Dunn and Rios, forget it. Might as well name Jim Thome manager just to spite Ozzie...would have been about the same effect.

The White Sox's stunning hiring of Robin Ventura to replace Ozzie Guillen as manager Thursday came as a result of board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf instructing his general manager, Kenny Williams, "to think outside the box on this one - no retreads."

And how would Alomar Jr. or Dave Martinez been considered retreads?

Player/Manager would not be a very good idea in any case, but if they were going to go that route with the personnel they currently have I'd have to go with AJ over Konerko, Vizquel, or any other current Sox player.

But this whole idea of considering Konerko (or any player/manager) to manage the 2012 Sox is a joke.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
I have really warmed up to this hiring. Ventura is an incredible leader and if he's anything like he was as a player, the team will perform well next year. Hopefully he does because this hasn't been an AL team since 2006.

2008, when Quentin and Ramirez were big-time threats, they at least resembled an offensive force for most of that season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)

With a quick search, I can't find it, but I know it has been said in the past that Cooper manages the pitching.

If it's true that one of the options was to make Konerko a player/manager, then that's very disappointing. I'm not quite sure what's going on with JR and Kenny right now, but it seems like a lot of the decision making is being made for the wrong reasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
If it's true that one of the options was to make Konerko a player/manager, then that's very disappointing. I'm not quite sure what's going on with JR and Kenny right now, but it seems like a lot of the decision making is being made for the wrong reasons.

Ya, the thought of Konerko being a player/manager just makes me cringe.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)

The report goes that JR told Kenny to make a normal list and an "outside of the box" list. Both Robin and Paul were on the later.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm totally OK with KW hiring a Yes-man. FO and on-field management being on the same page is way more important than some kind of ego-driven micromanager.

Ventura won't be a "Yes-man" it's not in his personality.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
I think it would be awesome.

If Paulie is in the field, then how does he call for a pitcher to warmup? Or to replace a pitcher?

I also think there would be a ton of jealousy/fighting that goes on over Paulie being in that position.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
If Paulie is in the field, then how does he call for a pitcher to warmup? Or to replace a pitcher?

I also think there would be a ton of jealousy/fighting that goes on over Paulie being in that position.

Yeah it seems like an awful idea.