Buehrle Signs with Marlins | 4 yrs $58 mil

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
I still think there is a better than even chance he ends up here. Not just Rock's source, but also, I am fairly certain that bottled up demand for guys like Quentin, Thornton and Danks/Floyd will allow KW to make a big trade or two cutting salary, keep the other one of Floyd/Danks, and sign M56.

I'm not sure by any stretch, but if I was forced to bet on a team, it would still be the Sox.

The question is, is M-56 going to stay here through what is clearly a rebuilding process. ANd do the Sox want to pay him to do that.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
The question is, is M-56 going to stay here through what is clearly a rebuilding process. ANd do the Sox want to pay him to do that.

I'm not sure yet that this is "clearly a rebuilding process". If the team moves Thornton, Quentin and EITHER of Danks or Floyd (but not both)... and re-signs M56... that doesn't look like a full-boat rebuild to me. Viciedo replaces Quentin, the rotation becomes Buehrle/Floyd-or-Danks/Peavy/Humber/Sale, and there is a long list of possible replacements for Thornton. Meanwhile, there are whatever prospect the team gets for those three. That looks like a re-tool on the fly to me, not a full-on rebuild. And they may not even trade both Quentin and Thornton, maybe only one of the two.

Of course, they may end up trading both those SP's and other people, and not sign M56, for a serious rebuild. That might also happen.

I really, really want the dominos to start falling soon. Its driving me nuts that we don't even have any idea what general direction the organization is going to take.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
I'm not sure yet that this is "clearly a rebuilding process". If the team moves Thornton, Quentin and EITHER of Danks or Floyd (but not both)... and re-signs M56... that doesn't look like a full-boat rebuild to me. Viciedo replaces Quentin, the rotation becomes Buehrle/Floyd-or-Danks/Peavy/Humber/Sale, and there is a long list of possible replacements for Thornton. Meanwhile, there are whatever prospect the team gets for those three. That looks like a re-tool on the fly to me, not a full-on rebuild. And they may not even trade both Quentin and Thornton, maybe only one of the two.

Of course, they may end up trading both those SP's and other people, and not sign M56, for a serious rebuild. That might also happen.

I really, really want the dominos to start falling soon. Its driving me nuts that we don't even have any idea what general direction the organization is going to take.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)

IMO, the key guy on rebuilding is Matty. If Danks and Quentin are moved but mark comes back, that's still a competitive team. Moving Matty means move everyone; that's the move where your team starts getting worse next year and has to break in and develop a kid to replace him...and even in the pen, developing a kid is a multi year commitment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
IMO, the key guy on rebuilding is Matty. If Danks and Quentin are moved but mark comes back, that's still a competitive team. Moving Matty means move everyone; that's the move where your team starts getting worse next year and has to break in and develop a kid to replace him...and even in the pen, developing a kid is a multi year commitment.

I don't agree, simply because Matt is the elephant in the room right now...rebuild or no rebuild, if you need to start cutting salary, the $6 million reliever is low hanging fruit...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
I don't agree, simply because Matt is the elephant in the room right now...rebuild or no rebuild, if you need to start cutting salary, the $6 million reliever is low hanging fruit...

I agree, Matt Thornton is not the signal here. The signal is who of Danks, Floyd and/or M56 are still around for 2012. If 2 of the 3 are back, or all 3, then this is in no way a rebuild. If one of three, or none, are with the team, that is a rebuild.

I agree, Matt Thornton is not the signal here. The signal is who of Danks, Floyd and/or M56 are still around for 2012. If 2 of the 3 are back, or all 3, then this is in no way a rebuild. If one of three, or none, are with the team, that is a rebuild.

Just about to post this..

If the Sox move Danks, and don't sign anyone to replace him.. they pretty signal we going to wait and see.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
Haha, I get it. I just never understood shortening typed things. It takes like a half second to type the whole name.

I've just always said Mark.

There was never any other Mark on our team worthy of talking about...

If the Sox trade Danks next week and Buehrle is still on the market, and the Sox aren't going to sign him, do you think JR will ask Buerhle for a solid and not sign with anyone until Dec 15th?

Season ticket invoices are due on the 14th, I would think losing those 2 and not bringing in some well known names is going to make the people on the fence about renewing jump off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 06:04 PM)
SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

mark buehrle, who hinted about retirement within last yr, may be most popular big-time free agent. 14 teams alive.

It's pretty obvious he's gone, isn't it?

Do the Cubs want him? I'd like to see him stay in town where he belongs even if it means him pitching for them.

Good luck to our team w/out Mark and Danks.

We'll be trotting one of the worst rotations in baseball out there trying to win with our offense?

Wow, get ready for a horrible horrible season.

Edited by greg775

Trying to look at this objectively. Buerhle is a solid pitcher who will give you 200 IP, however he isn't an ace. Seems like he is going to be overpaid. He really was helped out by the six man rotation to give him some rest. White Sox have been protecting him the last two to three seasons (six man rotation, skipping his start here or there, giving him less innings in spring training). He really didn't look great in the last month of the season.

This might be the right time to let Buerhle go. I know that he has some good intangibles (good teammate, leads by example, great defensively). But is Buerhle going to be more likely getting better each successive season or worse? All of those innings that he has pitched could eventually catch up to him.

If he goes to another team...hopefully, he signs with the Cards since he would love to be there. And I don't mind him picking up a large paycheck while trying to beat the cuBS.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
It's pretty obvious he's gone, isn't it?

Do the Cubs want him? I'd like to see him stay in town where he belongs even if it means him pitching for them.

Good luck to our team w/out Mark and Danks.

We'll be trotting one of the worst rotations in baseball out there trying to win with our offense?

Wow, get ready for a horrible horrible season.

Go root for the Marlins.