Yu Darvish

Heads22

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
We're supposed to find out who gets the first crack at him tonight...

This mustache must not be denied.

yu-darvish-1.jpg

Didn't he insist like 3-4 years ago (around the time Matsuzaka came over) that he would never come to the US to play MLB?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
Very cool, but there goes another trading partner for Kenny. If Gio goes to the Nationals, you have to think Blue Jays will go after Danks. I'd love to see Toronto try to get Prince now.

Also worth noting that the Rangers could explore trading Harrison now. They have a pitching surplus.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Didn't he insist like 3-4 years ago (around the time Matsuzaka came over) that he would never come to the US to play MLB?

IIRC, he said he wouldn't come over until he set the all-time record for wins in Japan, which meant he probably wouldn't come over for another 10 years, obviously, that didn't happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
I hate how every expert is already guaranteeing that he won't be Dice-K part 2. Nearly every hyped starter that comes from Japan has a few good years and then flames out due to injury or bad performance.

I totally agree, except you're LUCKY if you get a few good years. They mostly give you one or none at all. I'm waiting for baseball execs to realize this.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 12:36 AM)
Daisuke is also 6'0" 185, Darvish is 6'5" 220, he has a real good build, should give him a better shot at staying healthy.

Exactly. He's half-Iranian, so he doesn't have the slight build that many Japanese players have...which might help his durability.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)

I agree with Jeff. There's obviously risk. But to continuously lump Yu and Dice-K together because they're both Japanese is silly. Darvish is clearly a better big league prospect than Dice-K was 5 years ago. I'll give the Rangers the benefit of the doubt for now. They haven't done anything wrong since the Tex trade.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:24 PM)
I agree with Jeff. There's obviously risk. But to continuously lump Yu and Dice-K together because they're both Japanese is silly. Darvish is clearly a better big league prospect than Dice-K was 5 years ago. I'll give the Rangers the benefit of the doubt for now. They haven't done anything wrong since the Tex trade.

They also never spent nearly $100 million for a pitcher from Japan in that time frame either. Darvish will probably have some success in the majors, but I doubt he is ever worth anywhere near what the Rangers end up spending for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
They also never spent nearly $100 million for a pitcher from Japan in that time frame either. Darvish will probably have some success in the majors, but I doubt he is ever worth anywhere near what the Rangers end up spending for him.

That's why I said for now. The Rangers, along with the Rays and Phillies, are the premier organizations in baseball. So if they feel confident in investing such a hefty sum towards a pitcher, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:41 AM)
That's why I said for now. The Rangers, along with the Rays and Phillies, are the premier organizations in baseball. So if they feel confident in investing such a hefty sum towards a pitcher, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Throwing away stupid money on a player you may not be able to afford is a quick way to go from being a premier organization to being a floundering organization trying to cut payroll.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 11:41 PM)

When have the Rays invested a hefty sum towards any pitcher? Or player, for that matter? They have moore and longoria locked up to long extremely team friendly deals, and they have dealt away any other player for prospects and ML ready players(Garza, Bartlett) or just let the player walk when it is time to get paid(Pena, Crawford). Totally different organizational philosophy than the Phillies who are spending money like it is going out of style and trading whoever has value for stars.

And you say that Darvish is "clearly" a better prospect than Daisuke 6 years ago. When did you come to that determination? Daisuke was supposed to be the real deal, his "gyroball" was supposed to defy gravity and be unhittable. It didnt, it wasnt, and he turned out to be a flop when you consider the posting fee and his contract. But that doesnt change the fact that Daisuke had the exact same hype back then that Darvish has now.

Darvish could very well come in and dominate, but he also could be outclassed by a league that is far superior than the league Darvish has been in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 07:35 AM)
Throwing away stupid money on a player you may not be able to afford is a quick way to go from being a premier organization to being a floundering organization trying to cut payroll.

Exactly. The Red Sox were the premeir organization a few years ago, then they started throwing stupid money at every FA and are definitely in a much worst position right now. (their revenue stream will probably help them survive though)