Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Just spoke to an agent who said KW has told Buehrle's camp the Sox will not match the offers out there.

58 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

If true, that's a shame. A total rebuild probably guarantees KW a couple more years of employment. White Sox vendors are probably doing an Irish jig.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U.S. Cellular Field - 298 miles to St. Louis, MO

As we can see, being closer to home and retiring early to be with family are clearly the two biggest priorities for Mark Buehrle.

Oh, and money. Lots and lots of money.

That's the only thing that pisses me off about Mark. Supposedly, he was seriously pondering retirement but now he's pushing for a 4-year deal?

Same with Oswalt. He was supposed to be done.....maybe 1 more year. Now, they say he's looking for a 3-year deal.

I guess money almost always wins.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
That's the only thing that pisses me off about Mark. Supposedly, he was seriously pondering retirement but now he's pushing for a 4-year deal?

Same with Oswalt. He was supposed to be done.....maybe 1 more year. Now, they say he's looking for a 3-year deal.

I guess money almost always wins.

I never have a problem with guys going for the most money. People actually criicized ARod for taking the extra $100 million. Buehrle is probably set for life, but pitching 6 months a year for 4 more years sets up another generation or 3.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
I never have a problem with guys going for the most money. People actually criicized ARod for taking the extra $100 million. Buehrle is probably set for life, but pitching 6 months a year for 4 more years sets up another generation or 3.

I understand going for the money. I really do. But with most guys, they don't repeat over and over again how much being close to home and wanting to retire means to them. I doubt A-Rod was talking about wanting to play closer to New York or the Dominican Republic, perhaps retiring at the end of whichever contract he was on at the time, etc.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
I understand going for the money. I really do. But with most guys, they don't repeat over and over again how much being close to home and wanting to retire means to them. I doubt A-Rod was talking about wanting to play closer to New York or the Dominican Republic, perhaps retiring at the end of whichever contract he was on at the time, etc.

Unless he's playing in St. Louis, whats the difference between playing in Chicago and playing in some of the other places........an hour more on a plane? Its for 6 months. You might as well take the money. He'll probably get access to a private jet to fly him and his family around anyway if it is far away from his home.

Playing MLB is a gift, you should play and get paid until you can't IMO.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)

This.

It'll be hard for me to root for Mark on any of those teams after all he's said.

If Mark does retire he walks away from the contract right. So I have no big deal with him 'changing his mind' from talking retirement to going for a 4 year deal.

In fact, he may well be walking AWAY from money.

If he truly wants to retire before 4 years, he could simply take a shorter deal, which would most likely be more money.

MB has mentioned retirement a lot, but when the season starts there is no one you can count on more than him.

Nothing I've seen so far has sullied my view of Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:55 AM)
If Mark does retire he walks away from the contract right. So I have no big deal with him 'changing his mind' from talking retirement to going for a 4 year deal.

In fact, he may well be walking AWAY from money.

If he truly wants to retire before 4 years, he could simply take a shorter deal, which would most likely be more money.

MB has mentioned retirement a lot, but when the season starts there is no one you can count on more than him.

Nothing I've seen so far has sullied my view of Mark Buehrle.

If the Sox try to make Mark out to be the bad guy, that would be utter bulls***. He's total class.

I can't wait til Peavy gives his take on this "rebuild." He'll desperately want out, but unfortunately nobody will take on his salary so he's stuck with the Sox. I'll love reading his quotes, however, when KW gets through with the roster.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
If the Sox try to make Mark out to be the bad guy, that would be utter bulls***. He's total class.

I will effectively dislike both parties (as much as I can) if he signs elsewhere.

Mark for lying about close to home and retiring soon.

Sox for not resigning him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
I will effectively dislike both parties (as much as I can) if he signs elsewhere.

Mark for lying about close to home and retiring soon.

Sox for not resigning him.

This is the part that bothers me. It's like he did a complete 180. He went from saying he's done at the end of his contract to saying he has to do what's best for his family (staying in the midwest) to looking for the most money and/or the longest contract.

I see the inevitable has begun. A hearsay-hearsay rumor published by a guy we all know to hate KW, says supposedly a guy told a guy that the Sox won't match an offer. This was taken as bible (when it probably isn't even true), and then we've somehow also preternaturally seen that Mark will sign for the most money with some distant team. And that in turn has become, he's obviously an asshole who only cares about money.

Seriously, some of you guys are like paranoid girlfriends. Maybe we should... I don't know... wait to see what actually happens? Instead of going down this road based on friggin Cowley's double-hearsay rumor?

Many Sox fans have grown up with Buehrle, have seen him pitch here for over a decade, and now they can't take the possibility he is leaving here for more money (judging from Cowley's remarks) or perhaps changing his remind on retirement. Yes, I understand Cowley has his agenda; but even if his source is correct it doesn't change my view of Buehrle. My position is, so what if he does? What more does he owe this organization or its fans?

All too often fans become attached to someone and feel they should never leave. I'm honestly reluctant to open up the Aaron Rowand thread....

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Many Sox fans have grown up with Buehrle, have seen him pitch here for over a decade, and now they can't take the possibility he is leaving here for more money (judging from Cowley's remarks) or perhaps changing his remind on retirement. Yes, I understand Cowley has his agenda; but even if his source is correct it doesn't change my view of Buehrle. My position is, so what if he does? What more does he owe this organization or its fans?

All too often fans become attached to someone and feel they should never leave. I'm honestly reluctant to open up the Aaron Rowand thread....

Honestly, it's not as bad as you think.. And I'd miss Buehrle more than Konerko (who will still be here most likely) and I'm fine with him leaving if that means the sox are rebuilding. (same with Konerko getting dealt if the sox find their future 1B) I hope Mark gets all the money he can at this point.

At what point all along did we think the Sox were going to "match" Mark's highest offer? I think we were all on the same page knowing that if he was going to stay it would be a bit of a discount over what was out there in the market. Basically no new news.

Second, KW has to move salary to bring Mark back, its pretty clear at this point that he hasnt been able to do that whatsoever due to the offers he's receiving.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)

This is a good post. I'll miss Mark if he goes, which looks increasingly likely. One my my favorites. But you are right, I think a lot of reactions here, one way or the other, are being driven by emotional attachment. Like the phases someone goes through when a relationship ends.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
This is a good post. I'll miss Mark if he goes, which looks increasingly likely. One my my favorites. But you are right, I think a lot of reactions here, one way or the other, are being driven by emotional attachment. Like the phases someone goes through when a relationship ends.

I've clearly stated my opinion in PHT recently. I think it's a perfect time to let Buehrle walk, but he'll only be proving himself a complete hypocrite if he signs somewhere far from St. Louis for a huge sum of money/years. I'd like him to somehow land with the Cardinals.

Its completely illogical and unduly emotional, but if we are going to blow it up and rebuild, the pure fan in me wants MB resigned so that I have something to selfishly look forward to in watching him pitch every fifth day. I feel the same way about Konerko. It would be unfair to both of them, but I personally would find it much easier to endure 3 years or so of suckitude, if I could still follow and root for my favorite pitcher and position player.

Its galling to me that we are going to lose an accomplished, durable, innings-eating staff anchor because of the ridiculous money tied up with Rios, Dunn and Peavy.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
I've clearly stated my opinion in PHT recently. I think it's a perfect time to let Buehrle walk, but he'll only be proving himself a complete hypocrite if he signs somewhere far from St. Louis for a huge sum of money/years. I'd like him to somehow land with the Cardinals.

If he doesn't return to the Sox, I agree that I'd like to see him with the Cards, which is clearly a dream for him.

But here's the thing... if the Cards don't have room for him, and the Sox make only a piddly offer... and he has other offers on the table... what choices does he have? He can either retire - while still pretty young and with lots of playing years left - or he can take the best offer. All things equal, or even slightly less than equal, I have zero doubt that Mark would play for the Sox or STL if that is possible. But if its not, while I'll be sad, I can't see how that makes him a hypocrite.