Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
He's earned much more than 1 year. I also don't buy all this retirement talk he throws out there.

So now he's Brett Favre? Great, now I have to hate him.

And we can't pick and choose what he really means and what he says all the time but doesn't mean. We have to take what he says at face value, or else we just hear only what we want to hear that helps our argument. It's the sort of thing greg did while defending Ozzie.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is still a slim chance that KW pulls off a trade in the next 24 hours to get loose of more salary... and if he does, I'd bet they call Mark and make a competitive offer, and get him. But as I've said for months, if they can't move enough salary in enough time, it won't happen.

I was wrong though, in that I really did think the Sox would manage to move at least some of Danks/Floyd/Quentin/Thornton by now, which is why I was optimistic about re-signing Buehrle. But apparently the Sox are not getting the offers they want for those players, so, here we are.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
But not market value, just so we are clear.

And I was doing some research for you since many have asked for links to quotes and you havent provided any of them.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-02...ily-guy-missing

Its stories like this that make me think less of Mark....

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-09...nt-mark-buehrle

Guy sounds like he really doesnt care about staying with the Sox.

http://blog.prorumors.com/2011/03/rumors/m...ent-after-2011/

On my phone, so I can't read it, but I'm going to guess it's fluff pieces. His other comments about retiring/being close to home/etc. are all still there. So perhaps that makes him even more of a hypocrite, in words and actions.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
On my phone, so I can't read it, but I'm going to guess it's fluff pieces. His other comments about retiring/being close to home/etc. are all still there. So perhaps that makes him even more of a hypocrite, in words and actions.

No, they are the pieces where you got most of your "ammo" for calling him a hypocrite. They are pieces where he expresses that he may retire because he doesnt know if he's in the Sox plans. There are even some ones in there talking about how much he misses his family when he's away that you can use to say that he's a hypocrite. Just trying to actually help people see the rest of the information that you are speaking about to generate your opinion of him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
No, they are the pieces where you got most of your "ammo" for calling him a hypocrite. They are pieces where he expresses that he may retire because he doesnt know if he's in the Sox plans. There are even some ones in there talking about how much he misses his family when he's away that you can use to say that he's a hypocrite. Just trying to actually help people see the rest of the information that you are speaking about to generate your opinion of him.

These things came out yearly, usually more than once. Everyone on this board knows it. So I doubt the articles you posted were the only ones available, as there should be at least a dozen more. And like I said, I don't care nearly enough to find them. Neither side is going to budge. Some think he's a hypocrite depending on where and how he signs, others do not. We'll have to agree to disagree. I feel like I'm looking at it subjectively, whereas I'm sure you think you're doing the same. There's no concrete answer to be found, so this will go back and forth as long as we let it.

I feel that he's definitely a hypocrite. You do not. Period.

Well, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or if anyone heard Cowley this morning on the radio. Basically, Mark is dissapointed that the Sox haven't been keeping contact with him. He doesn't feel like they really care. They basically told him to find his best offer and bring it to them. If they can do something, they will, but if not, thanks for the memories. He thought the Sox would be trying to convince him to stay throughout the process, and really they haven't tried to involve themselves at all.

Another thing, Cowley basically tipped off Ozzie sabotaging the team to prove a point to Kenny. In August, KW got in a fight with Rios, and then Ozzie. KW asks why is he still giving Rios most of the playing time when De Aza is up, and Ozzie asks why KW acquired him in the first place.

This is telling me that the only reason Ozzie played Rios is to prove that KW "sucks" as a GM and wanted to stick it to him instead of trying to win. Yes, KW did acquire Rios, but he also acquired De Aza and don't you think you owe it to your team to try to win for them. If I'm Konerko, I would demand a trade.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Well, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet or if anyone heard Cowley this morning on the radio. Basically, Mark is dissapointed that the Sox haven't been keeping contact with him. He doesn't feel like they really care. They basically told him to find his best offer and bring it to them. If they can do something, they will, but if not, thanks for the memories. He thought the Sox would be trying to convince him to stay throughout the process, and really they haven't tried to involve themselves at all.

Another thing, Cowley basically tipped off Ozzie sabotaging the team to prove a point to Kenny. In August, KW got in a fight with Rios, and then Ozzie. KW asks why is he still giving Rios most of the playing time when De Aza is up, and Ozzie asks why KW acquired him in the first place.

This is telling me that the only reason Ozzie played Rios is to prove that KW "sucks" as a GM and wanted to stick it to him instead of trying to win. Yes, KW did acquire Rios, but he also acquired De Aza and don't you think you owe it to your team to try to win for them. If I'm Konerko, I would demand a trade.

We got rid of the right guy when we shipped Guillen off to Florida. You can say a lot of things about Kenny, but the bottom line is that he wants to win. If Jay Cowardly is saying this, it doesn't say that Ozzie really wants to win.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)

Sounds like the chairman isn't getting involved this time, probably to save a buck and avoid the emotional involvement.

Bye bye Mark. Hello cheap era, White Sox.

Hopefully he won't sign with a Central Division team and go 6-0 versus the Sox every year with a no hitter or two thrown in there.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
These things came out yearly, usually more than once. Everyone on this board knows it. So I doubt the articles you posted were the only ones available, as there should be at least a dozen more. And like I said, I don't care nearly enough to find them. Neither side is going to budge. Some think he's a hypocrite depending on where and how he signs, others do not. We'll have to agree to disagree. I feel like I'm looking at it subjectively, whereas I'm sure you think you're doing the same. There's no concrete answer to be found, so this will go back and forth as long as we let it.

I feel that he's definitely a hypocrite. You do not. Period.

There are hundreds. Of course we can agree to disagree at this point. Part of being a hypocrite would be that Mark would turn down the opportunity to do what he has always said he wanted to do. Since there are no offers from the one team he wanted to stay with and none from teams near his hometown, he is stuck negotiating with teams that actually want him and appreciate him. That not hypocrisy, thats called job hunting.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
Sounds like the chairman isn't getting involved this time, probably to save a buck and avoid the emotional involvement.

Bye bye Mark. Hello cheap era, White Sox.

Hopefully he won't sign with a Central Division team and go 6-0 versus the Sox every year with a no hitter or two thrown in there.

It's not about saving a buck at this point. It's about not spending $48 million over the next 3+ years. There has been very little salary moved, and even JR won't jump in to get him signed before KW sheds a lot more money.

I agree, however, that hopefully he doesn't sign with an AL Central team. From what I've seen, heard, and read, I would imagine it'll be an NL team.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
It's not about saving a buck at this point. It's about not spending $48 million over the next 3+ years. There has been very little salary moved, and even JR won't jump in to get him signed before KW sheds a lot more money.

I agree, however, that hopefully he doesn't sign with an AL Central team. From what I've seen, heard, and read, I would imagine it'll be an NL team.

I truly think Jerry's been burned by the buck so often under Kenny, he's now just salivating over getting the payroll back down to pennies.

Sox aren't in position anymore to win anything of significance so why not save tons of money?

I'd be shocked if Paulie wasn't dealt. I can't believe AJ is still around.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)

If it's true, does he want them to give him a daily handjob so he knows they haven't forgotten about him? Telling him to ask them to possibly match his best offer should be enough.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I truly think Jerry's been burned by the buck so often under Kenny, he's now just salivating over getting the payroll back down to pennies.

Sox aren't in position anymore to win anything of significance so why not save tons of money?

I'd be shocked if Paulie wasn't dealt. I can't believe AJ is still around.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
There are hundreds. Of course we can agree to disagree at this point. Part of being a hypocrite would be that Mark would turn down the opportunity to do what he has always said he wanted to do. Since there are no offers from the one team he wanted to stay with and none from teams near his hometown, he is stuck negotiating with teams that actually want him and appreciate him. That not hypocrisy, thats called job hunting.

You skew it your way, I skew it mine. I don't want to continue this nowhere argument, especially after the Balta/SS2k5 comparison.