Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
Unless the Sox have given up on trying to re-sign Mark, I don't see any trades going down until they find out whether or not he's back. That's probably the first domino that has to fall.

I'm thinking the opposite. They can't sign Mark until they move some salaries.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)
I'm thinking the opposite. They can't sign Mark until they move some salaries.

Why would Buerhle want to return to the White Sox if they are going to move Danks and/or Floyd along with Quentin and possibly Thornton? To return here, he'd probably have to take less years than what he can get on the open market, so I just don't see it as realistic that he would return here for a lesser contract AND to a team in transition.

From the White Sox perspective, why give him a 3 year deal (maybe even 4) if it results in having to move Danks/Floyd, younger pitchers who are likely to be more effective than Buerhle in a few years? If one of the goals is to shed payroll, what better way to do that then letting Buerhle walk? They can somewhat replace him with Chris Sale as well.

Why would Buerhle want to return to the White Sox if they are going to move Danks and/or Floyd along with Quentin and possibly Thornton? To return here, he'd probably have to take less years than what he can get on the open market, so I just don't see it as realistic that he would return here for a lesser contract AND to a team in transition.

From the White Sox perspective, why give him a 3 year deal (maybe even 4) if it results in having to move Danks/Floyd, younger pitchers who are likely to be more effective than Buerhle in a few years? If one of the goals is to shed payroll, what better way to do that then letting Buerhle walk? They can somewhat replace him with Chris Sale as well.

If the Sox are going to re-sign Mark, then they probaby aren't trading both Danks and Floyd. Probably one of them since Peavy, Sale, and Humber are locked into the rotation, but I don't see the Sox shelling out money for Mark and then sticking Stewart or whoever in the rotation.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
What are the chances a trade happens today? I hope things start rolling so we'll have an idea of what kind of team we'll be watching next season.

As I've suggested a couple times recently, I think the meetings will conclude with not much if any Sox moves occurring. All this talk of shopping players and overhauling the roster

is just that...talk. A lot has to come together for significant deals to happen with this roster. The climate is pretty strange out there right now and Kenny is in his own world when he has assets to dangle.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
If the Sox are going to re-sign Mark, then they probaby aren't trading both Danks and Floyd. Probably one of them since Peavy, Sale, and Humber are locked into the rotation, but I don't see the Sox shelling out money for Mark and then sticking Stewart or whoever in the rotation.

If the White Sox resign Buerhle, wouldn't the Sox trade Danks to avoid A) having 3 left handers in their rotation and B) to avoid losing him in free agency without getting a few good prospects back this off-season?

If we are to believe all the speculation, it seems unlikely that Buehrle will be back, and Danks/Floyd (maybe both) are to be moved this off-season.

If the White Sox resign Buerhle, wouldn't the Sox trade Danks to avoid A) having 3 left handers in their rotation and B) to avoid losing him in free agency without getting a few good prospects back this off-season?

If we are to believe all the speculation, it seems unlikely that Buehrle will be back, and Danks/Floyd (maybe both) are to be moved this off-season.

Yes, if Mark is re-signed, then I think one of Danks/Floyd is traded but not both, and the most logical one to trade is Danks because he is a free agent sooner and also probably gets a better return than Floyd. I really don't care if there are 3 lefties in the rotation.

If Mark is not re-signed, then I can see both getting traded.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
So far these winter meetings are so damn boring. I hope things pick up today for the Sox, as well as for every other ball club.

Do you want things to pick up for the White Sox? They aren't likely so sign any meaningfull free agents, and if you hear anything, it's probably the beginning of a rebuilding process which may upset several on this forum.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
Yes, if Mark is re-signed, then I think one of Danks/Floyd is traded but not both, and the most logical one to trade is Danks because he is a free agent sooner and also probably gets a better return than Floyd. I really don't care if there are 3 lefties in the rotation.

If Mark is not re-signed, then I can see both getting traded.

Ok, so your barometer on whether to rebuild or not seems to fall on whether they resign Mark Buerhle. Is that fair to say?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)

The Sox are not going to resign Buehrle. Why is there so much speculation that they will?! Let it go, people.

Do you want things to pick up for the White Sox? They aren't likely so sign any meaningfull free agents, and if you hear anything, it's probably the beginning of a rebuilding process which may upset several on this forum.

I want the rebuilding process to get started.. Starting over is the way to go for this Sox team.

If KW was to trade Danks, Floyd, Q, Peavy, Ohman and Thornton it still wouldn't be enough in my eyes. I would still want PK, Alexei, Frasor, Crain and AJ gone as well. Then I would pray we find a few suckers to take Dunn/Rios.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 10:02 AM)
The Sox are not going to resign Buehrle. Why is there so much speculation that they will?! Let it go, people.

I don't think they will resign Buerhle. I know many think that Reinsdorf could jump in and work something out, but I just don't feel that it's smart to give him a 3-4 year deal at his age with all of the payroll concerns already existing.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
The Giants are very interested in Quentin and Alexei...

I could see KW falling in love with Gary Brown's speed and potential as leadoff hitter. Giants did trade their top pitching prospect last year for Beltran (Wheeler).

I could see KW falling in love with Gary Brown's speed and potential as leadoff hitter. Giants did trade their top pitching prospect last year for Beltran (Wheeler).

I wonder if Belt would be part of the trade.. Brown would be a great pick up as well.