Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

I am at the point that I just wish Mark all the best. He deserves a fat paycheck for the next few years. It is always a gamble, but I would gamble on Mark giving his usual consistent season. I'd go with the high bidder and let it ride.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/...tm_medium=email

Buehrle return not looking good

December 5, 2011, 9:36 pm

New White Sox manager Robin Ventura discusses Mark Buehrle and his team's future if the veteran leaves Chicago - 12/5

CHUCK GARFIEN

DALLAS--- If you’re holding your breath for Mark Buehrle to return to the White Sox, you might need an oxygen mask.

And if you’re Robin Ventura, who arrived at the winter meetings on Monday as the new manager of the White Sox, you’re facing the realistic possibility that when the season begins, Buehrle will be wearing a different uniform.

“It’s easy if he stays, you just let him pitch. Obviously if he goes, it’s a tremendous loss,” Ventura told reporters. “You look at what he’s meant to the organization as a teammate, and even being around as little as I was, it was obvious what he’s meant. I’d be disappointed.”

The Marlins, Rangers and Nationals have been the most aggressive in their attempts to sign Buehrle. When the Nationals met with him at his home last month in Missouri, they expressed that signing him was their No. 1 priority, according to a source. Now the Nationals have entered the mix for fellow lefty free agent C.J. Wilson. Maybe they’ve gotten the hint.

As Comcast SportsNet reported on Sunday, the Marlins' offer to Buehrle is considered “very strong” and I’m told they remain the leading candidate to sign him.

Things could change here over the next few days. His agent, Jeff Berry, is a busy man. Many teams want to speak with him about his client, but the Marlins have been sitting on a pile of money for years and now they’re ready to spend it -- a lot of it. Just ask the Mets, who tried to resign shortstop Jose Reyes and got beaten out by Miami by over $30 million.

Leaving Chicago would be the most difficult decision of Buehrle’s career, but if the White Sox are unable to counter with a competitive offer to bring him back, they’ll help make the decision for him.

Every White Sox fan hopes it doesn’t come to this, but unless something changes, this appears to be the road where it’s all headed.

It’s a scenario Ventura found himself in back in 1998 when, after nine seasons, he left the White Sox, the team that drafted him, and signed with the New York Mets as a free agent.

“I’ve been in his position and I know what’s going through in his head,” Ventura said of Buehrle. “He likes Chicago, he likes the White Sox, but again, it’s where you’re at in your career, and what’s getting offered, and what’s getting thrown at you. Sometimes you get a little confused. When you look at what you really want, if it could happen, he would probably want to stay, but there’s a lot of people wanting him, and that’s something he has to weigh and he’s probably getting better offers.”

Ventura actually ran into Buehrle a couple weeks ago in New York City where Mark received his Gold Glove Award.

“I don’t know if it’s bad, but I made my case in person to him,” Ventura admitted. “I just wanted him to know what I thought of him and what he’s meant to the organization.”

What was Buehrle’s reaction?

“He just smiled and laughed.”

Ventura knows it’s not his decision to make. He says that he will voice his opinions to Williams about players, whether it’s Buehrle or possible trade pieces like John Danks, Carlos Quentin and Gavin Floyd. But in the end, it’s not his call.

“There was no ‘I had to have this’ or 'I had to have that,’” Ventura explained about his dealings with Williams when he took the job. “I’m agreeing to manage the White Sox, not that I have to have a certain player. Would I like to have them? Oh yeah. I realize what John means, and Carlos and Mark. I get that and would love to have that, but in the situation we’re in and what happened last year, is it for sure? No, but I would like to have it.”

Everyone wants to have Buehrle back.

Ventura.

Williams.

Jerry Reinsdorf.

But there’s only so much money.

And oxygen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:21 AM)
And the White Sox trading a pitcher they're likely to lose in FA, an often-injured RF and perhaps a 35-year old reliever is not turning over half the roster. The Braves were getting old and played out after '05. Sure, they didn't strip it down in one offseason. But they did over a 2-3 year period and rebuilt, for the most part, from within.

Before 2005 they traded for a $6.5 million 6th year pitcher in Tim Hudson, sending three prospects, including two top arms to OAK for him. Before 2006 they traded for a $9 million 11th SS in Edgar Renteria for then uber prospect Andy Marte. Before 2007 they traded for a $2.5 million 3rd year closer in Mike Gonzalez, sending Adam LaRoche and a prospect to do it. Before 2008, they spent $8 million on a 42 year old Tom Glavine.

The Braves thing is a fallacy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
Before 2005 they traded for a $6.5 million 6th year pitcher in Tim Hudson, sending three prospects, including two top arms to OAK for him. Before 2006 they traded for a $9 million 11th SS in Edgar Renteria for then uber prospect Andy Marte. Before 2007 they traded for a $2.5 million 3rd year closer in Mike Gonzalez, sending Adam LaRoche and a prospect to do it. Before 2008, they spent $8 million on a 42 year old Tom Glavine.

The Braves thing is a fallacy.

And Renteria was traded two years later for Jair Jurrgens. Glavine was simply a "will let him finish his career with us" signing. The Hudson trade was just common sense. The Gonzalez deal? Blah. Brian McCann, Jason Heyward, Tommy Hanson, Freddie Freeman. Craig Kimbrel, Johnny Venters all came up through the system as the Braves were getting old and expensive.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
And Renteria was traded two years later for Jair Jurrgens. Glavine was simply a "will let him finish his career with us" signing. The Hudson trade was just common sense. The Gonzalez deal? Blah. Brian McCann, Jason Heyward, Tommy Hanson, Freddie Freeman. Craig Kimbrel, Johnny Venters all came up through the system as the Braves were getting old and expensive.

So in other words, resigning Mark Buehrle does nothing to prevent the Sox from rebuilding. Now we can put that silliness to bed.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
If it's 4 years in the 13-14 per year range, I would really hope the White Sox would match that

If the current offers are 3 years (or less), and in the $12M-$13M/season range, then for 4 years, $12M per should do it. Or even 3/$39M with a 4th year option, given that he gets an NTC with the Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
If the current offers are 3 years (or less), and in the $12M-$13M/season range, then for 4 years, $12M per should do it. Or even 3/$39M with a 4th year option, given that he gets an NTC with the Sox.

With all of the supposed interest, i'm surprised to see execs saying 4 years can get it done. And i recall seeing a tweet from someone yesterday saying offers were in the 12-13 per year range. To me, 4/52 should be a no brainer for the white sox

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
Until someone can give me a scenario where a team has quickly and successfully rebuilt after a complete tear down, I am considering it to be in the realm of BigFoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Cubs World Series titles.

The Florida Marlins between 1998 and 2003?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:29 AM)
Or you could say this....

It makes sense to give daily playing time to many young guys while Rios and Dunn ride out their contracts. You hope that they turn it around at some point and if they do - you trade them. If not, oh well - by the time that the injected youth matures - we'll be primed to pickup a good DH and CF in the free agent market. Hell, by that time - we could draft for those slots now and have a replacement there.

And I'd wager that both Dunn and Rios perform much better on a team with no expectations. This, in turn, would make them moveable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:25 AM)
And the point he's trying to make still evades you. Milk, like myself and many others, want to see change. We want to see a new direction. A new method of attack. The imposed method has not worked for this organization. We, because we're big boys and don't react to the word rebuild the way a 5-year old reacts to the so-called boogeyman or the monster hiding under the bed, can tolerate a few down seasons (i.e. still going to games), or to be more specific, 2-3 seasons where we go into April appearing not to have a chance on paper, if you're ultimately working towards something better and sustainable down the road.

He understands, he's just trying to manipulate what I said. Everyone on this board knew my stance last season, as I repeated it ad nauseam.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
So you are thinking it will take 4-5 years of sucking now?

I don't know how long it will take. I do know that the current format isn't working, so any amount of time it would take would be equal to the number of underachieving seasons going forward we'd have with the current way of doing things.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Well, I don't believe that the White Sox will see the playoffs again in this decade so.....why not?

If they traded who i think they will trade here is the lineup you will most likely see:

1. De Aza

2. Alexei

3. Dunn

4. Konerko

5. Viciedo

6. AJP/Flowers

7. Rios

8. Gordo

9. Morel

1. Buehrle

2. Humber

3. Peavy

4. Sale

5. Stewart/Whoever

You dont think that team at least has a chance to compete within this division?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
If they traded who i think they will trade here is the lineup you will most likely see:

1. De Aza

2. Alexei

3. Dunn

4. Konerko

5. Viciedo

6. AJP/Flowers

7. Rios

8. Gordo

9. Morel

1. Buehrle

2. Humber

3. Peavy

4. Sale

5. Stewart/Whoever

The only they compete is if Dunn returns to a 30HR+ player and Vicedio replaces Quentin's production. That offense would have to be very good to hold up a pitching staff that looks like that. I'd say that this would be a 75 win team.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)

1. De Aza

2. Alexei

3. Dunn

4. Konerko

5. Viciedo

6. AJP/Flowers

7. Rios

8. Gordo

9. Morel

1. Buehrle

2. Humber

3. Peavy

4. Sale

5. Stewart/Whoever

Has a chance to compete, but a small one. 4/5 of that rotation could be awful. We still don't know what Humber will do as an encore (I think he's a back of the rotation piece), Sale will probably have some growing pains as he enters the rotation for the first time, Stewart is a wildcard who might profile better as a reliever, and Peavy could continue to Peavy.

On top of that you need to bank on Rios and Dunn bouncing back, Dayan to not miss a beat, as well as Morel and Gordon to progress offensively.

Sure the team could be competitive, but so many things have to work out. It's just as likely to be battling the Twins for the cellar. I'm of the opinion that losing both Danks and Floyd would severely hurt this team's chances.

Edited by DirtySox