Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
I'm not sure the Orioles match up well with the White Sox. I also wonder if Coop is angling for a Matusz to fix.

Sox and Orioles could match up very well. Baltimore has a lot of what the Sox want now -young upside pitching. MLB guys like Britton, Tillman, or system talent like Parker Bridwell.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
Sox and Orioles could match up very well. Baltimore has a lot of what the Sox want now -young upside pitching. MLB guys like Britton, Tillman, or system talent like Parker Bridwell.

I'm not sold on Tillman. I figured Britton to untouchable. Bridwell isn't bad. High upside, but pretty risky.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)

But then who pitches for the Orioles? Maybe they'll just let other teams setup a T.

Zach Britton is very interesting and I'd love to grab a kid with his arm.

While I doubt the Orioles would move him, his first year wasn't overly inspiring, and his K rate was a bit pedestrian given he was really thought to be a strike out pitcher coming up, but he showed signs and I doubt the Os would move him. His arm is big time though.

You also mention Tillman. He is much less exciting to me and doesn't project like Britton, which means someone like he would be a bit more likely.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
No way Orioles give up Britton for anyone we're likely to give up.

Perhaps...They would in the very least need a replacement for him, meaning at least a middle of the rotation starter. They do like Floyd. I don't see the point in a Floyd for Britton deal though, unless the Sox just wanted to get a younger starting pitcher.

Could Floyd/Britton be expanded to include Carlos Quentin? I am not good with 'fake trades', but a starting point of

Gavin Floyd and Carlos Quentin

for

Zach Britton + others.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
I'm not sold on Tillman. I figured Britton to untouchable. Bridwell isn't bad. High upside, but pretty risky.

Tillman is still very young. Needs a change of scenery.

Britton likely untouchable (but certainly who KW asked for)

Bridwell has a heavy sinker that KW loves.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
Gio Gonzalez is haunting KW at these meetings.

Compromising Danks' value for sure.

I don't know.

You think people maybe think Danks is a more proven pitcher? Has post season mettle and has pitched his entire career thus far in a tough park for pitchers. Gio, while having electric stuff, hasn't done it but for 1 year plus he did it in Oakland (pitcher friendly park).

A move of Danks better yield a very nice haul. Danks could easily slot into the #2 or #3 spot in nearly any rotation and be counted on.

The Red Sox have some 'nice' prospects. Someone like Alex Wilson...doesn't really project as a #1 starter or anything, but is a very solid prospect and I could see middle of the rotation potential. They have several others like him...I've seen Wilson pitch and I like him. Casey Kelly is a higher ranked prospect, but I don't know much about him.

I also like Josh Reddick. I love how he commands the plate and has a cannon in the outfield. The Sox really have no right fielders if CQ is moved. Reddick would slot in nicely in RF for the next 5+ years. In Boston, not sure he has a spot so he could be a moveable piece.

Would love to work a deal to get Reddick + pitching prospect (a Wilson type).

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't know.

You think people maybe think Danks is a more proven pitcher? Has post season mettle and has pitched his entire career thus far in a tough park for pitchers. Gio, while having electric stuff, hasn't done it but for 1 year plus he did it in Oakland (pitcher friendly park).

A move of Danks better yield a very nice haul. Danks could easily slot into the #2 or #3 spot in nearly any rotation and be counted on.

Gio had a very nice 2010 as well. Very close to last season. -Under control. Key issue for many teams. IMO, Danks is not a #2. He's a solid #3.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)

Is anyone else concerned with the Sun article when they talked about Santos? They mentioned that the Os would have been in on him as well but didn't know he was available. Um, if we're going to flip him, shouldn't we let it be known he was available to get the best possible offer?

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:39 PM)
The Red Sox have some 'nice' prospects. Someone like Alex Wilson...doesn't really project as a #1 starter or anything, but is a very solid prospect and I could see middle of the rotation potential. They have several others like him...I've seen Wilson pitch and I like him. Casey Kelly is a higher ranked prospect, but I don't know much about him.

I also like Josh Reddick. I love how he commands the plate and has a cannon in the outfield. The Sox really have no right fielders if CQ is moved. Reddick would slot in nicely in RF for the next 5+ years. In Boston, not sure he has a spot so he could be a moveable piece.

Would love to work a deal to get Reddick + pitching prospect (a Wilson type).

Wilson is decent. Kelly was one of the centerpieces of Gonzo deal. Fell off a lot last season. Reddick is nice player. If the Sox could pick up Reddick/Wilson that would be a very nice haul. Not happening though unless it's for Danks+TCQ or some kind of variance. BOS is one of the few teams that I believe would deal quality for Danks as they have a nice shot at resigning him. Dont know if there is interest there though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
Viciedo and Lillibridge are RFs.

Why is Viciedo penciled in at RF? I'd rather have Dayan in LF. He probably got starts in RF because Pierre was playing the only position he could reasonably play (LF).

And Lillibridge is a utility guy. He isn't a full time RF

Reddick is a guy you put in RF and you'll get excellent defense and can play most every game (except perhaps against really tough lefties).

If CQ is moved, then we either get someone back who can play RF, put a less than steller defensive player there or Rios enters the lineup (with De Aza moving to RF)....De Aza isn't much of a power bat so I'd rather have him in CF, but if Rios can (choking snort) rekindle his 25homer magic then we could carry a softer stick in RF.

Just throwing stuff out there. I doubt Reddick is even in the picture with CQ, although I can absolutely see why the BoSox would like CQ.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
Is anyone else concerned with the Sun article when they talked about Santos? They mentioned that the Os would have been in on him as well but didn't know he was available. Um, if we're going to flip him, shouldn't we let it be known he was available to get the best possible offer?

He was not being shopped. Jays have chased him for a while now.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:03 AM)
Why is Viciedo penciled in at RF? I'd rather have Dayan in LF. He probably got starts in RF because Pierre was playing the only position he could reasonably play (LF).

And Lillibridge is a utility guy. He isn't a full time RF

Reddick is a guy you put in RF and you'll get excellent defense and can play most every game (except perhaps against really tough lefties).

If CQ is moved, then we either get someone back who can play RF, put a less than steller defensive player there or Rios enters the lineup (with De Aza moving to RF)....De Aza isn't much of a power bat so I'd rather have him in CF, but if Rios can (choking snort) rekindle his 25homer magic then we could carry a softer stick in RF.

Just throwing stuff out there. I doubt Reddick is even in the picture with CQ, although I can absolutely see why the BoSox would like CQ.

Viciedo's arm is made for RF. De Aza will be LF or come off of the bench.