2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

Kuhn's climb: Tyler Kuhn wasn't upset about being left off the 40-man roster in November despite hitting .333 combined at Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte.

"Everybody loves that opportunity to be placed on the 40-man, but being invited to big league camp was an honor and I'm appreciative," Kuhn said. "So I'm taking it all in, making a good impression and playing as hard as I can while I'm here."

The left-handed hitting Kuhn, 25, can play left field as well as the infield.

Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Greg Paiml was traded to the Braves this morning. Didn't do too much at Birmingham the last couple years.

Now he actually has to rent an apartment wherever he plays. He could stay with his parents and walk to Regions Park while with the Barons.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
Me too, made improvements to his approach every year, good BB K ratio, a little power, a little speed and good OBP.

Yeah, he's a hard worker and has solid character. He was probably the one player I talked to more than any other.

Thoughts...

Could Kevin Dubler be headed for B'ham?

Where is Juan Silverio?

Likely for B'ham, four guys, Seth Loman, Corey Smith, Andy Wilkins and Jon Gilmore, for three positions, 1B, 3B and DH.

Who backs up Phegley in Charlotte? Espino or Gimenez? And, does Dubler back up the one who winds up in B'ham?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 08:58 PM)
Ben Badler ‏ @BenBadler Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Herky jerky lefty who's very, VERY raw. Low-A start is extremely aggressive RT @SportsOnFilm What do you know about Jefferson Olacio (CHW)?

That is the kid we signed out of Latin America, right? Isn't he super young?

Pitcher Nestor Molina, acquired from Toronto for closer Sergio Santos, will start the season at Double-A Birmingham with 2009 No. 1 pick Jared Mitchell.

Outfielder Trayce Thompson will report to Class A Winston-Salem, and Keenyn Walker, the Sox's first pick in 2011, will start at Class A Kannapolis.

Nothing unexpected there.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Birmingham is going to have a fun rotation to follow with Molina, Castro, Hernandez, and Quintana in it. Not sure who the 5th starter will be, but I'm sure Petricka will be up fairly quickly.

Castro's going to BHam? Are you sure? That'd be a disappointment.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 2, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Thoughts...

Could Kevin Dubler be headed for B'ham?

Where is Juan Silverio?

Likely for B'ham, four guys, Seth Loman, Corey Smith, Andy Wilkins and Jon Gilmore, for three positions, 1B, 3B and DH.

Who backs up Phegley in Charlotte? Espino or Gimenez? And, does Dubler back up the one who winds up in B'ham?

Dubler could easily just be gone, but if he's still around, he will likely back up in B-Ham. Silverio is likely in AA, since he finished in High A last year and the org still seems to like him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Birmingham is going to have a fun rotation to follow with Molina, Castro, Hernandez, and Quintana in it. Not sure who the 5th starter will be, but I'm sure Petricka will be up fairly quickly.

Cameron Bayne will likely be the 5th starter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Dubler could easily just be gone, but if he's still around, he will likely back up in B-Ham. Silverio is likely in AA, since he finished in High A last year and the org still seems to like him.

Dubler has to be in B'ham, Jared Price & Adam Ricks were released and there is no other catcher in the system that I'm aware of that would be AA ready. I know Silverio had a good run in High A last year, but he'd be a better fit for Winston-Salem than Birmingham. Third base in W-S is going to be manned by Jake Oester and Carlos Sanchez. Unless Silverio has been moved to the outfield, that might work for B'ham. I only have Jose Martinez, Jared Mitchell & Kenny Williams Jr. projected for B'ham.

Corey Smith could go to Charlotte, but there's no room for him there

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Castro's going to BHam? Are you sure? That'd be a disappointment.

Yeah, there's an article on whitesox.com that says that.

I could be wrong, but it looks like Charlotte will have the following rotation:

Dylan Axelrod

Terry Doyle

Charlie Leesman

Doug Davis

Deunte Heath

The only other guy that could be a possibility is Donnie Veal and I don't see that happening. Honestly, the only logical reason Castro is starting in AA is to gain some confidence at a pitcher-friendly park. There is simply not enough to block him from going to Charlotte fairly quickly.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Dubler has to be in B'ham, Jared Price & Adam Ricks were released and there is no other catcher in the system that I'm aware of that would be AA ready. I know Silverio had a good run in High A last year, but he'd be a better fit for Winston-Salem than Birmingham. Third base in W-S is going to be manned by Jake Oester and Carlos Sanchez. Unless Silverio has been moved to the outfield, that might work for B'ham. I only have Jose Martinez, Jared Mitchell & Kenny Williams Jr. projected for B'ham.

Corey Smith could go to Charlotte, but there's no room for him there

Regarding Silverio, they may just be sending him to AA so Sanchez and Ravelo can play everday at A+ and A respectively. Those are two of our younger prospects and should play everyday. Having said that, a move to the OF would make some sense for Silverio and with Short out for the year there may be an opening that needs to be filled.