2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait what?

I never said Howard was better than Malone, I said Malone didnt play Center, which is true. That being said, Howard has put up similar per as Malone through age 26.

For perspective here is the 36 minute pers:

Malone: 24/10/1 (points, rebounds, blocks)

Howard: 18/13/3

Not that it matters, the point was Malone plays PF not C, so Howard and Malone arent really similar comparisons in how the game is played. Malone couldnt lock down Centers.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Wait what?

I never said Howard was better than Malone, I said Malone didnt play Center, which is true. That being said, Howard has put up similar per as Malone through age 26.

For perspective here is the 36 minute pers:

Malone: 24/10/1 (points, rebounds, blocks)

Howard: 18/13/3

Not that it matters, the point was Malone plays PF not C, so Howard and Malone arent really similar comparisons in how the game is played. Malone couldnt lock down Centers.

You said Top 3 at their positions, so I posted the most comparable thing in recent memory. Only reason Shaq - Kobe/Wade isn't it is because Shaq is a universe better than Dwight.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
The only thing I wouldnt be all that pleased about is the more-than-likely inclusion of Hedo in the deal. but yeah, I agree with J4L. You do this deal immediately and twice on sundays

Id imagine Hedo is amnestied the next season if he was a part of the trade. Honestly I think if it was available they'd do everything in their power to get Howard, minus trading Rose.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Id imagine Hedo is amnestied the next season if he was a part of the trade. Honestly I think if it was available they'd do everything in their power to get Howard, minus trading Rose.

Then of course, that leaves the Bulls stuck holding onto Boozer's deal with no amnesty option.

And basically requires JR to pay the luxury tax for those 3+ contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Then of course, that leaves the Bulls stuck holding onto Boozer's deal with no amnesty option.

Yeah, but with Howard/Rose getting double teams I'd imagine Boozer is going to get a lot of open looks and being a solid 3rd scoring option I could live with him.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)

Can't amnesty traded contracts.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
I dont think Malone and Howard are very comparable, Howard is a top Center, Malone is a top PF. The combination of top PF and top Guard has not been as successful as the guard/center combo.

Yeah, but Dwight isn't even close to the level of the previous centers in any of those combos, but if I need another example.

Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning. Both we're better than any PG or C that Jordan/Pippen had and that's what we'd become, the 90's Heat

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Howard is a f***ing doofus. Why didn't he say this before? Like 2 months ago?

Cause Dwight Howard is a b****.

(Which my loathing of Howard and love of Noah obviously makes me biased. That being said, Dwight >>>>> Noah in talent, but I don't feel like the Magic are in a spot to make us give up a lot more).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Yeah, but Dwight isn't even close to the level of the previous centers in any of those combos, but if I need another example.

Tim Hardaway and Alonzo Mourning. Both we're better than any PG or C that Jordan/Pippen had and that's what we'd become, the 90's Heat

Rose and Howard are better than Hardaway and Mourning. It would be more similar to a young pre-injury Penny Hardaway and young Shaq.... and who knows what those two would have been able to accomplish.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)
"Open to a trade" is code for that.

I don't want Code if the bulls are going to dismantle their frontcourt. You guys have convinced me that both Dallas and New Jersey can be on the market for a max contract this offseason...that's huge competition.

Didn't we just learn that 3 superstars (or at worst, two superstars and one all star) with crap surrounding them is still not a guarantee to win it all? I don't get this trade the farm for Dwight stuff. No thanks. I'll take my chances with a healthy version of this years team.

The Bulls should have won yesterday. That's despite the injuries and despite missing AT LEAST 6-7 lay-ups. Not contested floaters, but straight up lay-ups. Hamilton had about 4 on the break and Rose had 2-3. Nine times out of ten you get those to drop. Oh, and that game also included Lebron's ridiculous fall away three pointer with 2 seconds on the shot clock, and that complete screw job by the ref blowing the whistle and then Miami getting the ball. I'd say that was a B- effort by the Bulls and an A- effort from the Heat. And yet it was still decided in the final seconds.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
I don't want Code if the bulls are going to dismantle their frontcourt. You guys have convinced me that both Dallas and New Jersey can be on the market for a max contract this offseason...that's huge competition.

I didn't have any part of that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
Mourning was hurt basically every year he played with Hardaway.

But lets look, the per for both was 45 at their peak.

The per for Rose + Howard is 50.

And for further comparison, Shaq/Kobe was 55.

Rose/Howard could be a combination for the ages.

Mourning is the closest comparison to Dwight out there. Dwight is not Shaq.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Didn't we just learn that 3 superstars (or at worst, two superstars and one all star) with crap surrounding them is still not a guarantee to win it all? I don't get this trade the farm for Dwight stuff. No thanks. I'll take my chances with a healthy version of this years team.

The Bulls should have won yesterday. That's despite the injuries and despite missing AT LEAST 6-7 lay-ups. Not contested floaters, but straight up lay-ups. Hamilton had about 4 on the break and Rose had 2-3. Nine times out of ten you get those to drop. Oh, and that game also included Lebron's ridiculous fall away three pointer with 2 seconds on the shot clock, and that complete screw job by the ref blowing the whistle and then Miami getting the ball. I'd say that was a B- effort by the Bulls and an A- effort from the Heat. And yet it was still decided in the final seconds.

Rose-Howard is not Wade-Lebron, that comparison doesn't work.

Oh and the refs blowing the whistle actually screwed the Heat not the Bulls.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 30, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
Rose-Howard is not Wade-Lebron, that comparison doesn't work.

Oh and the refs blowing the whistle actually screwed the Heat not the Bulls.

How so? They got the ball and Chalmers shot 2 free throws as a result.