Cowley: Bridges need to be rebuilt.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:13 AM)
The only quote from Danks about Cooper is him saying that Cooper and Peavy need to sit down and hash things out. The other quotes about how Cooper was different before his contract extension were from "one pitcher". Cowley tried (but failed) to make it look like Cooper and Danks had issues. Who was the "one pitcher" that talked about Cooper's behavior? That would be a better and more accurate story.

Exactly. The only fence that needs to be mended is by Cowley so that he can write objectively about the White Sox. Don't you have to pay to read the Sun Times now? Maybe they figured they can't charge people to read his work. Its a pretty empty article trying to trick you into thinking Danks is giving you some information someone else is supposedly supplying. Just like when Cowley said Thornton to ATL was picking up steam last week, the ATL writer said it was total BS. Cowardly backed off and said he didn't say it was going to happen, only getting close. If you notice, when he tries breaking a story, he always leaves a lot of leeway in there so he can say he was right. I can do that too. Right now I will tell you my sources are reporting Prince Fielder will sign with the Cubs, Mariners or a mystery team. My ass is covered.

This is interesting, from the Tribune, its Jake Peavy:

"I'm not, in any way, bashing Ozzie," Peavy said in a telephone interview. "He took this franchise to the World Series (in 2005), and now he has a chance to fulfill a challenge in Miami. But we all saw (Guillen's departure) needed to happen — for both sides. I don't think it's a shock what I'm saying. We have a fresh face (Ventura) with a new attitude and a guy who is highly respected."

"Ozzie didn't care for me at the end because I was shut down," Peavy said. "It didn't end on good terms. The one thing about it, Coop and I have an open relationship. There was one time where I disagreed about something he said about me being on and off after coming back from the surgery, and I told him about it.

"But let's be real: The Sox don't win a World Series without Mark Buehrle, and look at what Coop has done over the years. It takes time to know someone. I have no problems with (Cooper)."

Looks like Peavy and Ozzie need to mend some fences. Joe is wrong again.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Can you believe how wrong Cowley got that? Here is the Peavy quote on top from the Trib and Cowley's column below.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or what but these two parts seem to be most at odds, not the selection you picked from cowley.

The one thing about it, Coop and I have an open relationship. There was one time where I disagreed about something he said about me being on and off after coming back from the surgery, and I told him about it.

Then there was the disintegrating relationship between Cooper and starter Jake Peavy when the veteran right-hander believed Cooper threw him under the bus in several interviews
Edited by MAX

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Can you believe how wrong Cowley got that? Here is the Peavy quote on top from the Trib and Cowley's column below.

In your continuing quest to be Soxtalk's biggest smartass you missed the premise of Cowley's article. You probably also missed the print edition which had a big color picture of Cooper on the backpage hinting at all the trouble he's created. Then to make your smart ass retort look accurate you left off this Peavy quote from my post:

"But let's be real: The Sox don't win a World Series without Mark Buehrle, and look at what Coop has done over the years. It takes time to know someone. I have no problems with (Cooper)."

If Peavy has no problems with Cooper, Cowley's article is like his Thornton to ATL crap. Totally bogus, although we did get to find out Danks spent time at a Home Depot. Peavy apparently has a problem with Ozzie or Ozzie has a problem with Peavy or both, but Cowley never mentioned that. Go figure.

Edited by Dick Allen

Max, thank you for the better example. Bottom line, IMHO Coop probably was pushing Peavy, for his own good. Peavy may have been miffed at the time, but realizes that is what a coach has to do at times. Anyone that has been around sportsd for a while understands that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 08:55 PM)
So I trust Peavy is getting the offseason he was looking forward to in September, and he's preparing for his 34 starts and 220 innings.

Where's that quote?

That's in a file to be printed during Spring Training, the day after the Dunn in the best shape of his life piece.

And Dick, thank you for taking the time for a microanalyses of my post. I hope my later post was clear enough for you to understand my point. I also appreciate that while you believe I am trying to be a smart ass, you are trying for the opposite.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Exactly. The only fence that needs to be mended is by Cowley so that he can write objectively about the White Sox. Don't you have to pay to read the Sun Times now? Maybe they figured they can't charge people to read his work. Its a pretty empty article trying to trick you into thinking Danks is giving you some information someone else is supposedly supplying. Just like when Cowley said Thornton to ATL was picking up steam last week, the ATL writer said it was total BS. Cowardly backed off and said he didn't say it was going to happen, only getting close. If you notice, when he tries breaking a story, he always leaves a lot of leeway in there so he can say he was right. I can do that too. Right now I will tell you my sources are reporting Prince Fielder will sign with the Cubs, Mariners or a mystery team. My ass is covered.

This is interesting, from the Tribune, its Jake Peavy:

"I'm not, in any way, bashing Ozzie," Peavy said in a telephone interview. "He took this franchise to the World Series (in 2005), and now he has a chance to fulfill a challenge in Miami. But we all saw (Guillen's departure) needed to happen — for both sides. I don't think it's a shock what I'm saying. We have a fresh face (Ventura) with a new attitude and a guy who is highly respected."

"Ozzie didn't care for me at the end because I was shut down," Peavy said. "It didn't end on good terms. The one thing about it, Coop and I have an open relationship. There was one time where I disagreed about something he said about me being on and off after coming back from the surgery, and I told him about it.

Nicely done Jake :lolhitting

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
Wait, is Cowley the Parrot or does the Parrot work for the Tribune?

The insinuation is that the parrot is the Trib writer of course. That is interesting because apparently that means Joe doesn't repeat what people tell him when he writes, which means he is also admitting his makes s*** up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
The insinuation is that the parrot is the Trib writer of course. That is interesting because apparently that means Joe doesn't repeat what people tell him when he writes, which means he is also admitting his makes s*** up.

Yeah, that's why I didn't think that "not being a parrot" was that much of a compliment either.

Jake Peavy

In other words, Ozzie Guillen wasn't respected.

I didn't get that at all from reading that.. I think you are reading into things just a tad to much. If Ozzie wasn't respected, Buehrle isn't a Marlin then.. IMO. I do think Jake's feelings were hurt by Ozzie, to which I say.. get over it.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I didn't get that at all from reading that.. I think you are reading into things just a tad to much. If Ozzie wasn't respected, Buehrle isn't a Marlin then.. IMO. I do think Jake's feelings were hurt by Ozzie, to which I say.. get over it.

But if Ozzie's feelings were hurt by Coop or Kenny, well that's a legitimate grievance.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)

No, what he was saying is that the Trib just publishes whatever they are told to report, but Joe actually "digs" and gets to the truth.

Here's the problem with Cowley's reporting. He takes a few disgruntled people and uses their thoughts to advance the narrative he wants to tell. So, because there a few people who dont like Coop, therefore everyone hates him and all he was doing is protecting his ass.

You could take this model and apply it to any work environment in the country. there are ALWAYS people who dislike their boss. I know in my particular situation, if you interviewed me and one of my co-workers, you'd think my boss was a lying back stabbing bafoon. If you interviewed others, they'd say they love the man and he's a great guy. Which is the truth? If Cowley disliked my boss, he'd only use me and my co-worker as his sources.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
Here's the problem with Cowley's reporting. He takes a few disgruntled people and uses their thoughts to advance the narrative he wants to tell. So, because there a few people who dont like Coop, therefore everyone hates him and all he was doing is protecting his ass.

You could take this model and apply it to any work environment in the country. there are ALWAYS people who dislike their boss. I know in my particular situation, if you interviewed me and one of my co-workers, you'd think my boss was a lying back stabbing bafoon. If you interviewed others, they'd say they love the man and he's a great guy. Which is the truth? If Cowley disliked my boss, he'd only use me and my co-worker as his sources.

And it my last few posts on this topic, I just demonstrated exactly how easy it is to be Joe Cowley. Take Peavy's quote, and turn it into no one respects Guillen. Take Joe's quote on parroting, and turn it into he doesn't tell the truth. Take Joe's quote on writing opinions and turn it into he doesn't report the facts.

I can't believe people still fall for Joe Cowley like he is some kind of misunderstood crusading Jesus who wants to save us all. Dude is a two bit gossip columnist who doesn't deserve to be read. He should be on MSNBC where he belongs. He isn't breaking news stories, he is taking bits of information out of context, and with subtle changes, and weaving them into a narrative that just isn't true. The guy is a garbage writer.