Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
IMO Santo is not a HOF... I believe the reason he was voted in this year, has a lot to do with Billy Williams lobby for him.

In my opinion, it's cause he's dead and most of the writers thought he was an insufferable prick (to quote some sports radio hosts) and didn't want to deal with him making the HOF while still alive.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
I'm sure Cubs fans will say the hand of Theo got Santo in.

If the guy failed to make the HOF time after time, why was suddenly now worthy? That's what I don't understand about the process. To me, if you're HOF worthy, there isn't any debate.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
If the guy failed to make the HOF time after time, why was suddenly now worthy? That's what I don't understand about the process. To me, if you're HOF worthy, there isn't any debate.

He should have been in a long time ago, but that is just me.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman

#Whitesox not messing round, talking Danks, Floyd, but asking big returns right now in seller's market for SP.

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Now that's what I like to hear!

The Yankees like Danks, tweets SI's Jon Heyman, but they're unwilling to meet Chicago's request of top prospects Manny Banuelos and Jesus Montero. In fact, Heyman says the Yankees wouldn't trade either for Danks

I guess Sox are suppose to give Danks away for free! <_>

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
The Yankees like Danks, tweets SI's Jon Heyman, but they're unwilling to meet Chicago's request of top prospects Manny Banuelos and Jesus Montero. In fact, Heyman says the Yankees wouldn't trade either for Danks.

From what I gather, they wouldn't trade Montero for anybody not named Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
The Yankees like Danks, tweets SI's Jon Heyman, but they're unwilling to meet Chicago's request of top prospects Manny Banuelos and Jesus Montero. In fact, Heyman says the Yankees wouldn't trade either for Danks

Great. It's a free country. Then, no deal Yank-mes! If the Yanks are "unwilling" to trade talent for talent, then plug Banuelos or some of the usual retreads into the rotation THIS season. Go explain that to your fans, Cashman. The Sox should (FINALLY) be unwilling to trade valuable chips for other team's junk. It's only when you walk from the junk that other GMs will start understanding they need to offer actual value to get a deal done.

I REALLY hope that this is the year KW finally understands that when you have some leverage you actually use it. The free agent SP market is so thin that someone will step-up for quality, affordable, young pitchers like Danks and/or Floyd. This entire process should be about finding that someone. I haven't been in the war-room, but far too often it sure seems that KW has telegraphed his punches and has jumped at first offers because he just had to get something done (e.g., BOTH Swisher trades -- in-coming and out-going).

Kenny! You're holding some cards with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton. Play your cards! Don't get played.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
Great. It's a free country. Then, no deal Yank-mes! If the Yanks are "unwilling" to trade talent for talent, then plug Banuelos or some of the usual retreads into the rotation THIS season. Go explain that to your fans, Cashman. The Sox should (FINALLY) be unwilling to trade valuable chips for other team's junk. It's only when you walk from the junk that other GMs will start understanding they need to offer actual value to get a deal done.

I REALLY hope that this is the year KW finally understands that when you have some leverage you actually use it. The free agent SP market is so thin that someone will step-up for quality, affordable, young pitchers like Danks and/or Floyd. This entire process should be about finding that someone. I haven't been in the war-room, but far too often it sure seems that KW has telegraphed his punches and has jumped at first offers because he just had to get something done (e.g., BOTH Swisher trades -- in-coming and out-going).

Kenny! You're holding some cards with Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton. Play your cards! Don't get played.

Danks is not as movable as many think. No team us give up a top prospect for one season of control.

Asking for the moon initially is basically GMing 101. But ultimately, you're not getting anything close to that package. It doesn't help that Gio Gonzalez is apparently on the market.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
Danks is not as movable as many think. No team us give up a top prospect for one season of control.

I hear what you're saying and agree partially -- one season of control definitely limits you're return. In some ways, while Danks might be the better overall pitcher (and a lefty who might be destined to keep pitching forever), this factor might make Floyd the slightly more valuable pitching chip.

Still, I think there are plenty of wealthy contenders who will pay REAL value for an established and quality lefty, even if you have one season of control. In my opinion, some continually overstate the value of "prospects." By definition, they ARE prospects -- they haven't done it at the M.L. level and statistics tell you that most never will. It's the truly rare prospect that's any kind of certainty and there is a long history of Yankee prospects who have been far overhyped and who have amounted to one year wonders or one year nothings.

My point is only that Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton -- each in their own way -- have known and recognized value. Sure, they each bring baggage. There isn't a player that doesn't have this. But absent an Adam Dunn situation of a player with almost unheard of year-to-year consistency doing a total free-fall, you know what you're getting when you trade for any of these four (CQ's health being the biggest x-factor). That's what make them valuable to other teams -- they trade for them to fill a hole. If they want that certainty, they better be trading certainty of a different sort, or at least prospects with significant upside (and not non-prospect suspects like Marquez and Nunez).

Apparently the Yankees believe they're the Theo Epstein Red Sox, where they can acquire massive talent for nobodies.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
Asking for the moon initially is basically GMing 101. But ultimately, you're not getting anything close to that package. It doesn't help that Gio Gonzalez is apparently on the market.

But imagine the package required for Gio. Danks would be much more attractive because you could get him for a lot less (which should still be a lot anyway).

Why? Who do you want to play ss for the Sox next season?

Omar?

Sign Alex Gonzalez or Betancourt on the cheap.. If we are going to rebuild, get rid of everyone and bring many top and mid level prospects in this organzation...