Yu Darvish

Heads22

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)
This is where I think the financial projections are unrealistic. Adding in the posting fee, he's gonna be about the 4th highest paid pitcher in the whole league. He needs to pitch that well to make it worth it. He needs to be CC/Halladay/Cliff Lee good.

If the other pitchers at your salary are worth 6 or 7 wins a year (other than Johan), you need to be that good too.

The Rangers could not care less about that. Players' values are not determined by their salary.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
This is where I think the financial projections are unrealistic. Adding in the posting fee, he's gonna be about the 4th highest paid pitcher in the whole league. He needs to pitch that well to make it worth it. He needs to be CC/Halladay/Cliff Lee good.

If the other pitchers at your salary are worth 6 or 7 wins a year (other than Johan), you need to be that good too.

I know he's been good for a while now, but I still have a part of me that does a double-take each time Cliff Lee is mentioned as one of the best pitchers in the game. I can't shake the memories of him being terrible.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm sure they care when they have to sign his paycheck. Money doesn't grow on trees so salary absolutely matters in a player's value.

More than that, they're going to care next offseason when Josh Hamilton is a free agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
More than that, they're going to care next offseason when Josh Hamilton is a free agent.

Reading about predictions and projections and saying a $19M salary is justified if you win four games? Did I read that right? What the Rangers paid for Darvish and I am only talking his salary is crazy enough. $51M just to talk to him is crazy cazy. Maybe the Rangers figure they will offset the salary by letting Hamilton walk?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Reading about predictions and projections and saying a $19M salary is justified if you win four games? Did I read that right? What the Rangers paid for Darvish and I am only talking his salary is crazy enough. $51M just to talk to him is crazy cazy. Maybe the Rangers figure they will offset the salary by letting Hamilton walk?

Again, take the time to go understand what "Wins above replacement" are before posting. We'd really appreciate it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm sure they care when they have to sign his paycheck. Money doesn't grow on trees so salary absolutely matters in a player's value.

What I meant was, the success or failure of this signing won't be determined by measuring how Darvish compares to other pitchers making a similar salary. You mentioned Darvish would have to perform as well as high-salary pitchers like CC and Halladay. There are mediocre pitchers making a lot of money too. It's not like if Darvish marginally outperformed Zambrano or Zito, the deal is a good one.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
I know he's been good for a while now, but I still have a part of me that does a double-take each time Cliff Lee is mentioned as one of the best pitchers in the game. I can't shake the memories of him being terrible.

This.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
What I meant was, the success or failure of this signing won't be determined by measuring how Darvish compares to other pitchers making a similar salary. You mentioned Darvish would have to perform as well as high-salary pitchers like CC and Halladay. There are mediocre pitchers making a lot of money too. It's not like if Darvish marginally outperformed Zambrano or Zito, the deal is a good one.

And I'm sure the teams paying mediocre pitchers a lot of money aren't happy either. Just because other pitchers don't live up to their salary, doesn't mean the Rangers sholdn't expcet Darvish too.

If Darvish averages 4 WAR per year as the projections say he should, then that puts him more in Buehrle or CJ Wilson range. If that's what the Rangers were looking for, they could have just signed one of those two and used the extra $5 or $6 million per season to sign someone else and improve the team.

If I'm gonna make someone the highest paid right-hander in AL history, he better be a Cy Young candidate every year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
And I'm sure the teams paying mediocre pitchers a lot of money aren't happy either. Just because other pitchers don't live up to their salary, doesn't mean the Rangers sholdn't expcet Darvish too.

If Darvish averages 4 WAR per year as the projections say he should, then that puts him more in Buehrle or CJ Wilson range. If that's what the Rangers were looking for, they could have just signed one of those two and used the extra $5 or $6 million per season to sign someone else and improve the team.

If I'm gonna make someone the highest paid right-hander in AL history, he better be a Cy Young candidate every year.

The problem is, the contracts that landed Buehrle and Wilson have them earning $20M after they've turned 35. Darvish is 25, and hasn't even entered his prime yet. According to the aging curve, he should get even better.

It's a unique situation. Rarely do players who come up through the MLB with superstar numbers hit the free agent market at age 25. And the dollar gets you less each year. What would the buying power be today from the deal Kevin Brown signed 10 years ago?

Since we can translate on-field performance into a dollar and cents value, why not use that to evaluate the deal? Seems better than comparing him to other players whose contracts were agreed upon under entirely different circumstances.

Texas Rangers co-chairman of the board Bob Simpson said Friday night after the introductory news conference for Yu Darvish that his preference would be to re-sign Josh Hamilton over adding free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder.

"We've got guys, frankly, like Josh Hamilton that I would love to see re-signed," Simpson said. "My personal preference, at this moment, would be to re-sign him instead of having Fielder. But we could all debate that.

"Everybody dreams about having both. Sometimes you can't have both at some level. If they came around to something we'd do, we'd look at him. But we don't think it's likely."

Sounds like the Rangers have the money to do 2 of Darvish, Fielder, and Hamilton. So an interesting comparison, at least, is going to be Darvish versus Fielder the next couple years.