LET'S MAKE A LIST OCTOBER '11 - FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES

knightni

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way...

I'm counting poker in sports movies.

I am not going to go back and redo my list, but I will put a plug in for a lesser-known movie called 'The Grand'. It is a comedy with a plot based on the World Series of Poker and characters who are based on actual poker players. On top of that, the end of the movie was unscripted, and the 'winner' in the movie was determined by having the characters actually play out the final table for real.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Ah, the Waterboy. That was Sandler's heyday. I know some people hate all of his work, but that earlier stuff was hilarious. It's sad that he's strayed so far away from that. And now I think I forgot to put Happy Gilmore on my list.

Aren't you lining up for the chance to see Sandler in drag?

Ah, the Waterboy. That was Sandler's heyday. I know some people hate all of his work, but that earlier stuff was hilarious. It's sad that he's strayed so far away from that. And now I think I forgot to put Happy Gilmore on my list.

I forgot all about Happy Gilmore. :angry:

I remembered The Waterboy but it didn't make my final cut.

It kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey. He had a stretch of awesome movies where he was the king of comedy, then suddenly he disappeared and started making some awful movies as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
Aren't you lining up for the chance to see Sandler in drag?

I knew that would be the first reply :lol:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I forgot all about Happy Gilmore. :angry:

I remembered The Waterboy but it didn't make my final cut.

The strange thing is that I would actually rank Happy Gilmore ahead of Waterboy, but I flat-out forgot about it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
It kind of reminds me of Jim Carrey. He had a stretch of awesome movies where he was the king of comedy, then suddenly he disappeared and started making some awful movies as well.

I agree, they follow a very similar pattern. The problem with both of them is that they tried to become serious actors. And while I think that Sandler actually has the talent to pull off a Robin Williams-esque career (I'm sure many people disagree), I don't think Carrey quite has it. They've both backed off of that route recently, although neither has gone back to their bread and butter. They are making comedies again, but those comedies are not aimed at the same audience as before. They seem to be going after family comedies now.

Edited by Milkman delivers

I've never heard of The Program. I'll have to check that one out. Neither Happy Gilmore or The Waterboy were on my list but would have been if I had thought of them. I'd have ranked Happy Gilmore higher of the two. Oh well. Mighty Ducks 2, bleech! No offense intended.