Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Yeah, Alonso has nowhere to play unless both CQ and Rios go, or unless you want De Aza on the bench. Grandal would be far preferable IMO

This is so flawed. The White Sox need to be sending out a f***ing net fishing for talent anywhere. You don't dismiss a Yonder Alonso because Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin are presently employed. They are not part of the next White Sox Championship team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
This is so flawed. The White Sox need to be sending out a f***ing net fishing for talent anywhere. You don't dismiss a Yonder Alonso because Alex Rios and Carlos Quentin are presently employed. They are not part of the next White Sox Championship team.

How is it flawed to target guys that fill holes in the depth chart? I didn't say avoid Alonso at all costs, I said Grandal is much preferable.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO you LIE!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)

It's more like they need an opening at 1B or DH. He's a brutal defender. There's a reason he's on the trading block. The Reds would stick him in LF if he was any good there.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Most interesting thing I heard today is there is a Sox vet who would like to be traded if KW starts trading proven players for potential.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

My guess is Peavy if this isn't typical Cowley bunk.

Didn't Peavy actually come out and say that he didn't want to be a part of a rebuilding process before the beginning of last season?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:50 AM)
cst_Cowley cst_Cowley

Most interesting thing I heard today is there is a Sox vet who would like to be traded if KW starts trading proven players for potential.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

My guess is Peavy if this isn't typical Cowley bunk.

My guess is Konerko

Peavy saying he doesn't want to be part of a rebuilding process due to the team struggling and having a bloated payroll is like Tigers Woods sleeping with 100 women and then telling Elin that he doesn't want to be in a troubled marriage. Dear Jake....shut up before you pull a muscle in your mouth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
My guess is Konerko

I wouldn't doubt it. To be truthful, I wouldn't blame the guy either. He's getting long in the tooth and I know he wants to get a chance for one more ring before he retires.

Well if that's true then maybe Alonso IS on his way here. But he's not good defensively? That's no good.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:00 AM)
I wouldn't doubt it. To be truthful, I wouldn't blame the guy either. He's getting long in the tooth and I know he wants to get a chance for one more ring before he retires.

Well if that's true then maybe Alonso IS on his way here. But he's not good defensively? That's no good.

Konerko to the Brewers makes a ton of sense

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)

I believe Alonso is considered a decent to above average 1B. Though I don't think PK is going anywhere.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
.300 average 30 homers .900 ops, stand up guy, 2 years $24 million left on the contract, I would imagine pretty much.

He seems older than he is and isn't the quickest or nimblest guy out there. I'd be surprised if they got much for him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
He seems older than he is and isn't the quickest or nimblest guy out there. I'd be surprised if they got much for him.

Some said that 2 or 3 years ago. He's a better hitter now than he was in his 20s. He's slow as can be, but he's always been slow, and he's only owed money for 2 years. With steroids and greenies in far less use, and now testing for HGH albeit small and no tests during the season, a clean guy with Konerko's numbers don't grow on trees anymore.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)

Konerko would not be valued for his 'quickness'...he would solve a team need at first base for power, average and leadership. I have no interest in trading him and if 'not getting much' is all we'd get, then we hang onto him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 06:07 PM)
Wait, who are we kidding...if it's coming from Cowley, it's like AJP. That's fine with me if he's gone. Thanks for a great career here AJ, but you're the last person we need around if we blow it up.

\Bingo. And the Sox would love to deal him if they get the chance. The problem is no one will want him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
Some said that 2 or 3 years ago. He's a better hitter now than he was in his 20s. He's slow as can be, but he's always been slow, and he's only owed money for 2 years.

If I had to guess, I'd say that he would get type B free agent return.

One top 5 or two top 12-15 guys from a good system.