2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
As nice a run that Lin has had, he shouldn't be taking more shots than Amar'e or Melo.

He wasn't horribly inefficient today though. Carmelo didn't deserve to take more shots. He didn't shoot it well AND turned the ball over 6 times (horrible for a guy who doesn't handle the ball all the time).

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Who said you could leave PHT? :ph34r:

Well, the one time I attempt to branch out I'm shot down by the resident troll . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Well, the one time I attempt to branch out I'm shot down by the resident troll . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Sorry, forgot the company line.

ALL HAIL KALAPSE, LORD OF SOXTALK :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:12 PM)
So yeah, Carmelo was awful and the Knicks lost.

Jeremy Lin actually didn't turn the ball over and had a decent all-around game with 21/9/7.

Let the Melo vs. Lin battles begin!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
He wasn't horribly inefficient today though. Carmelo didn't deserve to take more shots. He didn't shoot it well AND turned the ball over 6 times (horrible for a guy who doesn't handle the ball all the time).

I didn't watch that game of course, but the real question I have in terms of the development of that team was what kind of Shots was Melo getting? If Lin is being an effective PG, then that ought to be disrupting the defense enough that he has his choice of an open shot for Melo or an open shot for Amare (with an occasional role-player shot thrown in).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
I didn't watch that game of course, but the real question I have in terms of the development of that team was what kind of Shots was Melo getting? If Lin is being an effective PG, then that ought to be disrupting the defense enough that he has his choice of an open shot for Melo or an open shot for Amare (with an occasional role-player shot thrown in).

I wanted to watch that game last night, i was pissed NBAtv wasnt carrying it. I just dont know how Melo is going to fit in an offense designed to run run run and shoot shoot shoot. Everything in Melos game is deliberate, isolation.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
I wanted to watch that game last night, i was pissed NBAtv wasnt carrying it. I just dont know how Melo is going to fit in an offense designed to run run run and shoot shoot shoot. Everything in Melos game is deliberate, isolation.

He ran ran ran and shot shot shot in Denver. That's what they do. Give it time, dude was out two weeks. You can't expect him to hit the ground running.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
Bowie over Jordan

Oden over Durant

Portland FTW

You can't really blame them though, in 84 they had Drexler and Bowie looked legit and Oden would be the best big man today if his health wasn't so s***ty, I remember watching Oden vs Howard a few years ago and he was manhandling Dwight.

Most teams will pick a legit looking center because thosr guys are far and few between.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
You can't really blame them though, in 84 they had Drexler and Bowie looked legit and Oden would be the best big man today if his health wasn't so s***ty, I remember watching Oden vs Howard a few years ago and he was manhandling Dwight.

Most teams will pick a legit looking center because thosr guys are far and few between.

I think there were a fair number of people worried about Oden's long term health coming out of college.

Of course, with Durant being a twig, there were probably just as many worried about him...but that's why you do physicals and such.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
I think there were a fair number of people worried about Oden's long term health coming out of college.

Of course, with Durant being a twig, there were probably just as many worried about him...but that's why you do physicals and such.

Oden needs to be released and let the Suns work their magic on him!

Jeremy Lin is a better role model than Derrick Rose and it isnt even close

The difference between Jeremy Lin and Derrick Rose, in regards to being a role model, is the difference between what is expected and what is exceptional in terms of what people presume from an individual.

Derrick Rose is humble, has never been arrested, does charity work, cares for his teammates, and works hard on the court. All this is true. But is there really anything exceptional to this? Of course not; all of this should be expected. You're suppose to be humble, you're suppose to not get arrested, you're suppose to volunteer, and you're suppose to work hard. To actually list these as reasons for Derrick Rose to be held as a role model not only diminishes him as an individual but lowers our standards for role models and belittles our already low opinion of professional athletes. Presumably, the bar has been battered down so low in professional sports what was once expected is now exceptional; what was once customary is now extraordinary.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't respect Derrick Rose.

We should.

It also doesn't mean we can't view Derrick Rose as a role model.

We ought to.

Just don't tell me he's a better role model than Jeremy Lin, because he is not.

Notwithstanding a settled SAT score issue in high school, Derrick Rose has led a life which we can all look up to. But I'll be looking at Jeremy Lin first when it comes to being a role model. By now you've heard the story, and listing all the unique and remarkable events in Jeremy Lin's life will be a litany of resignation. You've also heard the racist slurs directed at him, surprisingly coming from a cross-section of Americans, despite which he still succeeds.

What does Jeremy Lin say to the racists and the dummies? No comment - No comment directed at the suits at ESPN, no comment directed at Jason Whitlock, no comment directed at Floyd Mayweather, no comment directed at certain New York radio media, and no comment directed at an offensive and racist faction of twitter users. What Jeremy Lin has said, done, and is doing, before our eyes, is truly exceptional. It is not customary, it is not expected, it is even beyond being simply exemplary. There is nothing average about it, both in and out of basketball.

Jeremy Lin can, without a doubt, screw up tomorrow. He can get caught with cocaine and a hooker at a New York City club or during a long West Coast trip. He can say yes to a date with Kim Kardashian. An old arrest warrant could come out from his past or an old girlfriend could claim abuse (It has recently been reported that he sometimes eats junk food and plays video games in his spare time, yikes!).

We've all seen stars come crashing down. We almost anticipate it now. Indeed, with all the media coverage bestowed upon him, it may come sooner rather than later. Until then, however, look to Jeremy Lin when the role model question arises. We should continue to use traits such as being "humble" and "working hard" as tests for being a role model, but we should expect more, much more. We should not settle for just these if we want to push ourselves to new heights. If we do settle, we would be diminishing the concept of role models, diminishing the heroes we cheer for, and diminishing our potential to one day become role models ourselves.

@gwillchi

SMH

This linsanity NEVER ENDS

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Who the f*** is gwill and why am I supposed to care?

Calm down now, its just a article in chicagonow. You should be able to relate to posting bulls*** in the Nba thread. ;)