Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

Collected my posts...

First, I was confused.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
...the f***?

Then, I was was a conspiracy theorist.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
I feel like this is Kenny setting up a 90's Sox Reunion and just not inviting Walker or Ozzie to spite them.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Ray Durham should be named bench coach (take over Cora's role).

Black Jack can be the bullpen coach.

Harold first base coach.

Frank is the hitting coach.

Name Valentin the 3rd base coach.

It's a big 90's reunion with Ozzie not invited.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
"Come see all your favorite players manage together!

Except Ozzie, f*** that guy."

Then, I was accepting.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
I'm not as mad as I thought, I wanted Robin to be Martinez's bench coach after all.

I think Robin can do it, I just want to know why Martinez and Alomar were all passed over.

Then, f*** Cowley.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:21 PM)
It's funny cause Cowley is a bad journalist.

This. Guys, its MLB manager. The decisions aren't hard with modern day stats ready 24/7, unless you're Ozzie. If he can help people, which he has enough baseball knowledge and seemingly-not-asshole persona that he probably can.

Is it the best hire? No. He would have been my fourth choice, but come on.

Then, the start of me and Greg disagreeing on everything. Except that Charlie Weis is fat.

Greg, I'm gonna apologize for the months of warring.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 01:55 AM)
Did Greg just say great column by Cowley?

I can write one with my "sources" just as easily. Cowley's a hack who only go to where he is by sucking up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 03:25 AM)
Scary? It's rather tame. Ozzie is scary.

He's a crappy journalist and his sources are always wrong. What makes them all of the sudden right? He spreads lies to get others fired or spreads their personal information. That's sleazy.

Cooper asked about an extension since his contract was up this year. Ozzie demanded one despite having a deal next year.

You apparently LOVE backstabbers. If this was the 1950's, Ozzie wouldn't be managing or allowed near Coop, but changing Ozzie's ethnicity, his ass would get kicked by Buerhle, Hawk, Stone, Paulie, Swisher, Cabrera, Lee, Tracey, Ordonez, A-Rod, Sean Penn, Joe West, KW, Garland, McCarthy, Thome, Morel, Teahen, etc. Oney's ass would get kicked, Ozney would fail in the Minors

Yeah, because assaulting people isn't ok.

You're seriously f***ing justifying assault to make Ozzie look cool.

I'd like to take back that West would do anything. f*** that guy.

Not sure what I was quoting...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
"Adam Dunn has just homered in 57 straight games."

Re: Greg saying Robin was stupid in Nolan fight.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 9, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
This is so very ignorant.

Options?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 10, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
Honestly, Paulie as manager would have been cool.

Quoting SS2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:48 PM)
Who gives a f*** if he is a good interview? Seriously, that is just a horrible thing to worry about for a manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Ugh. I remember when people turned on Paulie. It made me ill. Even moreso than the fans' rips of some of my faves: Jenks, Wise, Pods, Pierre, Dye.

Geez, Greg, don't say this too loud. You don't have to be every poor player's apologist.

By the by, Wise was just released by the Yankees. :ph34r:

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 06:23 AM)
Greg, it seems you're on the defend Addison Reed bandwagon now...

Any truth to that rumor?

I would say he's not there yet. Too many people on here still like Reed. Wait til he blows a few more saves or becomes real fat.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
I would say he's not there yet. Too many people on here still like Reed. Wait til he blows a few more saves or becomes real fat.

For a closer, "Blowing a few saves" really is where you draw the line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
For a closer, "Blowing a few saves" really is where you draw the line.

Every closer is going to blow saves. Look at what happened to Jenks. He was lights out for a while then began blowing saves, and his stock really spiraled after that. Reed hasn't shown himself to be a lights out closer, yet. Almost all of his saves have been exciting, and not in a good way. I like Reed, and hopefully he can be a more consistent closer. His saves to opportunities ratio isn't bad at all, and if you just looked at stats you'd say he's fine. But watching him is another story.

And the "get real fat" line was just a joke towards Jenks, as his weight was always a discussion on this board, especially after he blew a save.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Every closer is going to blow saves. Look at what happened to Jenks. He was lights out for a while then began blowing saves, and his stock really spiraled after that. Reed hasn't shown himself to be a lights out closer, yet. Almost all of his saves have been exciting, and not in a good way. I like Reed, and hopefully he can be a more consistent closer. His saves to opportunities ratio isn't bad at all, and if you just looked at stats you'd say he's fine. But watching him is another story.

And the "get real fat" line was just a joke towards Jenks, as his weight was always a discussion on this board, especially after he blew a save.

Yes, every closer will blow saves, but the point is they need to be few and far between, and preferably not in key situations against major rivals. And you also wind up needing to count games hwere the guy was pulled and someone else absorbed the blown save.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Yes, every closer will blow saves, but the point is they need to be few and far between, and preferably not in key situations against major rivals. And you also wind up needing to count games hwere the guy was pulled and someone else absorbed the blown save.

I agree 100%. My concern with Reed is that he's so close to blowing saves too often. I realize a save is a save, and you even hear people like Steve Stone say that a closer's ERA doesn't mean anything. I disagree with that lije of thinking because a high ERA shows that the pitcher gives up too many runs. I suppose a closer could have an ERA of 9.00 and not blow any saves if he always ends up in a situation where the team has more than a one run lead.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
There's few people that were spot on, including fathom.

'Real' should disable his account yesterday.

Was Real the one who said with all due respect, anyone who likes this hire doesn't know s*** about baseball?

That was my favorite post.

We all have zero experience coaching and managing in the major leagues, yet we all always point out the correct way to manage and coach. It seems crazy to think if a run of the mill message board poster knows all that needs to be known about managing, a guy with 2000 games played wouldn't know the first thing about it.

I could see if he had a personality that clashed, things like that, but experience was the reason the hire was panned. He had plenty of baseball experience.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Was Real the one who said with all due respect, anyone who likes this hire doesn't know s*** about baseball?

That was my favorite post.

We all have zero experience coaching and managing in the major leagues, yet we all always point out the correct way to manage and coach. It seems crazy to think if a run of the mill message board poster knows all that needs to be known about managing, a guy with 2000 games played wouldn't know the first thing about it.

I could see if he had a personality that clashed, things like that, but experience was the reason the hire was panned. He had plenty of baseball experience.

Yes

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:21 PM)
if you're a fan of this, you don't know s***, and i'm being as honest as i can be.

QUOTE (Real @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
his qualifications? you know his f***ing qualifications, don't sugar coat what you "know" to make the move seem less volatile, it's a s***ty move, let's be f***ing honest here and cut the bulls***

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
This is the most important part. Right now I am pissed beyond all belief. I have been this mad with the organization twice. Once with the Brandon Mccarthy deal, and once when they let Robin walk away by offering a joke of a contract. Maybe he will turn out OK, but if you really want Ventura to manage, make him the bench coach for a few years next to someone with at least some coaching experience. Or let him manage in the minors. Don't make him the manager from day one. This is just awful.

My reaction was dead wrong so far as well.

One can only guess that KW had very little to do with this.

The majority of our anger should be directed at Reinsdorf...if one is inclined to react immediately in that direction.

Obviously JR is the one who convinced Robin to do this...conversations had been going back and forth for a number of years about him taking a more active role in the organization. Obviously, most believed he'd have to "put in his time" before he would become manager.

But clearly he works well enough with Bell and KW, as well. Heck, it's not like you've ever heard of anyone not getting along with the guy, he's not a polarizing personality like Fisk or Black Jack.

fathom always is more level-headed...looking back, I was hopeful simply because Ozzie was no longer going to be the manager....moreso than being elated that Ventura was the pick

sort of middle of the road but not ripping Ventura or being oppposed to it

Im just glad the Sox are doing well.

I still can remember when this thread went up, it took a lot of restraint to keep myself from ripping a lot of the posters. But the great part about a message board is you cant runaway from your past statements. There are a few other threads that I laugh about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
I need to get pissed at my bank account.

It won't matter...You'll put a whole lot of money in there and then it will go on the disabled list, and you wont really know why you can't get your money out

I feel like everyone is giving Robin too much of the benefit of the doubt already in this thread. His team responded to him and done well so far, but in no way am I ready to call him a great manager. He still makes plenty of WTF decisions. This team went through a carnival the last two years, so just have a quiet calming presence in the dugout would lead to a turnaround in performance. This team also hasn't faced major adversity yet, so he hasn't had to deal with that.

I'm not trying to hate on Robin, and I think he could be a good one over time. But I don't think that four months proves that everyone's original opinion was 100% wrong.