2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
That reads like something out of the Onion. That's a horribly awful deal for the Lakers.

Well, maybe since the Lakers had Gasol given to them for nothing, they're required to give him away 5 years later.

Either that or maybe CJ's value has somehow gone through the roof.

Edit: Any chance that doing that deal would take the Lakers out of luxury tax territory, where there would be big savings for them?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Well, maybe since the Lakers had Gasol given to them for nothing, they're required to give him away 5 years later.

I wouldn't say Marc Gasol is "nothing," but I appreciate what you were going for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Edit: Any chance that doing that deal would take the Lakers out of luxury tax territory, where there would be big savings for them?

After checking, no the Lakers would still be in luxury tax territory the next 2 years, and so that deal would keep them as repeat offenders.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Is Pekovic capable of keeping, up this recent torrid pace?

By this do you mean is he a 20/10 player? No.

However, there's something to be said for his offensive efficiency around the rim, and as long as Rubio continues to give him the ball in the right spot, he'll continue to be a solid option at the five. He does a great job using his size to get great offensive position and has made a huge stride in using his size on the defensive end, which is cutting down on his biggest problem from a season ago (foul trouble).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Oh my goodness. Will somebody please come up with a realistic scenario in which the Bulls can beat Miami 4 times in May? It's scary how much better Miami is this year compared to last.

We can go Tanya Harding on LBJ's knee.

Seriously though, I agree with those who think a healthy Bulls team can compete, Miami should be favorites because they beat Chicago last year but nothing is guaranteed...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 08:13 PM)
Healthy Bulls beat the Heat.

Rose and Rip looked damn good together when they were, Boozer and Noah are gelling, and Deng is the glue. Get the bench back into form when Rose returns and things will be good.

We kind of forget that Rose had a bum ankle from the Pacers series and it slowed him down, Noah was nowhere the player he was before he was injured so hopefully they'll be healthy this time, it will make a big difference.

The biggest concern for me is if we have enough outside shooting to get over the hump vs Miami, the Mavs were able to beat Miami because their shots were falling (Terry, Barea, Kidd).

Deng, Hamilton and (ugh) Korver will have to make Miami pay

when they pack the paint and draw all their focus on Rose, the shots will be there, just gotta make them (Korver missed a bunch of open looks last year and frankly I'm not too confident he'll step it

up this time either, hope I'm wrong).

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
Rumors of a Boozer for Gasol type deal circulating. 2 good to be true.

Why the hell would the Lakers do that...?

Other than them trying to lure Howard with one of his best buddies?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
CJ+Boozer for Gasol. No way that is actually true.

Definitely not.

But if the Bulls were willing to throw in say the Bobcats pick + Mirotic, then I think the Lakers would at least discuss that one.

They're pretty desperate to get Sessions, so perhaps a 3 way deal also?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
I think he meant total, game in the 3rd.

FWIW Howard went 28 and 20 in the last game.

I blame SVG for not getting him involved enough on the offensive end today. I mean Glen Davis, Von Wafer and Quentin Richardson shot the ball a combined 28 times today and made 11 field goals. Ugh.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 02:08 AM)
FWIW Howard went 28 and 20 in the last game.

I blame SVG for not getting him involved enough on the offensive end today. I mean Glen Davis, Von Wafer and Quentin Richardson shot the ball a combined 28 times today and made 11 field goals. Ugh.

Chris Duhon is absolutely awful. The guy was jacking up 3's like he was John Lucas III.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 19, 2012 -> 11:41 PM)
Kobe would retire on the spot.
Link

"Basketball is such an emotional game, you got to be able to have all of yourself in the game and invested in the game. We didn't have that," Bryant said after Gasol had 17 points and 12 rebounds against the Suns. "Pau, it's hard for Pau because of all this trade talk and all this other stuff, it's hard for him to kind of invest himself completely or immerse himself completely into games when he's hearing trade talk every other day. I wish management would come out and either trade him or not trade him."

Bryant made it clear that he prefers that the Lakers choose to not trade Gasol, the four-time All-Star who Bryant paired with to win consecutive championships in 2009 and 2010.

"I talked to (Gasol) a little bit about it," Bryant said. "It's just tough for a player to give his all when you don't know if you're going to be here tomorrow. I'd rather them not trade him at all. If they're going to do something, I wish they would just (expletive) do it. If they're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it. This way he can be comfortable, he can go out, he can play and he can invest all of himself into the game."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)
The Lakers are already running D-leaguers out there in Fisher and Metta World Peace. Boozer at the 4 in the west? lmao. Kobe would retire on the spot.

yeah boozer at the 4 in the west has never happened.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
yeah boozer at the 4 in the west has never happened.

And back then you didn't have Love, Blake, Aldridge, Millsap, Ibaka, etc. And Carlos is older, slower and only produces against eastern conference garbage. There's also no Deron Williams to make him look better than he is.

Edited by Jordan4life